How To Determine My State Of Metabolism And What To Fix First?

Juniper

Hi folks, I have a general understanding of Ray Peats principles (but maybe kindergarten level) and was wondering if there was a best approach to determine my (and my husband's) state of health and what to tackle first?

For instance, I'm in my mid-40s, have been through some extremely stressful life events the last 5 years, and before that was running on stress hormones for years. Never able to have children. By all appearances I probably look like Im doing well for my age, but I really don't feel that way. Not overweight, but probably because my nervous personality uses stress hormones for fuel. My last checkup showed my TSH on the high end of the "normal" range, which I know is way too high in Peat terms. I have depression, anxiety and learned helplessness issues that I am trying to address. Have anaphylactic allergy to peanuts and soy protein (for some weird reason I tolerate soy sauce and soy oil). I still get hormonal acne every month. Foggy forgetful thinking. Many times I will snack on things I know are not great for me in the long run (corn chips, too many sour-patch kids, etc) because it gives me comfort in the present. I never really dieted, although was on the edge of anorexia when a teenager —one summer I started working at a restaurant that had the best smelling fresh made bread and most delicious butter that cured me of that path.

My life situation is currently in a better spot, hopefully for a while now, and gives me some brain space to try to understand Ray Peat and my state of health better. Anyway, is there an order to figuring out what to fix first or a process of elimination? Like thyroid > liver > glucose metabolism > PUFA level, etc? Everything seems to be interrelated, so one thing affects the other, but where to start? ...If there is already a thread about this, I would be grateful to be pointed in the right direction. thx!

Peatful

Hi @Juniper
Welcome -
As great as RP Forum is; his website is even greater:
Ray peat dot com

The first and possibly most important change to do starting today is eliminating PUFA from your diet/household.

The best barometer of health would be your waking body temp, your temperature (25 minutes) after breakfast, and your mid day temp.

Pretty simple stuff to begin with.
You are very aware of your weaknesses and are tackling that- so you are on the right track.

OP
Juniper

Juniper

Thank you for your response Peatful. I read through some of Peat's writings years ago before I found this forum. My comprehension isn't always the greatest so the forum has been helpful (I just recently signed up as a forum member, but have lurked for a long time!). I'll head back over to Ray Peat's site and also look into my temperatures. Thanks for the encouragement!

Peatful

CC793ACB-5896-4C38-9375-A10E3DA5FFB0.png
Thank you for your response Peatful. I read through some of Peat's writings years ago before I found this forum. My comprehension isn't always the greatest so the forum has been helpful (I just recently signed up as a forum member, but have lurked for a long time!). I'll head back over to Ray Peat's site and also look into my temperatures. Thanks for the encouragement!
This is a good article from his website.
Plus if your library has Kate Deerings book “How to Heal Your Metabolism “ I have heard it’s a great place to start and a readable resource- although I have never read it myself.

Last edited:

Peatful

4448DFC1-0B65-4C99-BCDA-9BF26D66F9FF.png

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I agree with everything Peatful advised. I found that just incorporating OJ and milk really helped me. The good nourishment went a long way in helping me recover from using stress to function. And avoid PUFA every way you can.

I find that I have to reread Ray Peat's articles to get all the information because there is so much in each one. So take your time and eat good food along the way.

OP
Juniper

Juniper

Have not heard of the Kate Deering book, will look into ...I suppose I have some homework to do!

Peatful

Have not heard of the Kate Deering book, will look into ...I suppose I have some homework to do!
It is based on Peat’s work and her own healing with Josh Rubin I believe.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals