Facial Structure, Mouth Breathing & Health etc

peatrespecter

Forum Supporter
I don’t post on here much often and this probably won’t sound as eloquent as it should,
because it is heavily worth being looked into.

But facial structure, foot posture, pelvic stability & mouth breathing (of course) can adversely or positively affect our health and hormones by a ton.
It’s why someone can seemingly be doing a lot of things correctly, nutrition wise, but they are still depressed, experience anxiety, or have mood disorders, headaches and severe pain in the neck and should regions…. that extend to other body areas.

A bit of it goes back to the head and the feet.
The skull and jaw directly influence our feet and posture, which goes back to blood flow, stress hormones, and nervous system.

I absolutely advocate for barefoot shoes especially if you don’t have a healthy toe splay, because crooked feet can twist the hips/pelvis… and if you’re a woman especially, who wore heels and such it can narrow your hips over time, which when it comes to pregnancy, you give birth and your child’s skull is now more compressed and smaller than its potential, due to intrauterine compression.

Which leads to behavioral issues and mood disorders if their skull can not properly grow forward and upward, compounded with the other issues that can cause ODD, or any diagnoses.
It’s why cranial sacral therapy is popular in some alternative health circles - to rebalance the cerebral spinal fluid… which affects everything.

If our sphenoid or ethmoid bone is compressed, one side of the face is higher than the other (drastically, not in a minute mm discrepancy) that affects our breathing and airways, and lack of oxygen IMMEDIATELY elevates our stress hormones, affects the CNS - putting us into fight or flight, and can lead to cognitive impairment because we are focused on survival rather than being present. Hence anxiety, panic, irritability, and depression.

Similarly, you can have a great toe splay but still have cranial distortion of some kind, whether that be jaw torsion, lateral strain, side bending rotation etc all which will block blood flow in the face, neck, and shoulders, and subsequently our thyroid gland… since it’s highly connected to the neck.

I wish I had the time to write a long PDF on this, but of course some people are doing it already on twitter, YT, substack etc - but it’s why people with “optimal” facial structure age phenomenally well into their mid 50s and can withstand a little more harm to their body nutrition wise - and tend to do well off in social situations, and in all other aspects of life. It’s definitely a unfortunate truth. Beauty is not goodness but we basically perceive these people with optimal facial structure as more “benevolent” and trustworthy. Hence why physiognomy has become so popular in certain circles, they are just misguided and make it out to be more distorted than it is lol

But for any of us who have a narrow palate, any oral ties, or any cranial distortions, or crooked toes/feet - you most likely have issues with sleep, mood, probably irritable or highly paranoid. Or you feel sad/empty and “nothing seems to work” etc you may want to target the structure that in addition to nutrition + minerals.
Cranial sacral therapy, palate expanders, septum deviation surgery (if needs to be fixed) lingual tie removal etc are all important topics to look into.

Cause eating healthy can only do so much if your body is actively resisting itself due to twisting or compression.

But it’s why some cultures were adamant about “bone shaping” and mouth closing for new borns and infants - native Americans used to actively close their child’s mouth when they were sleeping to develop their jaws and maxilla. Some Hispanic and African cultures would manually and gently try to shape their child’s face through childhood - since we are most malleable then. they intuitively knew that a crooked or imbalanced structure will also be reflected in the mind (and our hormones, nervous system, and how we perceive the world).

Dr Dean Howell has a cool podcast about the skull and how our facial bones move with every breath, and we have 28 facial bones that are *not* fused together. Been doing this for 4 decades I believe. But there’s great info out there if you look. It’s a really great episode

Oral ties with the tongue and lip will also affect breathing, speech, digestion, the nervous system etc. and most of people’s “mental issues” are actually dental. Since so many nerves in our teeth are connected directly to the brain.

It’s a very deep and fascinating topic to get into and look into optimizing, especially if you played sports or experience any injuries that may have thrown your musculoskeletal structure off balance at one point or another, especially TBIs and why their personality changes after injuries. If you’ve noticed, after injury is usually when some health issues or mental issues start to begin or we “act different”. :)

TheCalciumCad

I figured out I had a tongue tie about 18mo ago at 33years of age....thats a long time not to know something so basic. I'm very healthy and fortunately have always been a nose breather or it could of manifested much worse. The main issues I've had as a result are forward head posture, vision problems and hair loss which are all common as like 90% of people have poor cranial facial development tongue tie or not.

I found out I was tongue tied looking through the mewing world account on insta Login • Instagram i've been on their course the last 6mo, currently working on my palate width as mine is so narrow I can't even do mewing nor their exercises in full. My masseters were so tight when I started I could barely fit 2 fingers in my mouth now I can fit in 4, this has also helped TMJ to the point where its not noticeable anymore. My scalp is much more 'pinchable' which means tension is lower, but moving the structure forward allowing arteries to get enough blood flow the scalp will likely be years. The skull is extremely malleable at all ages as you mention and their course SHOULD fix most structure issues in the symmetry at least, the downside is it can take years depending on what needs to be done and obviously the younger you are the better (tho I felt a difference in my symmetry immediately).

OP
P

peatrespecter

Forum Supporter
I figured out I had a tongue tie about 18mo ago at 33years of age....thats a long time not to know something so basic. I'm very healthy and fortunately have always been a nose breather or it could of manifested much worse. The main issues I've had as a result are forward head posture, vision problems and hair loss which are all common as like 90% of people have poor cranial facial development tongue tie or not.

I found out I was tongue tied looking through the mewing world account on insta Login • Instagram i've been on their course the last 6mo, currently working on my palate width as mine is so narrow I can't even do mewing nor their exercises in full. My masseters were so tight when I started I could barely fit 2 fingers in my mouth now I can fit in 4, this has also helped TMJ to the point where its not noticeable anymore. My scalp is much more 'pinchable' which means tension is lower, but moving the structure forward allowing arteries to get enough blood flow the scalp will likely be years. The skull is extremely malleable at all ages as you mention and their course SHOULD fix most structure issues in the symmetry at least, the downside is it can take years depending on what needs to be done and obviously the younger you are the better (tho I felt a difference in my symmetry immediately).
Thanks for the reply! I completely agree with you and taking their course for two years is what inspired this post. I still have a long way too go as well, as my sphenoid is compressed and I have torsion to fix and that’ll take quite a while but I’m glad you’re doing it!

My friend is 34 and is doing the course as well and is see improvement in her cheekbones and zygo. She has oral ties and just got her upper lip tie done, it’s definitely a great stepping stone in experiencing relief.

If you do some myofunctional therapy before hand and then get your tongue tie removed, your palate will start to widen naturally as your tongue will be able to hold up the maxilla. I plan to get it done and I’m 28 - we def have time to course correct!

OP
P

peatrespecter

Forum Supporter
Their blog tooth for a tooth was very revealing with why some people experience depression until they started fixing their bite with strateca or the polymorphic pads - fascinating and tragic that a slight imbalance can cause mental turmoil that deeply.

TheCalciumCad

Thanks for the reply! I completely agree with you and taking their course for two years is what inspired this post. I still have a long way too go as well, as my sphenoid is compressed and I have torsion to fix and that’ll take quite a while but I’m glad you’re doing it!

My friend is 34 and is doing the course as well and is see improvement in her cheekbones and zygo. She has oral ties and just got her upper lip tie done, it’s definitely a great stepping stone in experiencing relief.

If you do some myofunctional therapy before hand and then get your tongue tie removed, your palate will start to widen naturally as your tongue will be able to hold up the maxilla. I plan to get it done and I’m 28 - we def have time to course correct!
My tongue tie isn't that bad so I'm going to maximise what I can from the course then have a consultation, I don't feel like rushing into having part of my anatomy sliced off as it's connected via fascia to all things. My palate is so narrow I couldn't have a release yet anyway. I was on a tongue tie group on FB and releases aren't always successful but the people there most just do myo and thats it, they don't work on the symmetry and alot of them use palate expanders which I imagine can cause other issues.

I saw recently one of the peater accs on X has started looking into malocclusion...

View: https://twitter.com/KruseYouri/status/1761696767752753449

View: https://twitter.com/KruseYouri/status/1761994502984896696

OP
P

peatrespecter

Forum Supporter
My tongue tie isn't that bad so I'm going to maximise what I can from the course then have a consultation, I don't feel like rushing into having part of my anatomy sliced off as it's connected via fascia to all things. My palate is so narrow I couldn't have a release yet anyway. I was on a tongue tie group on FB and releases aren't always successful but the people there most just do myo and thats it, they don't work on the symmetry and alot of them use palate expanders which I imagine can cause other issues.

I saw recently one of the peater accs on X has started looking into malocclusion...

View: https://twitter.com/KruseYouri/status/1761696767752753449

View: https://twitter.com/KruseYouri/status/1761994502984896696

I follow them too haha.

So for your narrow palate, are you placing your tongue on the bottom of your mouth, not touching teeth?

I know in the course they say not to mew if your palette is too narrow - where tongue then?
I’ve been trying to keep it up but that just tightens the hyoid bone and strains the neck further.

Upon reading this forum, @JamesGatz actually posted an alternative. I just tried it and my breathing instantly deepened and I started breathing from the diaphragm. I’ve never tried this technique because it pretty much goes against widely accepted proper tongue posture.

Going to try to for a few days in addition to the course to see what changes I see - but even chin tucking feels more natural with position. I do know for sure teeth shouldn’t be in contact u tik the maxilla actually moves forward or upward or else your jaw muscles will just keep it in the same suboptimal structure. Give it a try, did you notice a difference?

Attachments

• IMG_4823.png
    IMG_4823.png
    182 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4824.png
    IMG_4824.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 5
@peatrespecter Where should you start to try to correct and make your own assessments? If I understand correctly, isn't it a universal law that the tongue must be in contact with the upper palate?

TheCalciumCad

I follow them too haha.

So for your narrow palate, are you placing your tongue on the bottom of your mouth, not touching teeth?

I know in the course they say not to mew if your palette is too narrow - where tongue then?
I’ve been trying to keep it up but that just tightens the hyoid bone and strains the neck further.

Upon reading this forum, @JamesGatz actually posted an alternative. I just tried it and my breathing instantly deepened and I started breathing from the diaphragm. I’ve never tried this technique because it pretty much goes against widely accepted proper tongue posture.

Going to try to for a few days in addition to the course to see what changes I see - but even chin tucking feels more natural with position. I do know for sure teeth shouldn’t be in contact u tik the maxilla actually moves forward or upward or else your jaw muscles will just keep it in the same suboptimal structure. Give it a try, did you notice a difference?
Ye my tongue just sits at the bottom not touching teeth. I actually think that technique I was trying on my own before I learned the proper way to do mewing. When I tried Mewing it just caused too much strain for me which triggers TMJ, they told me they want the palate minimum 28mm before trying mewing (currently 26mm), I've lowered so much tension on the course I think i'd be ok when my palate is wider.

Korven

Ye my tongue just sits at the bottom not touching teeth. I actually think that technique I was trying on my own before I learned the proper way to do mewing. When I tried Mewing it just caused too much strain for me which triggers TMJ, they told me they want the palate minimum 28mm before trying mewing (currently 26mm), I've lowered so much tension on the course I think i'd be ok when my palate is wider.

Same as you I forced mewing for years without realizing that I most likely have a tongue-tie and narrow palate. This caused some serious TMJ issues and strain on my neck and jaw. I am pretty sure this is why I have gotten bony growth on my maxilla (buccal exostosis) which I will probably have to get surgically removed. I feel like such a dumbass lmao...

Last year after reading posts from @TheSir I switched to having my tongue resting on the bottom of my mouth instead, which feels a hell of a lot better.

There should be some kind of warning sign for mewing if you don't have the correct anatomy, e.g. narrow palate. I just assumed it would work for everyone.

OP
P

peatrespecter

Forum Supporter
Same as you I forced mewing for years without realizing that I most likely have a tongue-tie and narrow palate. This caused some serious TMJ issues and strain on my neck and jaw. I am pretty sure this is why I have gotten bony growth on my maxilla (buccal exostosis) which I will probably have to get surgically removed. I feel like such a dumbass lmao...

Last year after reading posts from @TheSir I switched to having my tongue resting on the bottom of my mouth instead, which feels a hell of a lot better.

There should be some kind of warning sign for mewing if you don't have the correct anatomy, e.g. narrow palate. I just assumed it would work for everyone.
Have you noticed that moved the mandible forward at all and it stabilized your gait when you walk? Yesterday was my first time trying @TheSir technique and it instantly made a difference.

But does that mean our teeth will push on the bottom arch and loosen them? Since the palate is narrow there too?

OP
P

peatrespecter

Forum Supporter
@peatrespecter Where should you start to try to correct and make your own assessments? If I understand correctly, isn't it a universal law that the tongue must be in contact with the upper palate?
I thought it was universal until realizing that your current state of asymmetry will influence where the tongue goes.

If you try to force it up to you will strain the neck throat shoulders and collapse the diaphragm.

I started with mewing.world to learn the terminology and skull bones since it’s compact and then looked for supporting literature. Their blog is informative.

I then look at postural restoration posts or exercises that work on the body as well - whether yoga, PT, GOATA etc and address the feet.

Craniasacral therapists can help as well. But I see a NUCCA practitioner

TheCalciumCad

Ye nobody talks about how it's not good for you if you have a narrow palate, I didn't even know I was tied until I read this post

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIBDsDh_XI/?img_index=1

@TheCalciumCad Is there a way to copy the text so you can translate it? It seems to me that Instagram doesn't even allow copying and pasting of comments ☹️

GreekDemiGod

Wait, what? Isn’t that one of the main reasons how recesses faces come to be, by not having the tongue on the roof of the mouth?
I’m not up to date with the latest, have researched mewing a couple of years ago.

@TheCalciumCad On the images I think nothing can be done or perhaps an AI while on the posts and comments it doesn't allow me to copy and paste. I think it's an IG protection?

@TheCalciumCad Can I ask you what do you recommend when the upper incisors are not in line with the lower ones?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals