A Brief Novel By Peatri Dish

Peatri Dish

This is some of my experience with implementing Ray Peat concepts into my lifestyle. I first want to say that I no longer participate in the whole medical experiment so I have no lab information. I only have my physical symptoms and intuition.

I came to Ray Peat's work after a few years on and off low carb. I knew that low carb wasn't optimum for me right from the start but it did offer a way to keep my weight down a little. It has always skyrocketed if I did not keep an eye on it. This started in my twenties after I began having children.
I was craving sweet potatoes on low carb and could not get them out of my mind. It was last October. After I succumbed, I knew I needed a new way. When I read Peat, I at first thought: "this guy is just trying to make money telling us what we want to hear," Then I realized he wasn't selling anything. So , I started eating sugar first and foremost - I missed it! Milk and OJ were next. I love both. I took me about three months to really get the hang of letting go of PUFA. Also, I was already using butter, coconut oil, and animal fats. I was digging the potatoes too.
By the new year I started protest e. I was amazed! That was the buy in for me. My skin was smoother and softer in just a few days. (Dr. Haushka can't kiss my butt at $100/oz!) I had more energy and I noticed I wasn't out of breath so much. I can remember laughing about how I would answer the phone and people would say "what are you doing?" I would reply "nothing"
"Why are you so out of breath." I got used to that question. I was in my twenties when I noticed that and it continued. I am very interested in spiritual paths and when they said focus on your breath I would hyperventilate. It took me forever to get into the practice of meditation because of this. I thought I was afraid of the present moment. I was just sick.
The second cycle of progest e I was taking care of an older lady overnight. She got up at three in the morning,agitated and confused. I hopped out of bed and went quickly to her side. I began to feel spacey and dizzy. This was not unfamiliar to me. When I hit 40 I started having fainting spells. First, when I gave blood, another when I was at work and stressed out. Probably 5 or 6 total faints in an eight year period. I knew I was going down... A few minutes later this 92 yr old woman was standing over me asking if I was OK. I was supposed to be looking after her! I always hit something on the way down too. So, another black eye! Part of me thought it might be the progest e and I think getting up so quickly and my body still adjusting. Plus I know progest e seemed to affect my breathing...but I stuck with it.
I started thyroid. Cynomel and a short experiment with cynoplus but I felt dizzy and backed off. I still take the cynomel and have noticed amazing things! Frequent headaches have ceased. I always thought it was too much coffee or that maybe I was dehydrated -ha! My eyebrows began to return. My hair, which was very thick had started falling out in earnest about 10 years before, had stopped shedding. I had been dying it because it was gray. I was so sure I was going bald that in desperation I shaved it down to a brush cut so I could go back to gray. I thought it was the poisonous dye. It was my thyroid. I used to find 20 hairs on the pillow every morning. If I ran my fingers through it 10 hairs would come out. It has not returned to its previous thickness. But that's not all bad. I used to be unable to find a ponytail holder that could contain it all. They would always snap. After reading Ray Peat, I fully expect it to return. I have started taking biotin to help it along I will keep you posted.
I thought I was hypoglycemic. I used to crash and feel cranky and shaky and need something to eat quick. If I ate something with a lot of sugar I would go into a stupor afterwards. It was ridiculous. Now it's smooth sailing. Even coffee which would sometimes give me the jitters is fine with a little sugar, coconut oil and gelatin - perfect.
My energy has returned. I used to lie on the couch after I loaded the dishwasher -pathetic! I was ashamed of how "lazy" I was. It was really the best I could do.
My dry skin became manageable in the winter and was not dry at all in summer.
I haven't had a dizzy spell in months! I may never faint again!
I had a bump in the road with progest e. I started bleeding in the middle of my cycle and thought I had messed with my hormones. I went off it for a month and all the old symptoms returned. I'm making sure I keep that stuff in stock! I've noticed too that my breast seem to be a bit fuller on progest e. A little Perkier.
Over the summer I started diamox- well aceta Diazol from Mexico. This is after studying a bit more and recognizing that my edema is very persistent. I was amazed by that stuff! My breathing had somehow changed. My cheeks had a youthful bloom! I started peeing my brains out! I knew my hyperventilation issue was long standing and severe. I started at a weight of 174 lbs. I am only 5'4". Every Night I lost a pound or two but I was waking up to pee in the night. I ran out of aceta Diazol because the Mexican post was very slow. But I had taken it for about a month and was down to 162. By the time I got more my weight had crept back up to 166. I've noticed my meditation is so much better on this stuff. I just settle right in. I did notice that my breathing increases on the progest e. Maybe this, combined with rising quickly was what happened during my faint in February. There is still an intuition that adjusting to progest e had a part in that.
OK so the carbonic anhydrase inhibitor was doing what it was supposed to do but my weight was stubbornly hovering just below 160 and I thought "OK this is good old fashion fat."
So I listened to the KMUD interview on weigh loss over and over. I was frustrated because In the interview they talk about metabolism and calories and Dr. peat is talking about how much you pee and how much you evaporate. Sarah is basically saying some people just need to stick with a quart of OJ and a quart of skim milk. I know this is not the answer for me. I think it doesn't matter what that number of calories you can burn is in my case.
Not really. I can lose weight eating French fries and gain it on OJ. I started thinking more and more about PBOY. He talks quite a bit about too much fluid in the cells. So if I'm waterlogged after years of hyperventilating maybe it's not so much about calories. I say this in the context of having removed starches completely and all fat except coconut oil in my coffee - three teaspoons a day. Basically just drinking OJ and skim milk. Minimum one quart OJ, one quart milk, a litle bit of Fage 0% yogurt, grass fed beef or shrimp or oysters, An egg and some liver once a week. I'm boiling this stuff to avoid fat keeping at around 4 ounces and I'm not budging.
So I reduce the fluids. One quart of OJ and one Quart of skim milk and one cup of coffee become a maximum. I start talking a caffeine pill in place of two of my coffees. Sure enough! Weight starts dropping. Maybe 1/4 lb a day or so. I think the aceta Diazol is starting to take up the excess in my cells because I'm not overwhelming my body with fluids. Peat talks about hypothyroid people not clearing fluids. He encourages increasing salt. In my case the difference was slight with more salt. I continue using salt because I know many slight differences add up to well.
I also started paying more attention to the information Haidut has been bringing to the forum about some of the B vitamins. I have been using niacinamide, pregnanalone Vitamin E and aspirin but I'm feeling a bit like a drugstore with all the thyroid the diamox and progest e and now caffeine and I know Dr. peat really encourages the use of food for this stuff. But, well I'm trying to keep the food thing in check. So I added a b complex and pregnanalone and started taking that along with caffeine and extra vitamin E and 325mg of aspirin a few times a day. I've been doing this for a little over a week and I'm down five lbs. yesterday was my birthday -49. My girlfriend made me a flourless chocolate torte topped with whipped heavy cream and coffee ice cream. I still lost weight yesterday!
I've got about 25 lbs to go so...ah, who cares I'm not in a hurry! At least it doesn't feel hopeless anymore. I've also seen some people say that diamox stops working after a while. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Next stop....I'm thinking about trying the cynoplus again. I think my energy could be a little better. Maybe this will improve after getting rid of more of this fluid!
Here's to Ray Peat! Forty nine and feeling better than I have in years! Looking forward to 50!

OP
P

Peatri Dish

Here's a couple of updates:
I started 1/8 cynoplus today at noon. I have been taking just T3 - 50 mcgs. I break the cynomel into about 10-12 pcs. So 1/8 of cynoplus is only 15 mcgs of T4 and under 4 of T3. So I just yanked a tiny nugget of the cynomel to keep the T3 even. I looked at my log from last April when I tried cynoplus before. I was doing about 1/4 for a week when I started getting agitation and pulse up over 100. It was a bit much. So I'm starting slower. Just going to try 1/8 for a couple of weeks or more. See what I notice. I think my blood sugar is much more stable now. I was still under eating a bit back in April and also didn't understand about combining protein and sugar, etc.
Also, started biotin 500 mg daily about a week ago. holy moly! Serious nail strengthener! Nothing noticible in the hair department yet.

Peatri Dish said:
Here's a couple of updates:
I started 1/8 cynoplus today at noon. I have been taking just T3 - 50 mcgs. I break the cynomel into about 10-12 pcs. So 1/8 of cynoplus is only 15 mcgs of T4 and under 4 of T3. So I just yanked a tiny nugget of the cynomel to keep the T3 even. I looked at my log from last April when I tried cynoplus before. I was doing about 1/4 for a week when I started getting agitation and pulse up over 100. It was a bit much. So I'm starting slower. Just going to try 1/8 for a couple of weeks or more. See what I notice. I think my blood sugar is much more stable now. I was still under eating a bit back in April and also didn't understand about combining protein and sugar, etc.
Also, started biotin 500 mg daily about a week ago. holy moly! Serious nail strengthener! Nothing noticible in the hair department yet.

I could only ever find biotin in 5000mg or 7500mg, it is crazy. I noticed benefits as well, but anything over half a tablet would make me very tired, like too much niacinamide.

OP
P

Peatri Dish

Such_Saturation:
Oops! I guess that is 5000 on the biotin bottle.
I have been feeling pretty relaxed. Perhaps I'll take that at night with my niacinamide.
Heh heh heh

Peatri Dish said:
Such_Saturation:
Oops! I guess that is 5000 on the biotin bottle.
I have been feeling pretty relaxed. Perhaps I'll take that at night with my niacinamide.
Heh heh heh

It is a very tired feeling, like it stopped fat burning or something.

OP
P

Peatri Dish

Here's another update on cynoplus: I'm not noticing a thing!
I'm still hanging in there with 1/8. It's been two weeks. I take 50mcg of cynomel, so maybe that's enough. I wanted to see if a little t4 would add a little energy. I have a friend who is doing the medical thing and she felt a boost from levothyroxine, so I thought maybe this would add a little energy.
I'm going to hang in for a couple weeks then maybe increase it. Problem is when you're not feeling a thing from it it's hard to remember to take it!
On the weight/fluid management front: I was viciously attacked by the starch monster during thanksgiving so that confounded things. But I think I still am too high on fluids. I was schlepping around a nearby city earlier this week and it took a long time to get over swelling in ankles. I had indents on my legs from the socks nine hours later after having slept overnight after walking. I'm not sure how to proceed. I will probably post in ask for help.

Peat's_Girl

Peatri Dish said:
When I read Peat, I at first thought: "this guy is just trying to make money telling us what we want to hear," Then I realized he wasn't selling anything. So , I started eating sugar

Most epic quote ever ;D

This is how it was for me... I spent like hours debating Peat "freaks" on Paleo forums but then I realised I hated Pharma for something Primal/ Paleo gurus are infamous for: trying to sell you ***t you can't afford. The best I could come up with was "He's selling that progest-E thing!" but it's like 12$ and he doesn't get money from it directly (I don't think). Paleo supplements are like 80$-500$ if you wanna be "optimal" (selling you the dream of perfection), and if I got that I would not be able to eat for that month :)

Actually it's only when I became utterly broke that I began resenting their elitist way of life...
We don't live in Malibu and run barefoot on a golden beach as our daily exercise, chasing down a grass-fed steak with an expensive wine... But we too want to be healthy, or at the very least feel like we're not falling apart and functional.

artlange

I could only ever find biotin in 5000mg or 7500mg, it is crazy. I noticed benefits as well, but anything over half a tablet would make me very tired, like too much niacinamide.
now days the FDA will allow only 10mg biotin. A pharma with a patent treating something with large doses of biotin got the FDA to limit OTC doses so they could sell their large doses for a much better markup.. Now if you want high dose biotin over 10mg, you need to go to bulk supplements to get a powder. Costco is selling biotin in 10000mcg tabs which is equal to 10mg. Are you sure you had 5000mg and not 5000mcg? there is a big difference.

now days the FDA will allow only 10mg biotin. A pharma with a patent treating something with large doses of biotin got the FDA to limit OTC doses so they could sell their large doses for a much better markup.. Now if you want high dose biotin over 10mg, you need to go to bulk supplements to get a powder. Costco is selling biotin in 10000mcg tabs which is equal to 10mg. Are you sure you had 5000mg and not 5000mcg? there is a big difference.
Yes it was mcg not mg!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals