How to BREATHE while mewing and why some people have no mewing results

JamesGatz

Introduction to mewing for those who are not familiar:

I see many people mewing have breathing difficulty or are stressed while mewing - please follow this method to ease your breathing:

Special thanks to @TheSir - this method is his he originally mentioned in the mewing thread but I tried to make it easier to follow for users on this forum

Step 1:

form a suction mew - how to perform the suction mew:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYcPpOB_i8&ab_channel=JawHacks

Step 2:

Straighten out your neck and spine (imagine if someone is pulling you up by your head with light pressure) - once you straighten out your neck up you should notice your shoulders drop down ... this is proper shoulder and neck posture

Step 3:

Tuck your head in backwards until you feel your back neck muscles "engage" the force - it should feel like your back neck muscles are flexing - While keeping your lips sealed - let your lower jaw drop a little bit - your jaws SHOULD NOT be shut or "clenched" while mewing - When you drop your lower jaw enough you should feel a strong force from behind the lower jaw pushing it forward - you should have a suction mew with sealed lips with your jaws open - keep your jaws open but lips sealed and practice continuing to breathe through your nose in this position - it should feel a lot more effortless - the neck is now REFUSING to let the lower jaw go back down into your airways and leveraging the lower jaw forward to free your airways

Step 4:

Your lower jaw should end up being pushed downward due to the tongue using it as leverage to push the upper jaw. In addition, the downward movement should either be in a forward or backward movement depending on your occlusion, posture and cranial structure.

As your jaw is being pushed downward by the tongue, it'll eventually meet resistance at the anterior neck muscles, which will prevent the jaw from descending much further. As such, an equilibrium of forces will be born:

1) the tongue pushing the jaw downwards
2) the neck muscles resisting this push.

The mandible would come to sit at a balanced half-way point between these two forces. As such, this mandibular positioning shouldn't feel particularly straining, but rather intuitive and effortless. By habitual I mean that this dynamic which I'm trying to explain should be adopted as a natural part of your overall body posture.

Step 5:

You should notice it much easier to breathe and you should feel the FORCE being exerted on your jaws is VERY STRONG - you shouldn't feel any pain or stress while performing this

Why do some people have no results from mewing ?

maxilla.gif

A few reasons:

In order for the maxilla (upper jaw) to move forward (it doesn't necessarily move forward - it grows bigger and then is displaced along with the mandible to free your airways)

... hence why it must expand

The upper palate MUST grow bigger (in width and length) in order to "move forward" if you are mewing by "pushing with your tongue" - no results will happen because the maxilla cannot really be "pushed forward" it can only grow bigger (by suction mewing - the tongue expands the upper jaw in all directions) - you cannot "push" the maxilla with your tongue and have it "move" - it can only move from your tongue expanding the space by creating an intra-oral vaccuum for long periods of time.

It is IMPERATIVE you mew with enough force with the tongue and neck working together to generate enough force and yield results

If you are mewing for "years with no results" as an adult - I can say with certainty you are mewing incorrectly - if you are generating enough force using this method you should notice results to some extent within a month ... please do not give up - make sure you are mewing correctly

There is only so much "space" you can gain from pushing the jaws forward without expanding the width of your upper palate - without expansion it just goes right back - by expanding it you are basically helping it stay there in other words:

hence why people with forward jaws also have wide jaws and correct posture without exception - this is not a coincidence - it must expand to reach that point.

aebd1f21c59cdc8c790b8d1e00c73a98.jpg

Check-out this image - notice for everyone on the left they all have NARROW jaws with poor forward growth and bad posture - this is not a coincidence - these are all linked - the maxilla MUST expand in all directions to achieve "forward growth" and posture MUST be corrected to maintain this

Last edited:

Quelsatron

I'd like some conclusive evidence that mewing actually changes your bone structure.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I'd like some conclusive evidence that mewing actually changes your bone structure.
What would you like me to show you ? Success stories of people that mewed correctly ? They are all over the internet at your disposal - I do not have "conclusive evidence" that it works - this thread is meant to show users how to breathe while mewing and why they may not have results.

The monkey in your profile pic looks like he mews quiete a bit :) I suppose that's the best conclusive evidence you can find off the top of my head

Razvan

Good. I would like to add that everything that raises DHT improves bone density and gets bigger, defined head. This is what makes you the most attractive,this is what will turn around girls heads everywhere you are.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Good. I would like to add that everything that raises DHT improves bone density and gets bigger, defined head. This is what makes you the most attractive,this is what will turn around girls heads everywhere you are.
I agree - I notice when mewing correctly my serotonin stays low and my androgens stay high - this is why I strongly believe it is imperative it is done correctly for the users on this forum

Razvan

I agree - I notice when mewing correctly my serotonin stays low and my androgens stay high - this is why I strongly believe it is imperative it is done correctly for the users on this forum
Best to lower serotonin without antihistamines cause in the long harm they cause low androgens as they lower D2 dopamine receptor and dopamine is directly connected to high T and high DHT.

Razvan

Best ways to lower serotonin I found are B3,creatine and tobacco apart from the usual stuff like bcaa + tyrosine.
Also I found that sleeping one hour in nature especially after being exhausted from sports will lower serotonin.

Quelsatron

What would you like me to show you ? Success stories of people that mewed correctly ? They are all over the internet at your disposal - I do not have "conclusive evidence" that it works - this thread is meant to show users how to breathe while mewing and why they may not have results.

The monkey in your profile pic looks like he mews quiete a bit :) I suppose that's the best conclusive evidence you can find off the top of my head
X rays, preferably. Mewing progress pics are usually taken with ****88 angles and jutting and head leaning with hypertrophied masseters and leaner faces, so they are horrible for true comparison. Not to mention that a lot are of teens who are still developing, where mewing might actually do something.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

X rays, preferably. Mewing progress pics are usually taken with ****88 angles and jutting and head leaning with hypertrophied masseters and leaner faces, so they are horrible for true comparison. Not to mention that a lot are of teens who are still developing, where mewing might actually do something.
I don't have x-rays unfortunately but this kind of proof might be on The Great Work - the best I have is probably this

results.png

The best arguments I make to people about the lighting and jutting the face forward is to take into account:

The angle of the ramus
The ogee curve is more positive
The length of the mandible

These I think are the 3 most clear signs of the maxillary upswing that cannot be faked by angling the head or extending the neck, only the upswing can really demonstrate these 3 things occuring at the same time

4AVnR6S.gif

I have always been skeptical of mewing. I believe is an incel-tier practice. I never have actively practiced mewing, I just shut my mouth and breathe through my nose. I don't think it works, all evidence is very hazy. There are things that might positively impact the skull structure, like vitamin K2 and D3, having high androgens, etc.

334c

ive heard that if u put ur fingers in ur ears and then open and close ur jaw - ur fingers should not feel the mandible moving. if you do - jut ur jaw forward and then open and close it - and u should stop feeling it.

they claimed that with ideal maxillary growth / projection your fingers should not feel the mandible returning.
ie the jaw would be developed and resting forward.

also makes me think of this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VF2ARMU-_4

-- -
ik this get gets a bad rep around here and rightfully so - however - i like to hold this guy as the strongman for the dht view of hair loss - in this vid he argued how there are numerous veins along the scalp, however the dentists theory claims the malocclusion / recessed jaw is blocking the primary root vein of blood to the scalp. perhaps this means that while there are many large veins on the scalp - yet they all are compromised in the amount of blood going through?? its possible hair cafe covered this argument in the vid. idk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icSupaq9hBA

--
sorry if this seems like im tangenting / hijacking the thread, i have no intention of doing that, just sharing some thoughts and connections i made.

reaching

ive heard that if u put ur fingers in ur ears and then open and close ur jaw - ur fingers should not feel the mandible moving. if you do - jut ur jaw forward and then open and close it - and u should stop feeling it.

they claimed that with ideal maxillary growth / projection your fingers should not feel the mandible returning.

-- -
ik this get gets a bad rep around here and rightfully so - however - i like to hold this guy as the strongman for the dht view of hair loss - in this vid he argued how there are numerous veins along the scalp, however the dentists theory claims the malocclusion / recessed jaw is blocking the primary root vein of blood to the scalp. perhaps this means that while there are many large veins on the scalp - yet they all are compromised in the amount of blood going through?? its possible hair cafe covered this argument in the vid. idk

--
sorry if this seems like im tangenting / hijacking the thread, i have no intention of doing that, just sharing some thoughts and connections i made.

It’s actually pretty crazy that you just synthesized a lot of what I realized this week when it comes to my closed sinuses and breathing and jaw being forward.

I didn’t know about the finger trick. And yup. My regular bite I can feel the mandible movement and when I jut out a bit like how I’ve been trying to do to breath better, I can’t feel it.

Scalp massages and massaging my face also opens my sinuses or maybe it’s just my nasal structure is closed from bad posture and tension.

In any case. Cool.

ivy

-- -

--

The first video is possibly one of the most useful things I've come across. I indeed had an open bite, my teeth have seen no friction until at least 37yo. I'm currently recovering from a molar extraction, but when these tissues heal I will definitely be digging into ways of bringing my mandibula foward. What's schocking is that I've worn braces as a child/teen and the widening of my mouth likely didn't help with the onset of hairloss at 15. To think that the intervention of renowed dentists in my hometown could've caused or enhanced so called AGA drives me nuts.

Jib

Awesome info. Been trying suction mewing and hoping I'm doing it right.

Also been paying attention to swallowing. I have dysphagia and it's pretty scary. I have to really consciously swallow most of the time or my swallowing reflex simply doesn't work. I'm hoping that by opening up my airways a bit more with mewing and working on tongue posture this problem can also resolve itself over time.

Again, great info. The suction mewing seems to create a natural oral posture as well that feels quite relaxed. It also reminds me of the importance of not talking so much. More time spent in silence is not a bad thing. I'll notice I'll needlessly talk to myself out loud a lot and it seems to be a stress response more than anything else, and is not helpful to my state of mind.

Also reminds me of George Caitlin's "Shut Your Mouth and Save Your Life" from the 1800's. Guy knew what was up. Talked about how Native Americans would close the mouths of their children if they fell open while they were asleep. Dude might be the original Mewer.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Awesome info. Been trying suction mewing and hoping I'm doing it right.

Also been paying attention to swallowing. I have dysphagia and it's pretty scary. I have to really consciously swallow most of the time or my swallowing reflex simply doesn't work. I'm hoping that by opening up my airways a bit more with mewing and working on tongue posture this problem can also resolve itself over time.

Again, great info. The suction mewing seems to create a natural oral posture as well that feels quite relaxed. It also reminds me of the importance of not talking so much. More time spent in silence is not a bad thing. I'll notice I'll needlessly talk to myself out loud a lot and it seems to be a stress response more than anything else, and is not helpful to my state of mind.

Also reminds me of George Caitlin's "Shut Your Mouth and Save Your Life" from the 1800's. Guy knew what was up. Talked about how Native Americans would close the mouths of their children if they fell open while they were asleep. Dude might be the original Mewer.
1.png
Screenshot (179).png

Yep! I notice that Native Americans in general have great bone structure - many of the cribs they constructed for their children for example seemed to encourage skull development (this is hinted in the video @emac posted)

There's another thing that helps that I forgot to attach to the thread which I put here for others as well - if you put your lips in an outward duck face (like the face the girl above is making) - the duck faces that girls do in photos where it's almost like they are kissing outward - you will be using your buccinator muscles to provide an extra 200 grams of force if I remember correctly - the force is quiet powerful and I do think it's very helpful to provide more force to expand and lengthen the jaws - as long as it doesn't feel stressful I encourage it - it gets easier and easier with time as the airways get bigger and more freed

Last edited:

ursidae

great video, tried this and unsurprisingly my fingers could feel the movement
I think mewing has some merits but the gains are very gradual and slow for adults and it's better for maintenance. if I want to at least have proper air flow (I have limited hope for reconstructing the face to what it was meant to look like) before i'm 40 maybe a Maxillary mandibular advancement is needed for my class 2 malocclusion
it's really expensive and invasive, and risky however i feel like it would be worth it
when I jut my lower jaw forward, taking an underbite position my fingers can't feel the clicking and my it feels like my breathing capacity has doubled

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc9jX8lZ7JY