Facial Symmetry

Runenight201

So something that’s been nagging me slightly, and it might be a little vain, is that the right side of my face seems to be underdeveloped compared to my left side.

My right eye is “squintier” then my left, and upon smiling, my cheek doesn’t rise as high as my left. Also my lips don’t quite symmetrical purse back upon smiling.

I’m dead serious...should I start doing face workouts? Practice lifting the muscles on the right side of my face, including my eye, ear, cheek, nose, etc...? Has anyone ever fixed this or know anything about this? Would a chiro who’s experienced in facial/jaw symmetry be able to correct this?

Is this a muscular problem or a metabolic problem?

I’m definitely asymmetrical over my entire body, and interestingly enough, my right lateral muscles (that abduct my leg, and depress and retract my scapula), are weaker and also slightly dysfunctional (they click).

Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• 25BDCF94-7645-4F7D-985C-EDF12A91CA11.jpeg
    25BDCF94-7645-4F7D-985C-EDF12A91CA11.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 204
  • AAE9A7B4-64F1-45CA-8283-F03CDB30BA4D.jpeg
    AAE9A7B4-64F1-45CA-8283-F03CDB30BA4D.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 223
  • 2613CE73-EDCA-492F-91BB-17EB4118DB67.jpeg
    2613CE73-EDCA-492F-91BB-17EB4118DB67.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 175

Herbie

see a chiropractor or get full body massage or both. If the spine is not aligned it will reflect in face and make the face not aligned, making the eyes look un even or nose, can be from nerves not functioning properly due to spinal mis-alignment, partially blocking nerve supply to those areas. Different muscles being tight will pull the spine out of alignment.

Not sure what country your in but there sometimes are facial cranial people who can adjust things.

Ulysses

It looks like normal asymmetry. Nobody's face is perfectly symmetrical.

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

see a chiropractor or get full body massage or both. If the spine is not aligned it will reflect in face and make the face not aligned, making the eyes look un even or nose, can be from nerves not functioning properly due to spinal mis-alignment, partially blocking nerve supply to those areas. Different muscles being tight will pull the spine out of alignment.

Not sure what country your in but there sometimes are facial cranial people who can adjust things.

That makes sense and now that I think about it, there’s a whole bunch of rolling, stretching, and movement techniques that I completely let fall off the wayside that address spinal, neck, and hip health.

I’m going to incorporate a morning routine of rolling around and flossing my spine, on top of just making silly faces (see Mr. Bean) to ensure those muscles are getting properly supplied with blood. Ill see if that will correct the asymmetry over the course of a couple months. If not I think a chiro is in order.

It looks like normal asymmetry. Nobody's face is perfectly symmetrical.

What better motivator in life is there besides striving for the ideal?

Ulysses

What better motivator in life is there besides striving for the ideal?
Generally I agree, but not in this case. For one thing, it is difficult to measure symmetry and thus you will have a hard time tracking any progress toward your goal. Any improvement would be so slight or gradual that, therefore, you have no real way of knowing whether what you're doing is working.

Furthermore, perfect symmetry is not attractive, but rather, alienating. So, it's debatable whether an "ideal" even exists.

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

Generally I agree, but not in this case. For one thing, it is difficult to measure symmetry and thus you will have a hard time tracking any progress toward your goal. Any improvement would be so slight or gradual that, therefore, you have no real way of knowing whether what you're doing is working.

Furthermore, perfect symmetry is not attractive, but rather, alienating. So, it's debatable whether an "ideal" even exists.

Those photos were off-putting, very alienlike.

Yea, the more I analyze my face, the more I notice small little “imperfections”, and I don’t really like what type of thoughts and feelings can arise from being like that all the time.

I’ll just keep peating and working on my calisthenic goals, and let the result of that show for itself without obsessively working to fix every imperfection.

I should of checked the other threads on facial symmetry, which the similar thread suggestor very helpfully showed me, but it seems to be that good health and good posture result in better symmetry, and those are both things I’m after!

@Runenight201 You have a warm and open smile!

Thank you :)

Herbie

I almost vomited when I clicked that link. I think he means ideal for him, his highest potential based on what he exhibits already, probably can be achieved with balancing the body.

I have had drastic changes from one chiropractic adjustment in my face from adjusting my spine. I had a drooping eye and nose was not straight.

D

danishispsychic

So something that’s been nagging me slightly, and it might be a little vain, is that the right side of my face seems to be underdeveloped compared to my left side.

My right eye is “squintier” then my left, and upon smiling, my cheek doesn’t rise as high as my left. Also my lips don’t quite symmetrical purse back upon smiling.

I’m dead serious...should I start doing face workouts? Practice lifting the muscles on the right side of my face, including my eye, ear, cheek, nose, etc...? Has anyone ever fixed this or know anything about this? Would a chiro who’s experienced in facial/jaw symmetry be able to correct this?

Is this a muscular problem or a metabolic problem?

I’m definitely asymmetrical over my entire body, and interestingly enough, my right lateral muscles (that abduct my leg, and depress and retract my scapula), are weaker and also slightly dysfunctional (they click).

Any input appreciated.
Can you message me a pic of your eyes ( close up ) ( individually ) and your tongue and your fingernails ? I am pretty great at face reading.

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

Can you message me a pic of your eyes ( close up ) ( individually ) and your tongue and your fingernails ? I am pretty great at face reading.

I’m intrigued.

I do know that my physiological symptoms are highly variable to my food intake, and can change semi-drastically from what I’ve consumed up to that point.

More sugar means a whiter toungue, salt/starch/fat makes it pinker. Red, dopey eyes usually from too high of a starch load, bright and clear eyes from a high micronutrient intake (juiced carrots/spinach/beet root make them sparkle), dairy toughens up my nails, while phosphorous starches make them weak. Quite the complex arrangement of foods/symptoms, as fixing one issues brings other to the forefront. I could have screwdrivers for nails from consuming high dairy, but then a white toungue and digestive trouble.

baccheion

If bone is symmetric and fully developed, then asymmetry is likely due to muscle/fat and can be corrected by something like gum chewing. Less muscle/fat could be due to chewing habits, sleeping on one side (especially during puberty), poorer blood flow, etc.

sickunt

i had obvious changes in my facial symmetry for the past 2 years and i’m a 100% certain they’re due to the good nutrition i maintained throughout that time. i didn’t eliminate pufas tho as i still regularly ate salmon and almonds. i did however increase my diary consumption (eggs and cheddar cheese) by ten fold and was also taking desiccated liver pills on a daily basis.

we know that dairy doesn’t agree with everyone’s body chemistry, and in some cases might lead to hormonal imbalances but for me it was quite the opposite and it was the first time in awhile that i felt my hormones were actually in check. The left side of my face is slightly underdeveloped too so i feel u on that one bud. here are some pics of what i look like rn ....

Hugh Johnson

That is such bs but the link. Even a cursory glance shows that the artist Photoshopped things like the neck to be freakishly tiny in that one guy, made the nose thickness weird etc.

ShotTrue

i had obvious changes in my facial symmetry for the past 2 years and i’m a 100% certain they’re due to the good nutrition i maintained throughout that time. i didn’t eliminate pufas tho as i still regularly ate salmon and almonds. i did however increase my diary consumption (eggs and cheddar cheese) by ten fold and was also taking desiccated liver pills on a daily basis.

we know that dairy doesn’t agree with everyone’s body chemistry, and in some cases might lead to hormonal imbalances but for me it was quite the opposite and it was the first time in awhile that i felt my hormones were actually in check. The left side of my face is slightly underdeveloped too so i feel u on that one bud. here are some pics of what i look like rn ....
Nice to see another pro milker

TheSir

Exactly. There is no symmetry in nature.

@Runenight201 You have a warm and open smile!
Humans exhibit the highest amount of asymmetry out of all mammals. This is something that has increased dramatically in the past 100 years as people have become less physically active. It's possible to keep yourself from falling just by using half of the postural muscles in your body, and this is exactly what happens when people aren't physically active. The posture degenerates in a zig-zag manner, for example like right jaw, left shoulder, right oblique, left hamstring etc. Facial asymmetry often reflects hip asymmetry, since they are the opposite ends of the spine.

TheSir

These are alienating because the shadows and countours are unnatural due to how the same side is copypasted into both sides of the face.

ShotTrue

Personally I would recommending more jaw development, get the square jaw chad look.

sickunt

Personally I would recommending more jaw development, get the square jaw chad look.
yeah that's what i thought too. definitely something not easy to attain especially after being done with puberty. just gotta be patient i guess and trust the bone remodelling process.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals