Tongue posture's role in stress, bowel disease, hair loss, and sense of smell (structure and function)

Greyfox

A little while ago I noticed my tongue was starting to go errant from overuse of nicotine. It was starting to press up against my teeth causing problems. I remembered learning about mewing years ago and decided to refresh my knowledge and practice proper tongue posture to mitigate any further damage. What I learned from this experience in my opinion is much more valuable.
Ray has talked about structure and function being dependant on each other and proper tongue posture is a perfect example of structure influencing function in my eyes. After a few days of trying to get the tongue in the right place, specifically the back part of the tongue, I knew It was doing something I hadn't anticipated. Every inhale through my nose with the back part of the tongue on the roof of the mouth, would increase the range of oxygen delivery further down into the bowels which would immediately reduce stress levels (The effect was much greater when I made sure my spine and shoulders were straight). One time I became so relaxed that I almost fell asleep in my chair at work. I am not one to fall asleep easily unless the conditions are perfect and I am alone. This is easily the deepest breath I have ever taken just by simply changing my tongue position. Not only was I breathing deeper into my bowels, but it also seems like more co2 was reaching further into my head. This lack of proper tongue posture could very well be a cause of calcification of the scalp and bowel dysfunction through improper delivery of oxygen, co2 which turns on the stress response.
I was curious about this effect more than the effect on my teeth, so I tried to find information on it online and found this article;

I also noticed it would open up my nasal passages allowing me to smell things better. The effect was nearly instant. I have pretty bad sinuses and sense of smell thanks to years of endotoxin so this was rather surprising.

This whole thing also got me thinking about dummies (pacifiers for you americans) and whether the pacification of a baby is due to this anti-stress mechanism. I wonder if they are achieving a more desired tongue posture with the suction. My niece wouldn't relinquish her dummy until she was well over the normal age to be using one. I wonder if it's because it was providing a genuine physiological comfort to her.

Another thing that crossed my mind was the role of tongue posture in oral diseases. Most people here know that oral health is related to gut health and that toxins in the gut can get on your teeth and tongue causing bacteria to populate there. Well sucking the tongue to the roof of the mouth creates a vaccuum, essentially sealing off the mouth. It's almost impossible to breath through your mouth this way, and the nose becomes the default way of breathing. I haven't looked into this at all, so this is speculation from my musings, so take it for what it's worth.

Due to intergenerational nutritional deficiencies, children are often growing with poor facial structure, leading to poor breathing and eventually functional problems leading to even more structural problems. I'm not sure how likely it is to correct this in a lifetime but at least we can derive the functional benefits almost immediately.
This is something you can try for free that may help with anxiety, bowel problems, sleep etc. I'd be interested to hear your experiences with this and if you have anything to add. I'm more than happy to learn more on the subject.

Liam311

Tongue posture is a very big component of overall health and well being.

It's the only muscle in the body that's disconnected at one end, a large reason to support the cranium and 'keystone' sphenoid bone. Ensuring correct alignment throughout the body.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

Tongue posture is a very big component of overall health and well being.

It's the only muscle in the body that's disconnected at one end, a large reason to support the cranium and 'keystone' sphenoid bone. Ensuring correct alignment throughout the body.
It amazes me that such a small thing can impact health so much. Even encouraging the development of the teeth and jaw. I saw one video where a guy described the tongue as a circuit closer. Saying it was also important for higher cognitive function. It wasn't very scientific, but at makes sense to me.

What would be the correct position to hold? it is said that you have to press towards the top of the palate?

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

Thank you! meanwhile I subscribed to the channel

GTW

George Catlin wrote a book 150 years ago, Shut Your Mouth and Save Your Life.
50 years later Weston Price studied primitive cultures worldwide to reach the same conclusion.
If tongue position accomplishes what you want, go for it!
In a broader view, breathing through your nose is key, the rest is corollary.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

50 years later Weston Price studied primitive cultures worldwide to reach the same conclusion.
Thank you for the sources.
I have been nose breathing for a long time but have never experienced the deeper breathing afforded by proper tongue posture. Both seem to be important, yet only the nose breathing is really emphasised.

ironfist

I have this habit of chewing my tongue. I gradually move my tongue over my lips until I find an uneven section and then I slowly press my teeth onto it and retract my tongue until the elevated section rips off. I have been doing this for years. I'm sure I have uneven tongue development on one side from the muscle imbalance. I wonder if this is part of why I have weird throat issues on one side. It's from stress. It's soothing and I tend to do it when I'm stressed or thinking hard or performing a confusing task.

The biting produces other bumps on the tongue, and then I tear those off, too.

It infrequently bleeds.

It doesn't hurt usually. I use different teeth varying with where the bump is. Side of the tongue = fangs and canines. Front = center teeth.

I suspect any muscle imbalance results from flexing my jaw in certain ways to do the bite. It's not usually fatiguing.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

@Greyfox Sounds simple but still I can't get it right 😱🙄
It takes a little while. i practiced it while at work walking around. When I noticed my airways opening up and the reduced stress, I realised my tongue belonged there. Remember the suction technique. It's good to try getting the tongue in position before sleep as it will help you relax.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

I have this habit of chewing my tongue. I gradually move my tongue over my lips until I find an uneven section and then I slowly press my teeth onto it and retract my tongue until the elevated section rips off. I have been doing this for years. I'm sure I have uneven tongue development on one side from the muscle imbalance. I wonder if this is part of why I have weird throat issues on one side. It's from stress. It's soothing and I tend to do it when I'm stressed or thinking hard or performing a confusing task.

The biting produces other bumps on the tongue, and then I tear those off, too.

It infrequently bleeds.

It doesn't hurt usually. I use different teeth varying with where the bump is. Side of the tongue = fangs and canines. Front = center teeth.

I suspect any muscle imbalance results from flexing my jaw in certain ways to do the bite. It's not usually fatiguing.
Maybe putting the tongue on the roof of the mouth will help it be less restless. I've stopped pushing my tongue into my teeth since trying this since it's all sealed off and locked down when i'm not talking.

Liam311

Tongue posture would be preventative in causing loss of dental arch room and general space. Lessening the likelihood of mouth breathing in the future.

GTW

Nitric oxide in appropriate physiological qty is generated in the paranasal sinuses. Doesn't enter the lungs or bronchial passages if inhaling through the mouth.
Both authors remark that mothers train infants to shut their mouths. Their postural method is tipping the child's head forward. After nursing, when sleeping.

sphenoid

The tongue is a major player in the position of the cranial bones, mainly due to attachments to the sphenoid as well as its relationship to the sternocleidomastoid and trapezius which move the temporal bones and occiput, respectively. If the tongue is not moving or positioned properly it eventually changes the shape of the skull and impairs the flow of cerebrospinal fluid to the brain and spinal cord. Stagnant CSF essentially causes the nerves within your brain and spine to suffocate, inducing a sympathetic response. Of course there are other issues that go along with this such as impaired breathing, postural deterioration, and further autonomic dysfunction (to name a few).

No matter what happens if your tongue is dysfunctional you will have a difficult time sustaining a parasympathetic state for any significant amount of time. Digestion will be poor, adrenals will be taxed, thyroid suppressed, and you will be miserable. This is a two way street however, as stress will impact tongue mechanics too. If you are exposed to any form of stressor whether it be from the environment or food (endotoxin), the tongue will have a difficult time maintaining its position and movement. I like to treat the tongue as an indicator as to stress or toxin exposure.

peter88

I know it isn’t fixing the “root cause”, but I reversed a lot of sleep and digestive issues by mouth taping for 3 years. I kinda just stopped last summer because I thought I could go without it but within a couple weeks I started struggling with my digestion again and my sleep progressively got worse. I’m planning on doing it again for the next month to see if I notice any positive change.

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

The tongue is a major player in the position of the cranial bones, mainly due to attachments to the sphenoid as well as its relationship to the sternocleidomastoid and trapezius which move the temporal bones and occiput, respectively. If the tongue is not moving or positioned properly it eventually changes the shape of the skull and impairs the flow of cerebrospinal fluid to the brain and spinal cord. Stagnant CSF essentially causes the nerves within your brain and spine to suffocate, inducing a sympathetic response. Of course there are other issues that go along with this such as impaired breathing, postural deterioration, and further autonomic dysfunction (to name a few).

No matter what happens if your tongue is dysfunctional you will have a difficult time sustaining a parasympathetic state for any significant amount of time. Digestion will be poor, adrenals will be taxed, thyroid suppressed, and you will be miserable. This is a two way street however, as stress will impact tongue mechanics too. If you are exposed to any form of stressor whether it be from the environment or food (endotoxin), the tongue will have a difficult time maintaining its position and movement. I like to treat the tongue as an indicator as to stress or toxin exposure.
Do you think long-term correction of tongue posture can encourage the skull to become more accomodating of airways even in adulthood?

Layne

Do you think long-term correction of tongue posture can encourage the skull to become more accomodating of airways even in adulthood?

Hi @Greyfox -- I don't know the answer to your question, but if you're interested in "accomodating of airways", you should definitely look into nasal specific. It's a technique that inserts a balloon into the sinuses and expands them when the balloon is expanded. Not only does it open up airways that may not be fully opened, but the pressure can also unlock cranial structures that may have become "locked" by a previous head injury or trauma, even dating back to birth. This technique has been used successfully for decades, primarily by chiropractors and Osteopaths trained in the practice. It can alleviate chronic allergies, and many other things such as seizure activity. It's even been reported to eliminate tinnitus.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals