I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes)?

freal

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
I discovered cronometer.com a while ago and decided to somehow eat more nutritious. Somehow my main calories came from like chocolate, heavy whipping cream which I rely on filling me up. I get to be fed up with a certain food like potatoes or whipping cream sometimes and generally I really crave things like pizza and mexican and arabic fast food.

I am not a fan of mostly sugary food and like my food to be salty, saucy, meaty (I hope this term exists) with some starch,veggies and spices. I like sweet stuff at the end as a desert.

Now I trying to get of chocolate since I found out that cocoa is the second most sprayed crop after cotton and am going easy on juices too.

What I am trying is to somehow find Peat approved well rounded delicious dishes. Since gluten is not good for us and Ray also does not like most grains its somehow hard to rely just on rice and potatoes. I also dont like to spend long hours in the kitchen. First I decided to incorporate rice pasta and only found some really expensive imported stuff from Asia that had some sulfur preservative and it just did not agre with me. I dont know. Then I decided on mexican and could not find masa harina anywhere but compromised on making my own wheat/corn tortillas. Tortillas I made suck and the store bought are full of preservatives. I found that making the mexican sauces is also very hard to make the palatable.

I really dont know, I havent been able to really find any Peat approved dishes, most stuff on the internet is gelatin deserts, fruit, sweet stuff and some potato stuff. Does anybody have any idea of any meat-starch Peat approved recipes? Or how to get masa harina in Italy, I think that mexican food could really be suitable on a Peat diet?? Currenty I have somehow compromised on polenta (cornmeal), corn pasta and gnocchi (potato-wheat flour) for starches.

Sorry for leaving to bed now but its 11 PM around here right now.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
59
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

Jenns' blog is a hotbed of recipes that may suit your fancy.

Not all are 100 per cent Peat (if that even exists!) but are pretty darn close and delish! Most if not all are gluten free.

Jenn's Blog
 

juanitacarlos

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2012
Messages
417
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

Hey freal. I'm a bit of slacker in the kitchen these days, and just make the laziest meals you can imagine. Stuff I would never serve to someone else, but fine just for me. one of my stock standards at the moment is sausages (from organic butcher) with pineapple rings and 1/2 cup of rice. And coffee and gelatin without fail. I just get some peaty foods and just whack em together. I ate prawns with cucumber (no seeds!) and coffee and oj the other night. Maybe just get a list of all the foods you want to eat and see what you can come up with. Do you have access to seafood? Good dairy? Lamb? Beef? Can you make a curry with coconut milk? Slow cook some lamb shanks? It's hard at first, but give it some thought and you will work it out. Good luck!
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

ttramone said:
Hey freal. I'm a bit of slacker in the kitchen these days, and just make the laziest meals you can imagine. Stuff I would never serve to someone else, but fine just for me. one of my stock standards at the moment is sausages (from organic butcher) with pineapple rings and 1/2 cup of rice. And coffee and gelatin without fail. I just get some peaty foods and just whack em together. I ate prawns with cucumber (no seeds!) and coffee and oj the other night. Maybe just get a list of all the foods you want to eat and see what you can come up with. Do you have access to seafood? Good dairy? Lamb? Beef? Can you make a curry with coconut milk? Slow cook some lamb shanks? It's hard at first, but give it some thought and you will work it out. Good luck!

This is what I am doing right now. But I really crave salt and sauces and kind of dont like to eat everything separetly. I somehow decided to start making some mexican style dishes but the summer heat blocked me from using me oven in the house for now. Its easy, you just have to have the tortillas and you can just pack the meat and sauce into the tortilla.

If I only could get my hands on masa harina to make the tortillas. Now wonder Ray Peat moved to Mexico, the food is awesome. The only thing i cannot stand is chili, but when the food is properly prepared i somehow like it.
 

HDD

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
2,030
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

I do rice bowls. Put everything on white rice instead of using tortillas.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

I see people here like shrimp and other seafood very much. Like about the shrimp I read that most of it comes from Asian almost seware like conditions. Do you trust this foods to be safe?
 

Jenn

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2013
Messages
1,035
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

If you eat enough sugar, pesticides don't matter, for most people. ;) I do not eat farmed shrimp, if I can help it....not that I eat of lot of shrimp, due to cost.
 

HDD

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
2,030
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

I don't buy the farmed shrimp. My grocery store carries a frozen salad shrimp that is wild. I use it to make shrimp fried rice, shrimp tacos, shrimp salad.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,757
Location
USA

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

Hmm. Frying everything in coconut oil is a good idea. But the cheapest jar of 400 ml I can get at my store is 4 euros. Frying chicken normally makes sunflower oil foam and smell bad and is not reusable.

Can you fry chicken and meat in it while reusing it. I also found that smoke point of refined oil is lower than that of polifats, its like 210°C while poli fats smoke at 240°C usually. That makes a deep fryer needed to control the temperature and a deep fryer requires a lot of oil.

But I did saw refined palm oil in the store, 3 liters for something like 8 euros. Economicaly acceptable but is 10%PUFA???
But on the other hand coconut oil french fries could make the oil reusable.
 

Jenn

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2013
Messages
1,035
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

I don't know how much 400 ml is? I usually buy it in one gallon (approximately 4 L) or 5-6 gallon sizes. I would not waste my money on organic coconut oil. Coconut oil is so stable and healthy, you can't really mess it up with processing, unlike olive oil.
 

Jenn

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2013
Messages
1,035
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

If we just make fries, we can just keep adding oil. if we make something other than fries, like onion rings or sausage or beef etc, we do need to pay attention to sediment and filtering....especially onion rings with the batter. I just use a stock pot and a thermometer and only fill half full. I use a lid to cover when done frying to keep dust out.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

400ml=0.4 liter. Thats the cheapest one, I follow the store sales, the coupon.

Well I see the coconut oil is not a massive crop, world production is less than that of olive oil even and most of it goes for the chemical and cosmetic industry. Coconut oil use in kitchen is pretty much limited to very few countries in Asia, like Kerala region India, Phipliphines and a few others.

Too bad and the refined oil poped on italian and european stores fairly recently, less then 3 year ago. Shipping massive containers of coconut oil from abroad is not economical I suspect.
 

juanitacarlos

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2012
Messages
417
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

freal said:
If I only could get my hands on masa harina to make the tortillas. Now wonder Ray Peat moved to Mexico, the food is awesome. The only thing i cannot stand is chili, but when the food is properly prepared i somehow like it.

hey freal - I bought some masa harina from iherb.com when I ordered some vitamins. maybe that is an option for you?
 

Jenn

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2013
Messages
1,035
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

freal said:
400ml=0.4 liter. Thats the cheapest one, I follow the store sales, the coupon.

Well I see the coconut oil is not a massive crop, world production is less than that of olive oil even and most of it goes for the chemical and cosmetic industry. Coconut oil use in kitchen is pretty much limited to very few countries in Asia, like Kerala region India, Phipliphines and a few others.

Too bad and the refined oil poped on italian and european stores fairly recently, less then 3 year ago. Shipping massive containers of coconut oil from abroad is not economical I suspect.

Pre Crisco, it was THE vegetable oil. Up until a few years ago, all movie theater popcorn here was still popped in coconut oil. LOT of food industry uses in the US. There are people here who buy their food grade coconut oil from soap makers to get bulk pricing. It's the same stuff, just different packaging.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

ttramone said:
freal said:
If I only could get my hands on masa harina to make the tortillas. Now wonder Ray Peat moved to Mexico, the food is awesome. The only thing i cannot stand is chili, but when the food is properly prepared i somehow like it.

hey freal - I bought some masa harina from iherb.com when I ordered some vitamins. maybe that is an option for you?

Oh, thank you, never though of iherb.com. That would work. Does iherb also have refined coconut oil, probably not?
 
J

j.

Guest
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

freal said:
Oh, thank you, never though of iherb.com. That would work. Does iherb also have refined coconut oil, probably not?

Of course.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

j. said:
freal said:
Oh, thank you, never though of iherb.com. That would work. Does iherb also have refined coconut oil, probably not?

Of course.

Hmmm. The price is the same as the one that I buy here. I think were are being taken for a ride with all coconut oil prices. I can remember when the coconut oil health stories started apearing on the internet 5-4 years ago, mostly for moisturing skin
(I tough it was bad for cooking because it was mostly saturatted) and I remember I went to the store and on the oriental food section there were like 2 or 3 KTC coconut oil jars hidden behind the soy sauce and I bought the KTC coconut oil and it was something like 1.99 euros. I used it on my skin for a month and then I remember I tossed it away when I saw the bottle was from PVC plastic. Now its like over 6 euros.
Are there any asian people on the forum, how much does coconut oil cost in Asia??

Well yea, I "b****" a lot, wont do it anymore I promise.
 

Jenn

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2013
Messages
1,035
Re: I`m searching for some rounded Peatarian dishes (recipes

Coconut oil prices have gone up since the popularity of coconut water (coconuts picked young don't mature to make coconut oil later) AND some bad weather affecting the crop 2-3 years ago. Once prices go up, they are slow to come down again.
 

Similar threads

Top