Dry mouth and white tongue goes away when I take Thorne Basic B Complex, but comes back as soon as I stop. Does anyone know why?

I've posted here before about my dry mouth and white tongue problems. I recently found out that if I take a B complex for a couple days in a row, my dry mouth and white tongue gets better and better, I sometimes take 2 a day and I don't have a dry mouth for the whole day and my oily nose gets less oily. However, all these amazing benefits go away as soon as I stop for a day or 2. Why is that? According to my blood tests, I am always deficient in B12 and Folic Acid. I've been taking this B complex on and off for 2 months now and I feel like I should be all good in my B vitamins. But my dry mouth comes back as soon as I stop.

Here's the facts:

b complex.JPG

Things I've also tried for my dry mouth that haven't helped:
-Zinc
-Vitamin A
-Calcium and Magnesium
-Vitamin D
-Vitamin K
-Electrolyte Drinks (dries out my mouth even more when I stop)
-Probiotics
-Digestive Enzymes (helps give me bowel movements at least once a day but nothing for my dry mouth)
-Betaine HCL
-Iodine
-Trace Minerals (dried out my mouth even more)
-Tape my mouth at night
-Switched toothpaste to SLS free
-Drink 5 bottles of water a day (makes me even more dry)
-Always breathe through nose
-Gluten free diet
-Dairy free diet
-Eat fruits and vegetables everyday
-Eat beef on a regular basis
-Workout everyday (Always will)

I am 6'2, weigh 160lbs, and 24 years old.

Vileplume

I recently noticed that when I add berries into my diet, my dry mouth goes away. I thought it was the benefits of an easily digestible source of fiber, but it might be filling a nutritional void.

I wonder if liver or oysters, being high in B vitamins and/or micronutrients, would achieve something similar.

I also was very intrigued when you said that on long car trips, your white tongue goes away. I’ve noticed the same. I think our dry mouth issues share a similar cause.

Gut bacteria are responsible for synthesis of B vitamins.

The more supplements we take, the more acidic we become. Excessive acidity creates an underweight body as you've noted yourself to be. Working out increases total body acidity. Excessive acidity is correlated with lessened appetite.

OP
J

The more supplements we take, the more acidic we become. Excessive acidity creates an underweight body as you've noted yourself to be. Working out increases total body acidity. Excessive acidity is correlated with lessened appetite.
The thing is, I have been skinny my entire life, I do have an appetite, and I've only started supplementing about a year ago just so I could find a cure to my dry mouth. I don't think it's because of acidity.

youngsinatra

Increased acetylcholine. B1 and B5 are needed to produce acetyl-CoA, which then combines with choline to form acetylcholine.

I remember reading on the Phoenix Rising forum that multiple users report a correlation with B12 / Folate deficiency / and some other bottleneck that can lead to methylation blocks...see the thread called "Active B12". Coated tongue can also be due to intestinal candida and a poorly functioning liver.

Santosh

Does that apply to Betaine HCL supplementation ?
It's an acid, but a necessary acid that improves digestion.
Does it increase overall body acidity ?

pondering

Open the capsule and dump half out. Simple.
Yes, that has occurred to me, thank you. Just don’t want to waste the other half and end up spending more in the long run. Easier to control dosing with a solid capsule and save the unused portion for later. And sometimes I like to divide into 1/4 portions vs. 1/2, etc.

Last edited:
You know this from first hand experience with Betaine HCL ?
I speak from a standpoint of common sense. If someone increases their stomach acid, they will become more acidic.

Even if I did have personal experience, it wouldn't prevent your eagerness to try it.

If you do tamper with it, I'd be interested to hear your anecdote after two weeks of consistent use.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals