A Warning On Mewing

In most mewing instructions, people talk about where to place the front of the tongue. I think this is harmful.

The tip of the tongue will naturally find a comfortable spot if the back of the tongue is in the right spot. By providing instructions on the tip of the tongue, (unnecessary) focus is placed on the tip of the tongue -- to the detriment of focus elsewhere in places that matter. Most people, when first hearing about these ideas, think their tongue posture is already perfect because one part of their tongue is touching the palate. Of course, they have a downswung face so they're utterly mistaken as to what they are actually doing with their tongue.

In fact, I don't think any force from the front tip of the tongue is necessary to form a good face. It's all directed from what the tongue does in the back. When "mewing", nobody is placing any force on the bottom portion of the mouth, yet the bottom portion develops harmoniously with the top portion. Likewise, no force is necessary to form the front in harmony with the back.

Waynish

Did you focus on the front teeth too much? The tongue is supposed to put pressure on all of the teeth (teeth at the back and middle, fully touching all) and pressure on the hard palate.

I don't think it is necessary that the tongue presses on the front teeth. There is biodiversity here, but the requirement is that the tongue is *resting* on the roof behind the front teeth - whether it is just the tip or more of the tongue.

If you're actually trying to reshape the palate, then having the tongue in the right place will slowly do it over many years - but not completely. The only nice way to do it quicker is rolfing - yes they cna rolf your upper palate.

Ben.

It does nothing past puberty.
Thats like saying you can't grow muscles after puberty ...

Puberty is just the best time to fix this as you are in a constant growing and adaption phase, that's what i can agree with.

The question is why are teeth and jaws messed up in their position in the first place?

Straightening my teeth in the last two years with braces led to insane pain, cracking in my jaw joint, numbness, temporary hering loss, chronicly tightened neck and trap muscles and its also when my tinnitus started.
Now they are out and my teeth are moving like crazy but my shoulder mobility, jaw joint issues etc. improved massively (probably because they are going back to their "messed up" but "balanced" position)
A friend of mine had braces too and he never had my issues at all and his teeth stay perfectly straight.

Based of my experience i'd say posture work from the base (feet) to the top (head) and adequate nutrition (vit d, k, magensium/calcium) are important facors for proper developement/changes in our structure.

I just don't believe that like 80-90% of the population has broken genetics that cause displaced/missdeveloped teeth/jaws. My orthodontist tryed to pull that argument ... i swear ... if my eyes couldve rolled any further behind he would've called the church for an excorcism.

I would think the chemicals in the tape placed on the mouth all night would be more problematic than a tongue on the top of the mouth.

TheCalciumCad

I wonder if you have a tongue tie @InChristAlone ? I figured out I have one the other day when I was looking into mewing wondering why I couldn't get the back of my tongue on the roof of my mouth without it creating more tension in my jaw. Tongue tie's effect speech and create chronic tension in the body manifesting later as posture issues > TMJ > anxiety > fatigue > vision issues > hair loss etc.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIBDsDh_XI/

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

I wonder if you have a tongue tie @InChristAlone ? I figured out I have one the other day when I was looking into mewing wondering why I couldn't get the back of my tongue on the roof of my mouth without it creating more tension in my jaw. Tongue tie's effect speech and create chronic tension in the body manifesting later as posture issues > TMJ > anxiety > fatigue > vision issues > hair loss etc.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIBDsDh_XI/

I had my tongue tie clipped as a kid. But I'm sure there is still some level of tightness. The main problem was the second one, too narrow top palate, for my teeth to come together in resting position my lower jaw has to recess backwards. So I'm the 'dangling in the air' one. Mouth breathing at night my whole life got me here :( I can comfortably mouth tape though and I've been doing that for 6 yrs. I just don't understand why so many have the smallest palate yet don't have the issues I've had.

TheCalciumCad

I had my tongue tie clipped as a kid. But I'm sure there is still some level of tightness. The main problem was the second one, too narrow top palate, for my teeth to come together in resting position my lower jaw has to recess backwards. So I'm the 'dangling in the air' one. Mouth breathing at night my whole life got me here :( I can comfortably mouth tape though and I've been doing that for 6 yrs. I just don't understand why so many have the smallest palate yet don't have the issues I've had.

Maybe it's grown back and needs surgery again? mine isn't THAT bad but when my mouth is fully open I can't touch the roof of my mouth with my tongue. Slightly annoyed its taken me this long in life to realise I had a tongue tie :oops: Not sure on palate widening but that mewing acc is an interesting read.

“A simple test for tongue-tie

Stand in front of the mirror and see how wide you can open your mouth- then place the tip of your tongue to the back of your upper front see teeth and see what happens to your lower jaw.

Do you find yourself closing down significantly?
Are your neck or jaw muscles straining to make this movement?
Have you noticed other symptoms, such as being tired all the time or not having good breathing habits?“

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Maybe it's grown back and needs surgery again? mine isn't THAT bad but when my mouth is fully open I can't touch the roof of my mouth with my tongue. Slightly annoyed its taken me this long in life to realise I had a tongue tie :oops: Not sure on palate widening but that mewing acc is an interesting read.

My tongue is almost able to touch at full open so not very restricted. I think I'm a chronic clencher. It really destroys the muscles, teeth and joint. That post was really interesting thanks for sharing!

TheCalciumCad

Curious