"Peaty" Fruits & Vegetables - Easy Step By Step Recipes (Photos)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
SCALLOPED POTATOES

This is my favorite splurge meal nowadays! To keep from gaining weight with this meal, I just have a good plate of them as the main course, without any sides. I sleep so good on the nights I have these for dinner!

I make my scalloped potatoes with half red potatoes and half white sweet potatoes. Both of these potatoes have much less starch, than the typically made scalloped potatoes, made with russets. I warm a clove, or four, of garlic, chopped, in 2 cups of cream. I butter a glass pie shaped baking dish. I peel the potatoes, and slice them thin, on the slicing side of a big box cheese grater. I put a layer of red potatoes on the bottom, salt them, and cover them with a quarter cup of cream, and then do a layer of the white sweet potatoes, adding the salt and cream again. I repeat these layers about seven or eight layers deep. I cover them with foil and bake them in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes, then take off the foil and bake about 30 minutes more. Sometimes I put fresh herbs between some of the laters, but tonight I picked fresh rosemary from my garden, chopped it up and sprinkled it on top. Ahhhhhh….sweet dreams to me tonight!

“…small and large red-skinned potatoes, blue, purple and fingerling potatoes. They are low in starch and high in moisture and sugar. These potatoes are usually small and round in shape, although some varieties can be bigger.”

“Both sweet potatoes and potatoes contain similar amounts of fibre (2.1g and 1.6g in 100g of sweet and regular potatoes respectively) but boiled potatoes contain almost twice the amount of starch compared to boiled sweet potatoes (15.2g compared to 8.1g per 100g).”

I made another batch of my lower starch scalloped potatoes, and subbed in purple potatoes, so good! I am thinking I am going to laying in some greens in my next batch.

Attachments

• 6D1C3214-CCA9-490D-9128-6FF74EF788EA.jpeg
    6D1C3214-CCA9-490D-9128-6FF74EF788EA.jpeg
    738.6 KB · Views: 14
OP
Rinse & rePeat
CANDIED ORANGE PEELS

I don’t know why it took me so long to make these. I had wanted to since last year. Well I finally made them yesterday, and they were much less time consuming than I thought. I scrubbed the outsides of 3 ORGANIC oranges, juiced them and put the hollowed shells in a baggie and refrigerated them overnight. This step makes it much easier to gut them the next day. The next day, I used a serrated grapefruit spoon and pulled out the orange membranes and most of the pith. Then I cut the orange peels into strips. I put the peels into a pot and added water to cover the peels. I brought it to a boil and boiled them for about 15 minutes, drained off the water, which I saved to see about making an orange soda today with it, then I dumped the peels into a colander. I added a half cup of water to the pot and a cup of sugar and brought it to a boil, added in the peels and let it cook on low for about an hour. I dumped the whole pot onto a piece of waxed paper, but next time I will scoop them out with a slotted spoon. I let them thoroughly dry for about 6 hours. In the evening I tossed the peels in sugar, and they turned out perfect! I am thinking I may add some vanilla bean to the sugar water next time for a delicious twist, like a 50/50 ice cream bar. These peels would make a nice gift, maybe even chocolate dip the ends, for a third option. Ray Peat talks highly of orange peels saying they are good medicine for many ailments, a “super drug”, especially for pain. I asked him about other peels and if they have benefits and he said yes!....

Rinse: “Per your recommendation, I have been using orange peels in many places.(I attached pics of some of my places for them). Are other citrus peels beneficial too?”

"I think they are all good, as long as they are organic." -Ray Peat

1699369691744.png

Attachments

• A0FDB0C1-70FE-4FEC-A637-C85E11A055FC.jpeg
    A0FDB0C1-70FE-4FEC-A637-C85E11A055FC.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 16
  • 003E4BF3-2F79-4280-88FF-D4FA2DA29D0C.jpeg
    003E4BF3-2F79-4280-88FF-D4FA2DA29D0C.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 0E87FE63-5D03-42F3-A885-0E910E041B3C.jpeg
    0E87FE63-5D03-42F3-A885-0E910E041B3C.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 232C6BD5-AFA2-4CDE-9422-71E62FA02907.jpeg
    232C6BD5-AFA2-4CDE-9422-71E62FA02907.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 6C92DCD6-0629-4734-9583-71298EC94BCC.jpeg
    6C92DCD6-0629-4734-9583-71298EC94BCC.jpeg
    752 KB · Views: 17
OP
Rinse & rePeat
CANDIED ORANGE PEELS

I don’t know why it took me so long to make these. I had wanted to since last year. Well I finally made them yesterday, and they were much less time consuming than I thought. I scrubbed the outsides of 3 ORGANIC oranges, juiced them and put the hollowed shells in a baggie and refrigerated them overnight. This step makes it much easier to gut them the next day. The next day, I used a serrated grapefruit spoon and pulled out the orange membranes and most of the pith. Then I cut the orange peels into strips. I put the peels into a pot and added water to cover the peels. I brought it to a boil and boiled them for about 15 minutes, drained off the water, which I saved to see about making an orange soda today with it, then I dumped the peels into a colander. I added a half cup of water to the pot and a cup of sugar and brought it to a boil, added in the peels and let it cook on low for about an hour. I dumped the whole pot onto a piece of waxed paper, but next time I will scoop them out with a slotted spoon. I let them thoroughly dry for about 6 hours. In the evening I tossed the peels in sugar, and they turned out perfect! I am thinking I may add some vanilla bean to the sugar water next time for a delicious twist, like a 50/50 ice cream bar. These peels would make a nice gift, maybe even chocolate dip the ends, for a third option. Ray Peat talks highly of orange peels saying they are good medicine for many ailments, a “super drug”, especially for pain. I asked him about other peels and if they have benefits and he said yes!....

Rinse: “Per your recommendation, I have been using orange peels in many places.(I attached pics of some of my places for them). Are other citrus peels beneficial too?”

"I think they are all good, as long as they are organic." -Ray Peat

View attachment 57957
I saved the water that I boiled the peels in to make my candied orange peels, and added sugar to it, poured some over ice and added sparkling mineral water to it to make myself a soda. It love this idea of making my own soda, since there is always phosphorus or citric acid in sodas, and a whole lot more unwanted things in most of them as well. I bought some chopped ginger in the refrigerated section in the produce department to make a ginger soda next. I am also going to make a fresh rosemary syrup for another healthy flavor. Rosemary also makes a very good breath freshener and kills bacteria in the mouth. Look my soda is orange from oranges not food coloring!

1699468201267.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I saved the water that I boiled the peels in to make my candied orange peels, and added sugar to it, poured some over ice and added sparkling mineral water to it to make myself a soda. It love this idea of making my own soda, since there is always phosphorus or citric acid in sodas, and a whole lot more unwanted things in most of them as well. I bought some chopped ginger in the refrigerated section in the produce department to make a ginger soda next. I am also going to make a fresh rosemary syrup for another healthy flavor. Rosemary also makes a very good breath freshener and kills bacteria in the mouth. Look my soda is orange from oranges not food coloring!

View attachment 57987
Last night I blended my sweetened orange peel water with a splash of pineapple juice and some fresh minced ginger, poured it over ice and added the sparking water and boy was that ever good!

Beatrix_

I am going to do a blend of the orange and home grown Meyer’s lemon peels next. Post us a photo of yours!
Will do! Too bad I went to the farmer's market today but didn't buy any citrus this time, but it's a project for next week 👍

Last night I blended my sweetened orange peel water with a splash of pineapple juice and some fresh minced ginger, poured it over ice and added the sparking water and boy was that ever good!
Bookmarked it too ❣️

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Will do! Too bad I went to the farmer's market today but didn't buy any citrus this time, but it's a project for next week 👍

Bookmarked it too ❣️
I am going to be making an organic marmalade this week. I will post about it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is an interesting idea, dried and ground up banana peels in place of wheat…

“Every time you peel a banana and dispose of the skin, you're throwing away a tasty, nutritious snack.

In fact, a study last year found that if banana peels are blanched, dried, and ground into a flour, they can be turned into baked goods that taste just as nice, if not better than wheat-based products.”

“Unless you're a devoted reader of vegan cooking blogs or a Nigella Lawson fan, you've probably never considered cooking with a banana peel. But not only is it perfectly safe, but scientists also demonstrated it really is good for you.

When their experiment's products were taste-tested, consumers reported they were just as happy with the flavors as they were with peel-free sugar cookies.

You'll even get a generous helping of minerals and cancer-fighting nutrients. Enriched with banana peels, for instance, the sugar cookies made in the study contained much more fiber, magnesium, potassium, and antioxidant compounds.“

Logan-

start a YouTube channel
Do it. It would be a very good project. “RP-oriented chef makes delicious meals in simple ways with basic materials”. Thousands would subscribe, you could even make money off it.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Do it. It would be a very good project. “RP-oriented chef makes delicious meals in simple ways with basic materials”. Thousands would subscribe, you could even make money off it.
I don’t know about the notoriety, but I am going to give it a try!

Logan-

I don’t know about the notoriety, but I am going to give it a try!
Nice. A star is born. I think it’ll make you famous. I’ll watch them. There’s a RP diet, but many don’t know what to do with it. An experienced, knowledgeable, and motivated middle aged woman would be the perfect type to fill the gap.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Nice. A star is born. I think it’ll make you famous. I’ll watch them. There’s a RP diet, but many don’t know what to do with it. An experienced, knowledgeable, and motivated middle aged woman would be the perfect type to fill the gap.
I am a free spirited woman, so I don’t know if I could channel all my enthusiasm for health and life into a job. Someone would need to tame me.

Logan-

I am a free spirited woman, so I don’t know if I could channel all my enthusiasm for health and life into a job.
You don’t need to. You could think of it as a side project.

Here, nobody knows you and you are very limited in how many people you can reach. On YouTube, you are not. You also don’t need to make it perfect, I think. It’s a relatively easy thing to plan and execute. Just record one or two videos in a nice setting, good lightning, nice dress, a nice smile, have the ingredients ready and show them clearly, edit the video, and see if it will satisfy the standards for this kind of thing. You could learn from other homemade and successful video-makers’ videos. Editing is really the crucial part to make the video presentable and enjoyable, informative. I think you would love every phase of that project, and you would be helping many people in so many ways with a lasting influence. You could make series of videos with a focused concept for each, like your cooking threads here. You don’t need to rush it, just take it slow and easy, do these whenever you feel like.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You don’t need to. You could think of it as a side project.

Here, nobody knows you and you are very limited in how many people you can reach. On YouTube, you are not. You also don’t need to make it perfect, I think. It’s a relatively easy thing to plan and execute. Just record one or two videos in a nice setting, good lightning, nice dress, a nice smile, have the ingredients ready and show them clearly, edit the video, and see if it will satisfy the standards for this kind of thing. You could learn from other homemade and successful video-makers’ videos. Editing is really the crucial part to make the video presentable and enjoyable, informative. I think you would love every phase of that project, and you would be helping many people in so many ways with a lasting influence. You could make series of videos with a focused concept for each, like your cooking threads here. You don’t need to rush it, just take it slow and easy, do these whenever you feel like.
I do have people, weekly in my life, tell me I should do a channel or a book, with my health knowledge, cooking, gardening, and other things, but I hate the idea of the technical aspect of it. Maybe it will be in my future, and if it is I will know if and when the time is right, it is just not for now. Thank you for your nudge and confidence in me Logan!

Logan-

Thank you for your nudge and confidence in me Logan!
Yeah, anytime. I wrote because I am interested in cooking (RP meals) and gardening also. Very good subjects of interest. I think your “cooking for one” concept is especially in line with our times.

A few days ago, I saw a large beef heart, fresh (the animal was killed that day) in my butcher. I cut its own fat into small pieces, liquified it in a pan with heat, then cooked the heart (cut in cubes) in its own fat; just added salt and thyme. One could add many other things like onions, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, some leaves and tubers even; but I have a restrictive diet so I didn’t add those. Ate it, and it really energized me. Don’t know if it was the copper, coq10, or other micronutrients but it made a noticeable difference on me. You are what you eat. You eat a healthy animal or plant, it is as if you start to carry its essence in you. Like, it’s not truly dead if it is appreciated, cooked right, and eaten.

Anyways, if you make a channel, let us know.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah, anytime. I wrote because I am interested in cooking (RP meals) and gardening also. Very good subjects of interest. I think your “cooking for one” concept is especially in line with our times.

A few days ago, I saw a large beef heart, fresh (the animal was killed that day) in my butcher. I cut its own fat into small pieces, liquified it in a pan with heat, then cooked the heart (cut in cubes) in its own fat; just added salt and thyme. One could add many other things like onions, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, some leaves and tubers even; but I have a restrictive diet so I didn’t add those. Ate it, and it really energized me. Don’t know if it was the copper, coq10, or other micronutrients but it made a noticeable difference on me. You are what you eat. You eat a healthy animal or plant, it is as if you start to carry its essence in you. Like, it’s not truly dead if it is appreciated, cooked right, and eaten.

Anyways, if you make a channel, let us know.
Like your beef heart, I make an exceptionally good liver pate, and I don’t like liver. Freshness is most important and the smallest additions makes a big difference. BTW I have a “You Are What You Eat” thread too. I will double down in my new “Peating For One”thread since you like it! If I do more than this forum I will definitely let you know!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am already looking forward to it!
I finally made orange marmalade yesterday @Beatrix_ and boy is it ever to die for, like sunshine and candy together in a jar! I didn’t want to use any pectin and liked the looks of the recipe, I have linked below. I liked that the recipe used the whole orange, pith membranes and all. The extra step of soaking the sliced oranges overnight drew out a lot of the pectin. It was the easiest recipe ever. Besides slicing the oranges the night before the rest was hands off. I cooked the soaked the oranges slices for a half hour, added the sugar and cooked for another half hour and added a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice at the end, for my citric acid, and that’s it! I am going to try this same method to make a batch of Meyer’s lemon marmalade today. I made 4 one cup jars of marmalade yesterday with only three oranges! I used the pink Cara Cara oranges, which are my favorite, but a blood orange marmalade is going on my list to make too. I cannot find an organic marmalade, much less one without pectin. The one I was buying, made locally, was costing me $10 for a one cup jar, and now since it went up to $12, so I have been going without marmalade. This batch I made yesterday saves me $48, and taste much better too!

1705259841373.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I finally made orange marmalade yesterday @Beatrix_ and boy is it ever to die for, like sunshine and candy together in a jar! I didn’t want to use any pectin and liked the looks of the recipe, I have linked below. I liked that the recipe used the whole orange, pith membranes and all. The extra step of soaking the sliced oranges overnight drew out a lot of the pectin. It was the easiest recipe ever. Besides slicing the oranges the night before the rest was hands off. I cooked the soaked the oranges slices for a half hour, added the sugar and cooked for another half hour and added a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice at the end, for my citric acid, and that’s it! I am going to try this same method to make a batch of Meyer’s lemon marmalade today. I made 4 one cup jars of marmalade yesterday with only three oranges! I used the pink Cara Cara oranges, which are my favorite, but a blood orange marmalade is going on my list to make too. I cannot find an organic marmalade, much less one without pectin. The one I was buying, made locally, was costing me $10 for a one cup jar, and now since it went up to $12, so I have been going without marmalade. This batch I made yesterday saves me $48, and taste much better too!

View attachment 60365
1705286742161.jpeg

I have my Meyer’s lemons prepared and soaking in water overnight to make lemon marmalade tomorrow!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals