Why your face has almost nothing to do with "Genetics" and why you SHOULD be Mewing AND Chewing

JamesGatz

As most of us know - the upper and lower jaws of those living in Western Civilization have continously declined over time.

Looking at indigenous people's on traditional diets - their jaws seem to be FAR wider and longer than those living in Western Civilization across the board - many theorize that their way of eating helps develop these strong, large jaws (strongly focused on chewing especially compared to the Western diets where foods are very soft and "easy" on the teeth)

Examples:

Australian-aborigines_500x372.jpg

A few relevant links:

Why should you care about the size of your jaws ?

4AVnR6S.gif

A jaw without forward growth with (either an underdeveloped maxilla or mandible or both) will have the jaws interefering with the extremely important tasks of breathing and eating.

A person with a forward upperjaw has a MUCH easier time breathing through the nose (larger nasal passage ways) than someone without one with all things being equal causing them to NOT have to mouth-breathe - creating a more ideal metabolic environment

A person with a forward lower jaw has a MUCH easier time eating food - especially without choking than someone without a forward lower jaw - the food ways are larger and not blocked by the lower jaw

Notice for the image I posted below - the people on the right have STRAIGHT jaws - when your jaws are pushed forward - they become straighter - when they are NOT straight - they are facing DOWNWARD - blocking air and food ways to some extent - ruining your posture because you have to adjust your neck (lean your neck forward to breath freely)

aebd1f21c59cdc8c790b8d1e00c73a98.jpg

Luckily the length and the width of the upper and lower jaws don't seem to be related to genetics and seem to be something more:

Most of us are familiar with mewing (if you are not I will link to a thread that is a very good introduction) - the act of flattening out the tongue over the roof of the mouth to expand the width and length of the upper jaw over time - overtime this pushes the upper jaw forward and expands the width of the upper jaws - Making it easier for you to BREATHE and EAT overtime -

There is one problem with Mewing - it focuses attention on the UPPER jaw MAINLY - neglecting attention to the LOWER jaw - some people claim that expanding the upper jaw "automatically" forces the lower jaw to adjust - I personally do not think the lower jaw adjusts that much WITHOUT direct attention to it - if this was the case I think mostly everyone that had a large upper jaw would have a large lower jaw as well - this doesn't seem to be the case -

it seems that most people have one or the other (and their other jaw ends up as underdeveloped as a result)

so what do people look like when they have a stronger upper jaw but an UNDERDEVELOPED lower jaw (mewing [tongue resting at the roof of the mouth] alone with little to no attention to the lower jaw) ?

Jon_Hamm_at_PaleyFest_2014.jpg
DaaRXxiXcAAFVIb.jpg

For people who don't mew (and KEEP their tongue resting at the bottom of the mouth to DEVELOP a lower jaw with little to NO attention to the upper jaw) - their faces develop as follows

EN9Q3HCWAAI0vEX.jpg

This is one of the best cases scenario for each - most people don't develop like this WITHOUT a conscious effort

For people who have BOTH (extremely rare in western civilization) they develop as follows:

gettyimages-119316696-1576171959.jpg
051364959f28400a106c55481005854d.jpg

Many people claim that Mewing "only works" if you are young and your bones are "malleable" - It is NO secret that looks tend to DECLINE as "people get older" - I strongly believe that the jaws are subject to change in width and in length for your ENTIRE LIFE - Without proper tongue posture for your entire life - your looks will decline over-time as with most people - causing you to have a HARDER TIME breathing and eating which subsequently will have a negative impact on your metabolic rate if you are mouth-breathing.

It is DIFFICULT to have a DEVELOPED upper and lower jaw - because using your tongue at rest to either NEGLECTS attention to the other jaw - MEWING is seen as beneficial because developing the upper jaw (for breathing) is probably a little bit more important to developing the lower jaw (for eating) if one had to choose between the two

The point of the thread is to work on having BOTH as BOTH are extremely important not only from a metabolic perspective but for surviving/thriving in general

Notice how for the lower jaw men their eyes look like they are melting (negative canthal tilt) the eyes for the upper jaw people look at a positive angle (positive canthal tilt) - the shape of the eys follow the upper jaw -

the larger and more forward your upper jaw - the more positive canthal tilt it will have and vice-versa for an UNDERDEVELOPED upper jaw

EN9VhC5XsAET3hz.jpg

Tongue posture does not just affect your BREATHING and EATING - it affects the ENTIRE way your face develops for the rest of your life - the size of your nose (more forward growth pushes the nose to become bigger) - the shape of your eyes AND the size of your skull (expanding the jaws will expand the size of your skull)

The purpose of this thread is to explore the benefits for mewing correctly and Mewing AND Chewing -

For Mewing correctly and for results in the lower jaw as well (strongly recommend for lower jaw - check-out what the @TheSir posted - very good gem for lower jaw growth while mewing ) :

Some of the relevant quotes for mandible (lower jaw) length and growth while mewing:
"
1) suction your posterior tongue onto the soft palate
2) drive your occiput upwards and tuck your chin in until these movements and the tongue suction become one.
3) lower your mandible (experiment with backwardly vs forwardly descending vector), until you feel your anterior neck muscles engage. Seek to habitually maintain this engagement, especially during inhalation. Note how your jaw comes to be sustained at an equilibrium of forces between the tongue and the neck muscles.
(4 optional) study the dynamic between lowering the mandible and elevating the coccyx. Both being the ultimate end points of the spine, posture-wise they function as complementary opposites.

"

Mewing gives attention to the UPPER JAW - expanding the width and length of the upper jaw - I recommend reading the above quote for the lower jaw while mewing. - It is Important to ensure you are Mewing correctly for lower jaw length

- while CHEWING gives attention to the Width and mass of Lower Jaw - allowing it to grow larger over time and to match the width and mass gains made for the maxilla.

Having proper tongue posture from mewing ensures you work and maintain a large and forward upper jaw - making it easier to breathe through your nose WHILE also lengthening the mandible as long as you are mewing correctly

Chewing and "working" the lower jaw ensures that your lower jaw expands in width and mass as well - mewing correctly however is EXTREMELY RELEVANT to the lengthening of the lower jaw however and it's adjustments to the skull

This is why I strongly believe for your entire life MEWING AND CHEWING should be combined to ensure that your jaws grow longer/bigger and also MAINTAIN that size - if you do NOTHING to maintain the sizes of your jaws they will inevitably get smaller as they do with mostly everyone you see on the internet -

27DC970100000578-0-image-a-4_1429708573323.jpg

Celebrities aging "badly" and celebrities aging "well" - what's the difference ? 10 times out of 10 - the celebrities that aged WELL have maintained or even INCREASED the size of their upper and lower jaws from proper tongue posture - the celebrities that aged BADLY all have decreased size of their lower and upper jaws - making their wrinkles more prominent in the absence of bone support

Good Introduction to mewing for those are not familiar:

If you have been mewing with no results you should make sure you are mewing CORRECTLY - I would strongly recommend watching this video on suction-based mewing (creating an intra-oral vaccuum):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYcPpOB_i8

Last edited:

Jonnie

Good to be back on looksma- wait a minute!

Too bad they extracted 2 upper premolars when I was 12, ruining my 9/10 young face. Life would've been easy mode.

Nice thread anyway. I will wait for tech that can regrow teeth to become publicly available.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Good to be back on looksma- wait a minute!

Too bad they extracted 2 upper premolars when I was 12, ruining my 9/10 young face. Life would've been easy mode.

Nice thread anyway. I will wait for tech that can regrow teeth to become publicly available.
Ha - I think this content is especially important on this forum because of the effects a face can have on metabolism - the looksmaxxxers have only one piece of the puzzle (the other piece being finding ray peat) Ray Peat I think solves everything but I don't see this issue discussed enough on this forum and think it should be given the effects it can have on mouth-breathing and metabolism

Jonnie

Ha - I think this content is especially important on this forum because of the effects a face can have on metabolism - the looksmaxxxers have only one piece of the puzzle (the other piece being finding ray peat) Ray Peat I think solves everything but I don't see this issue discussed enough on this forum and think it should be given the effects it can have on mouth-breathing and metabolism
Agreed. Super important to have good facial structure and function. I remember going into deep depression for 2 years after having my premolars extracted, and maxilla retracted.
Not a coincidence.
Also my nose became crooked within a year, my mouth smaller and my eye area sank in bringing the eyes closer together.

hei

My tongue doesn't even fit there; it's a waste of time unless you have good facial development to begin with.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

My tongue doesn't even fit there; it's a waste of time unless you have good facial development to begin with.
Mewing is a case I see described as -

The rich get richer and the poor stay poor

it is MUCH easier to push the jaws forward the more forward they are - it allows more space for the tongue to do it's work

If you are starting from the position that you describe (where your tongue doesn't fit) - it is ESPECIALLY important to fight from this position - The jaws HAVE to come out and giving up because it is difficult is not reasonable.

Even if nowhere near your entire tongue fits on the roof of the mouth - enough fits to fight for space over time - and it gets easier with every space that you gain

It is NOT a losing battle as you describe but it is extremely difficult to gain ground - definitely not impossible - the jaws have to come out and they will come out over time as long as you are fighting for space

hei

No, there isn't enough width. My whole tongue except for the tip is too wide to fit into any part of my palate. I'm a totally degenerated specimen.
If I get just the right spot the middle of my forehead starts burning, but my tongue wears out after a few minutes and then I can't reliably hit the spot again until after I forget about it.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

No, there isn't enough width. My whole tongue except for the tip is too wide to fit into any part of my palate. I'm a totally degenerated specimen.
If I get just the right spot the middle of my forehead starts burning, but my tongue wears out after a few minutes and then I can't reliably hit the spot again until after I forget about it.
My friend - I have been there - I know how hopeless it feels.

If your tongue is wearing out after a few minutes you are probably not mewing correctly- if you are suction-based mewing or have it in a vaccuum you should be able to hold it for hours with no issues - it should feel like little to no effort.

This is a really good video on teaching suction-based mewing and how different it feels from "pushing" with the tongue - I would strongly recommend it

Jing

I've been mewing since I was about 18 now I'm 27 no difference to my jaw.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I've been mewing since I was about 18 now I'm 27 no difference to my jaw.
Have you been suction-based mewing with your tongue in a vaccuum like the video I posted above or "pushing the jaws" with the tongue ? I have a strong feeling most people that say they mew do not mew correctly - I had no results when I mewed incorrectly versus very noticeable results in months when I did start mewing correctly

Jing

Have you been suction-based mewing with your tongue in a vaccuum like the video I posted above or "pushing the jaws" with the tongue ? I have a strong feeling most people that say they mew do not mew correctly - I had no results when I mewed incorrectly versus very noticeable results in months when I did start mewing correctly
Like the video mostly

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Like the video mostly
Suction-based mewing is a very conscious effort (placing the tongue on the roof of the mouth and swallowing 3 times while keeping the tongue there to have it 'stick' with no effort) when people tell me they 'mostly' do it or they 'think' they do it - it makes me unsure if they are doing it

suction-based mewing feels COMPLETELY different than pushing the jaws with your tongue (what most people that 'mew' do)

Many people who mew push the upper jaw with the tongue until their tongue gets tired and continue to try again throughout the day - this does little to nothing to move the jaws overtime

if you find that suction-based mewing still does 'nothing' then I am really not sure in your case - if you create an intra-oral vaccuum you should feel your jaws getting bigger in a few minutes (you'll feel the jaws start to 'inflate forward' - I am not saying you'll have results in a few minutes but you will feel a difference in just a few minutes) - that's why I say for people who have no results are usually not mewing correctly - if you are mewing correctly you will feel your jaws 'inflate' effect in minutes and feel your upper jaw moving forward

Dr. B

As most of us know - the upper and lower jaws of those living in Western Civilization have continously declined over time.

Looking at indigenous people's on traditional diets - their jaws seem to be FAR wider and longer than those living in Western Civilization across the board - many theorize that their way of eating helps develop these strong, large jaws (strongly focused on chewing especially compared to the Western diets where foods are very soft and "easy" on the teeth)

Examples:

View attachment 28553

A few relevant links:

Why should you care about the size of your jaws ?

View attachment 28555

A jaw without forward growth with (either an underdeveloped maxilla or mandible or both) will have the jaws interefering with the extremely important tasks of breathing and eating.

A person with a forward upperjaw has a MUCH easier time breathing through the nose (larger nasal passage ways) than someone without one with all things being equal causing them to NOT have to mouth-breathe - creating a more ideal metabolic environment

A person with a forward lower jaw has a MUCH easier time eating food - especially without choking than someone without a forward lower jaw - the food ways are larger and not blocked by the lower jaw

Notice for the image I posted below - the people on the right have STRAIGHT jaws - when your jaws are pushed forward - they become straighter - when they are NOT straight - they are facing DOWNWARD - blocking air and food ways to some extent - ruining your posture because you have to adjust your neck (lean your neck forward to breath freely)

View attachment 28556

Luckily the length and the width of the upper and lower jaws don't seem to be related to genetics and seem to be something more:

Most of us are familiar with mewing (if you are not I will link to a thread that is a very good introduction) - the act of flattening out the tongue over the roof of the mouth to expand the width and length of the upper jaw over time - overtime this pushes the upper jaw forward and expands the width of the upper jaws - Making it easier for you to BREATHE and EAT overtime -

There is one problem with Mewing - it focuses attention on the UPPER jaw MAINLY - neglecting attention to the LOWER jaw - some people claim that expanding the upper jaw "automatically" forces the lower jaw to adjust - I personally do not think the lower jaw adjusts that much WITHOUT direct attention to it - if this was the case I think mostly everyone that had a large upper jaw would have a large lower jaw as well - this doesn't seem to be the case -

it seems that most people have one or the other (and their other jaw ends up as underdeveloped as a result)

so what do people look like when they have a stronger upper jaw but an UNDERDEVELOPED lower jaw (mewing [tongue resting at the roof of the mouth] alone with little to no attention to the lower jaw) ?

View attachment 28559View attachment 28561

For people who don't mew (and KEEP their tongue resting at the bottom of the mouth to DEVELOP a lower jaw with little to NO attention to the upper jaw) - their faces develop as follows

View attachment 28560

This is one of the best cases scenario for each - most people don't develop like this WITHOUT a conscious effort

For people who have BOTH (extremely rare in western civilization) they develop as follows:

View attachment 28564View attachment 28565

Many people claim that Mewing "only works" if you are young and your bones are "malleable" - It is NO secret that looks tend to DECLINE as "people get older" - I strongly believe that the jaws are subject to change in width and in length for your ENTIRE LIFE - Without proper tongue posture for your entire life - your looks will decline over-time as with most people - causing you to have a HARDER TIME breathing and eating which subsequently will have a negative impact on your metabolic rate if you are mouth-breathing.

It is DIFFICULT to have a DEVELOPED upper and lower jaw - because using your tongue at rest to either NEGLECTS attention to the other jaw - MEWING is seen as beneficial because developing the upper jaw (for breathing) is probably a little bit more important to developing the lower jaw (for eating) if one had to choose between the two

The point of the thread is to work on having BOTH as BOTH are extremely important not only from a metabolic perspective but for surviving/thriving in general

Notice how for the lower jaw men their eyes look like they are melting (negative canthal tilt) the eyes for the upper jaw people look at a positive angle (positive canthal tilt) - the shape of the eys follow the upper jaw -

the larger and more forward your upper jaw - the more positive canthal tilt it will have and vice-versa for an UNDERDEVELOPED upper jaw

View attachment 28562

Tongue posture does not just affect your BREATHING and EATING - it affects the ENTIRE way your face develops for the rest of your life - the size of your nose (more forward growth pushes the nose to become bigger) - the shape of your eyes AND the size of your skull (expanding the jaws will expand the size of your skull)

The purpose of this thread is to explore the benefits for mewing AND Chewing -

Mewing gives attention to the UPPER JAW - expanding the width and length of the upper jaw
- while CHEWING gives attention to the Lower Jaw - allowing it to grow larger over time and to match the gains made for the maxilla.

Having proper tongue posture from mewing ensures you work and maintain a large and forward upper jaw - making it easier to breathe through your nose

Chewing and "working" the lower jaw ensures that your lower jaw expands in size as well - making it easier for you to eat and moving your lower jaw so that it does not block your food passageways and make it harder for you to eat

This is why I strongly believe for your entire life MEWING AND CHEWING should be combined to ensure that your jaws grow longer/bigger and also MAINTAIN that size - if you do NOTHING to maintain the sizes of your jaws they will inevitably get smaller as they do with mostly everyone you see on the internet -

View attachment 28566

Celebrities aging "badly" and celebrities aging "well" - what's the difference ? 10 times out of 10 - the celebrities that aged WELL have maintained or even INCREASED the size of their upper and lower jaws from proper tongue posture - the celebrities that aged BADLY all have decreased size of their lower and upper jaws - making their wrinkles more prominent in the absence of bone support

Good Introduction to mewing for those are not familiar:

If you have been mewing with no results you should make sure you are mewing CORRECTLY - I would strongly recommend watching this video on suction-based mewing (creating an intra-oral vaccuum):

what aspects of the modern diet are causing the poor development, is it lack of milk, or is it caused by something new that was introduced like more starches?

who is the person next to henry cavill?

so basically mewing develops upper jaws, chewing develops lawer jaw?

henry cavill lacks upper jaw development? i thought his facial structure overall was near ideal!

Ben.

Not gonna lie, trying to have the tongue up there without muscular effort but rather some sort of sucking (altough personally i feel the swallong spit part just drys me out and basic swallowing is sufficient) realy leads to released tension and alot of odd cracking in my jaw joint.

Kinda fun to do. With practice that position should be easyily accessible within 3-4 seconds.

Im interested however in the lower jaw part ... what would be the ideal thing to chew? Xylitol+ calcium gum? Meat? Beeswax?

We should also not underestimate the importance of general posture and its influence it has on the jaw, especially the upper neck and the thoracic area.

what aspects of the modern diet are causing the poor development, is it lack of milk, or is it caused by something new that was introduced like more starches?

I think low vitamin d and k mainly, ontop of a lack of proper chewing.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I strongly recommend reading the @TheSir post on adjusting the mandible while mewing for mandibular length (Lower Jaw length) :

Very High-IQ stuff here:

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals