How To Fix Asymmetrical Skull ?

TheSir

Been researching craniofacial development for 5 years. Some pointers to start with.

- The skull will continue adapting to the forces it is subjected to throughout your life. The main cranial sutures never fuse.
- Changing cranial form will not take a decade, no matter your age. 6-12 months of consistent effort and right action will reverse significant amounts of craniofacial malformation.
- Tongue is a minor (though important) player in craniofacial development. Mandible is the predominant driver of development.
- Chewing is not as important as maintaining sufficient mandibular resting tension.
- Of the two main masticatory muscles, the masseters & the temporalii, only the latter is a postural muscle. The masseters should never participate in any postural effort. The temporalii always should.
- Keeping the temporalii engaged as a part of overall posture will over time pull the jaws, and the face at large, in their proper form.
- Asummetry of face and jaws is generally the result of asymmetrical engagement of the temporalii.
- Usually your whole anatomy is affected by facial asymmetry, so a full-body approach is required.

Feel free to ask for further information regarding any specific point. I've got loads of pics, articles, studies to share.

45h45h.jpg

Last edited:

keytothecity

Been researching craniofacial development for 5 years. Some pointers to start with.

- The skull will continue adapting to the forces it is subjected to throughout your life. The main cranial sutures never fuse.
- Changing cranial form will not take a decade, no matter your age. 6-12 months of consistent effort and right action will reverse significant amounts of craniofacial malformation.
- Tongue is a minor (though important) player in craniofacial development. Mandible is the predominant driver of development.
- Chewing is not as important as maintaining sufficient mandibular resting tension.
- Of the two main masticatory muscles, the masseters & the temporalii, only the latter is a postural muscle. The masseters should never participate in any postural effort. The temporalii always should.
- Keeping the temporalii engaged as a part of overall posture will over time pull the jaws, and the face at large, in their proper form.
- Asummetry of face and jaws is generally the result of asymmetrical engagement of the temporalii.
- Usually your whole anatomy is affected by facial asymmetry, so a full-body approach is required.

Feel free to ask for further information regarding any specific point. I've got loads of pics, articles, studies to share.

View attachment 20588
whats the difference between mandibula tension and masseter tension?

I actually started permanently flexing my temporali yesterday because I realized my face looks more structured when I do it.

I wonder what this will do to scalp hair, because scalp is much more tense when temporalis is flexed. I reckon most would think this was bad for hair, but I am not so sure actually.

TheSir

whats the difference between mandibula tension and masseter tension?
The masseters connect the gonion (the corner of the mandible), to the zygomatic bone (cheekbones) which, while offering good leverage for crushing food, doesn't result in any postural leverage. The temporalii, on the other hand, sit on a multi-sutural juncture between the temporal, parietal, frontal and sphenoid bones (the last of which a 'keystone' of sorts in regards to the whole skull):

Fossatemporalis.png

Thus, by engaging the temporalii, you will inevitably create a complex cascade of forces that will urge the skull to assume a specific form. I don't know if anyone knows the precise details of these mechanisms, but the following illustrations will give you an idea.

Screenshot_46.png
mEEDxtR.png
34g3g43g.gif (click to animate the gif)

I wonder what this will do to scalp hair, because scalp is much more tense when temporalis is flexed. I reckon most would think this was bad for hair, but I am not so sure actually.
Your intuition might be right. Though there are probably several reasons underlying balding, I think there is validity to the structural-mechanical theory of balding for certain people. One thing I have noticed is how many bald people tend to have a bump on the top of their domes:

afawfa.png

If you look at one of the pictures I shared earlier in this post, you'll see how temporalis proportion inversely correlates with such bumps. It's also interesting how stretching a piece of metal will result in similar strain pattern as the horseshoe pattern seen in male pattern baldness:

1561-figure-2.jpg

keytothecity

The masseters connect the gonion (the corner of the mandible), to the zygomatic bone (cheekbones) which, while offering good leverage for crushing food, doesn't result in any postural leverage. The temporalii, on the other hand, sit on a multi-sutural juncture between the temporal, parietal, frontal and sphenoid bones (the last of which a 'keystone' of sorts in regards to the whole skull):

View attachment 20589

Thus, by engaging the temporalii, you will inevitably create a complex cascade of forces that will urge the skull to assume a specific form. I don't know if anyone knows the precise details of these mechanisms, but the following illustrations will give you an idea.

View attachment 20590
View attachment 20591
View attachment 20592 (click to animate the gif)

Your intuition might be right. Though there are probably several reasons underlying balding, I think there is validity to the structural-mechanical theory of balding for certain people. One thing I have noticed is how many bald people tend to have a bump on the top of their domes:

View attachment 20593

If you look at one of the pictures I shared earlier in this post, you'll see how temporalis proportion inversely correlates with such bumps. It's also interesting how stretching a piece of metal will result in similar strain pattern as the horseshoe pattern seen in male pattern baldness:

View attachment 20594
I do not actually have this bump, but I have this typical bulbuos forehead and like in the second picture first example the sides are a bit bigger on the neurocranium than the rest of the head. I am happy with my facial development except for my bulbuous neurocranium that seems to be very prevalent in MPB, too. Neurocranium too forward in comparison to maxilla.

Now the thing is this: When I flex my temporali, it feels like I am applying force pulling the top of my forehead back and the sides of my neurocranium back. Basically, moving the neurocranium back while moving my maxilla forward and flattening the forehead but also the scalp in general (removing a bump on top if I had one, making my head more block-like). Although the backpulling feels stronger than the forward pressure on maxilla. Which makes sense, because I am only slightly recessed if anything.

Thats why I am doing it.

My scalp becomes hard while doing so and I wonder if all this is actually anti-fibrotic/anti-calcification/anti-fat tissue. My scalp feels more alive when I do it. It feels like a loose dead mass of fat and fibrosis when I let it sit without flexing my temporali in comparison.

Time will tell I guess, it's only day two.

The other thing to consider is that if I had never shaved my head, I probably wouldn't ever have noticed it.

Last edited:

keytothecity

View attachment 20589

View attachment 20590
View attachment 20591

View attachment 20593

View attachment 20594
would you happen to know if anterior pelvic tilt would cause an underactive temporalis?

keytothecity

oh my bad, I totally mixed up occipitalis and temporalis in my posts lol...
wouldn't occipitalis flexing offset the forward pulling force in the metal sheet picture?
what even pulls scalp forward?
can you link the paper?

Last edited:

BearWithMe

View attachment 20589

View attachment 20590
View attachment 20591

View attachment 20593

View attachment 20594
Wow, this is pure gold. The depth of your knowledge on the topic is incredible, many thanks for sharing this!

TheSir

oh my bad, I totally mixed up occipitalis and temporalis in my posts lol...
wouldn't occipitalis flexing offset the forward pulling force in the metal sheet picture?
what even pulls scalp forward?
can you link the paper?
It likely would, someone has written more extensively about this here: More on Hair Loss: Part I . I sadly don't have the paper the picture came from, it's been years since I saved it on my HDD:

AlaskaJono

To the OP:
I can recommend Cranial Sacral Therapy, which is quite subtle but can have powerful long lasting effects. And there is a specific technique in Chiropractic that in the 1980's was called "Nasal Specific Technique". I have done both, and now still enjoy Cranial Sacral therapy. The Nasal Specific is basically invasive- forcing a balloon up your nasal turbinates for just a few seconds, and you will cough and sputter momentarily afterwards. I experienced this therapy only 3X over a few weeks from my Chiropractor in the mid 80s, and my face changed with bones having moved obviously... the temporal lobes most noticeably, and also my face became more symmetrical. I was not worried about that as everyone has some Asymmetry. It definitely opened up my nasal passageways.

Then 15 years later I did get surgery for a deviated septum, it was moderate not severe, and that wasn't done for cosmetic reasons but because of decreased nasal passageways on that side. That also had the effect of increasing symmetry. ( I would hazard a guess that at least half of this deviation was due to sports injuries, and half ish due to my natural situation.)

Hope that helps. Cheers.

OP
S

success23

I am pretty sure my asymmetry is due improper tongue posture. I will post picutres soon.

keytothecity

I can fix nasal asymmetry in a few days of hard mewing
Depending on tongue posture, mouth breathing habbits at night etc it will get back to more crooked within weeks
Basically, getting facial symmetry + popping zygos is a function of willpower.
The buddhist way will give you symmetry, but not features
Hard mewing is the real deal. Im 29 and it works within days. But it’s hard to sustain

BearWithMe

To the OP:
I can recommend Cranial Sacral Therapy, which is quite subtle but can have powerful long lasting effects. And there is a specific technique in Chiropractic that in the 1980's was called "Nasal Specific Technique". I have done both, and now still enjoy Cranial Sacral therapy. The Nasal Specific is basically invasive- forcing a balloon up your nasal turbinates for just a few seconds, and you will cough and sputter momentarily afterwards. I experienced this therapy only 3X over a few weeks from my Chiropractor in the mid 80s, and my face changed with bones having moved obviously... the temporal lobes most noticeably, and also my face became more symmetrical. I was not worried about that as everyone has some Asymmetry. It definitely opened up my nasal passageways.

Then 15 years later I did get surgery for a deviated septum, it was moderate not severe, and that wasn't done for cosmetic reasons but because of decreased nasal passageways on that side. That also had the effect of increasing symmetry. ( I would hazard a guess that at least half of this deviation was due to sports injuries, and half ish due to my natural situation.)

Hope that helps. Cheers.
This is really interesting. Was the change in your face obvious right after the Nasal Specific Technique, or was it changing over a period of time after the procedure? Do you think that change in breathing patterns (mouth breathing vs nasal breathing etc) played a role in the facial changes?

Also, would you share what kind of sport injuries you had?

YourUniverse

View attachment 20588
How do you engage the temporalii? When I think about using the muscles shown in the picture, my eyes grow wider. Is this what happens?

AlaskaJono

This is really interesting. Was the change in your face obvious right after the Nasal Specific Technique, or was it changing over a period of time after the procedure? Do you think that change in breathing patterns (mouth breathing vs nasal breathing etc) played a role in the facial changes? Also, would you share what kind of sport injuries you had?
Yes the changes in my skull/face were almost immediate: I had a slight asymmetry and both eyes were slightly lower at the outer edge (temporalis/temple area) as they had been my whole life. Within those 2-3 weeks the cranial bones shifted because of the Nasal Specific Technique. No question.

Sports injuries included wild **** boy fighting, football, full contact sports (colorful childhood); then as an adult skiing with a few accidents, full contact Ultimate Frisbee. Now I lead a more sedate life. Well, at least I think so.

Yes, about that time of the Nasal Specific technique I started to sit for meditation daily, and I would say that nasal breathing became more prominent.

BearWithMe

Yes the changes in my skull/face were almost immediate: I had a slight asymmetry and both eyes were slightly lower at the outer edge (temporalis/temple area) as they had been my whole life. Within those 2-3 weeks the cranial bones shifted because of the Nasal Specific Technique. No question.

Sports injuries included wild **** boy fighting, football, full contact sports (colorful childhood); then as an adult skiing with a few accidents, full contact Ultimate Frisbee. Now I lead a more sedate life. Well, at least I think so.

Yes, about that time of the Nasal Specific technique I started to sit for meditation daily, and I would say that nasal breathing became more prominent.
Wow, your results with Nasal Specific Technique are awesome, thanks for sharing!

OP
S

success23

IMG_20201227_140622 - Copy.jpg

So i changed where my tongue rests so far but i really want to speed things up. Any suggestions? ( no surgeries )
I was thinking about alternating one week of vitamin k ( bone growth ) and one week high dose vitamin A ( increases resorption).

GelatinGoblin

View attachment 20905

So i changed where my tongue rests so far but i really want to speed things up. Any suggestions? ( no surgeries )
I was thinking about alternating one week of vitamin k ( bone growth ) and one week high dose vitamin A ( increases resorption).

Eh don't bother with resorption.
No masturbation, Vitamin K2, Peat / good diet, Thyroid, maybe Preg, DHEA, Prog should give you plenty of bone growth.

OP
S

success23

Eh don't bother with resorption.
No masturbation, Vitamin K2, Peat / good diet, Thyroid, maybe Preg, DHEA, Prog should give you plenty of bone growth.

Why not bother? If i just focus on bone growth i will have wider yet still tilted jaw, amirite?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals