How To Fix A Black-coated Tongue

Guacamayo

I noticed a month ago that my tongue (starting from the middle and to the back) has a thick black coating. For the past 10 years it was always a thick white coating but all of a sudden it became black.

I should mention that I have long-standing gastrointestinal issues (constipation and gas) and also Hashimoto's autoimmune, so gut dysbiosis has always been prevalent...I've tried everything and haven't been able to fix it.

Anyway, I'm wondering what the cause could be...The only thing that occurs to me is the Mutaflor probiotic I tried for 2 weeks at around the same time as my tongue issue cropped up. I took it because it was meant to relieve constipation symptoms, but speaking honestly, I feel as though it worsened my constipation.

Any suggestions of how to get rid of the black tongue? I'm guessing a good sterilization of all gut bacteria should do the trick. But charcoal and daily carrot salad haven't helped, and I'm not sure of anything else that wipes out both good and bad bacteria.

OP
G

Guacamayo

No, I don't take Pepto Bismol.

But Pepto Bismol blackens the tongue and stool because it kills off sulfur-producing bacteria (or it could be another form of bacteria). But I don't have a black-colored stool, just the tongue...and it's like a black/dark greenish hue.

frzntx

When was the last time you took a round of antibiotics (if you have)? From some of the Earth Clinic archives (not my direct input):

Okay, I just got my hands on an old Mayo Clinic Family Health Book. I'm going to copy what it says about "Black, hairy tongue": "An overgrowth of bacteria in the mouth can cause discoloration of the tongue. Some types of bacteria and yeast produce red blood cell pigments that may give the tongue a black appearance. In addition, the papillae can grow profusely, causing the tongue to look as though hair covers it." (Copyright 2003)

It is not serious. "You can remove the discoloration and hair-like growths by gently brushing your tongue with your toothbrush." You can pick up some Floss Picks, they are also tongue scrapers.

Anyway, it does point to bacteria imbalance - not sure if you are experiencing the "hairiness" or just discoloration.

OP
G

Guacamayo

I have both...from the middle to the back part of my tongue...

@frzntx So does this mean that a round of antibiotics should make it go better?

If so, do you have any idea which type?

As for me, I take probiotics and prebiotics quite regularly (around every month or so with one month breaks in between) but I haven't taken antibiotics in well over 10 years.

frzntx

I've come across people using antibiotics to reset the gut and correct a lot of digestive issues. For example, Danny Roddy talks about this (video at 2:53 specifically: The Danny Roddy Weblog). I haven't done much in depth reading on this or what types, but it may be worth checking out.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals