Korean Oxtail soup (Kkori Gomtang)

Fetch

Hi just thought I would post a few recipes I have been using over the last year and a half eating a peatish diet. These recipes aren't "perfect" but I have found them pretty useful and I think they are pretty good as far as peat, ease of preparation, availability of ingredients, and pretty tasty.

Korean oxtail soup

I know most peat eaters know there way around an oxtail. But this recipe is super easy way to make oxtails that I don't see around much. It's low fat and requires almost nothing other then oxtails. I usually eat it with a side of japanese rice or a bake japanese sweet potato and maybe some steamed or stir fried veggies. It's really good with a side of autumn fruit like asian pear, persimmon, apple or satsuma. It makes about 5 servings.

Ingredients:

3 lbs oxtails
water
3-6 cloves of garlic depends on how you feel about garlic
1 tsp white pepper preferably whole but ground is fine useless if ground
salt to taste
green onions shallots to top off

Trim oxtails of excess fat if desired, soak in cold water for an hour or so changing water every 20mins or so to leach out blood. This is not essential but makes a slightly nicer broth.

Drain oxtails of soaking water then return to pot and add 14 cups of water bring to a boil and skim of crud as it gets boiling. Reduce heat to medium low partly cover and let simmer for 3-4 hours till meat is falling from bone. At this point I remove the oxtails and strain the broth if you have over night and want to remove fat let cool and peel of coagulated fat the next day. If not skim off fat or use one of those fancy separator cup things. There usually isn't all that much fat anyway and if you strain the broth through a cloth it usual takes most of the fat with it in my experience.

Return oxtails to strained and defatted broth. Add garlic, pepper, at least 1 tbs of salt and maybe another cup or two of water depending on how much has evaporated. Bring to a boil lower heat to medium low simmer for 20-30 mins remove garlic and pepper. serve over some finely chopped green onions.

Hope this is a new oxtail recipe for someone out there and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Birdie

Hi just thought I would post a few recipes I have been using over the last year and a half eating a peatish diet. These recipes aren't "perfect" but I have found them pretty useful and I think they are pretty good as far as peat, ease of preparation, availability of ingredients, and pretty tasty.

Korean oxtail soup

I know most peat eaters know there way around an oxtail. But this recipe is super easy way to make oxtails that I don't see around much. It's low fat and requires almost nothing other then oxtails. I usually eat it with a side of japanese rice or a bake japanese sweet potato and maybe some steamed or stir fried veggies. It's really good with a side of autumn fruit like asian pear, persimmon, apple or satsuma. It makes about 5 servings.

Ingredients:

3 lbs oxtails
water
3-6 cloves of garlic depends on how you feel about garlic
1 tsp white pepper preferably whole but ground is fine useless if ground
salt to taste
green onions shallots to top off

Trim oxtails of excess fat if desired, soak in cold water for an hour or so changing water every 20mins or so to leach out blood. This is not essential but makes a slightly nicer broth.

Drain oxtails of soaking water then return to pot and add 14 cups of water bring to a boil and skim of crud as it gets boiling. Reduce heat to medium low partly cover and let simmer for 3-4 hours till meat is falling from bone. At this point I remove the oxtails and strain the broth if you have over night and want to remove fat let cool and peel of coagulated fat the next day. If not skim off fat or use one of those fancy separator cup things. There usually isn't all that much fat anyway and if you strain the broth through a cloth it usual takes most of the fat with it in my experience.

Return oxtails to strained and defatted broth. Add garlic, pepper, at least 1 tbs of salt and maybe another cup or two of water depending on how much has evaporated. Bring to a boil lower heat to medium low simmer for 20-30 mins remove garlic and pepper. serve over some finely chopped green onions.

Hope this is a new oxtail recipe for someone out there and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Thanks for this. I'm making it today. I've been looking back at posts from the old days and found yours here.

Birdie

I seem to recall Ray's saying around 3 hours max for the broth so I'll do that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom