High mycotoxin levels present in corn, even masa harina

freal

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Mycotoxins are toxins produced by mold and are extremely toxic, more so than pesticides. Levels of 1500 ppb or 1,5ppm were found in dog food and was responsible for dog poisoning in a very short time.

Its not just corn, all grains are infested with mold and mycotoxins but in most grain we only eat the inner endsperm and not the outer layer of bran which has the most mold and mycotoxins. Corn is the most notorious and is infested especially with the most toxic mycotoxin-aflatoxins

The traditional proces of nixtamalization does reduce mycotoxins substantially , like 90%-94%, but the modern commercial process is somehow shortened, the corn is not soaked for a longer period and the process is done quickly.

Some analysis of american tortillas I could found show high infestation:
http://www.skinandallergynews.com/filea ... 4_main.pdf

The question about the safety of eating any corn or masa harina remains, I wonder how many liver cirrhosis are not diagnosed properly but are due to mycotoxins??If anybody can find any studies or analysis on mycotoxin levels in commercial corn products I would really be interested.
 

messtafarian

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
814
I did a quick search on this and didnt find anything. The problem with something like this is that people who do this kind of testing are part of the Big Food congloms and they'll be keeping that info to themselves, thanks.

Best you can probably do is make your own masa harina. I've been working with coconut flour a little bit -- I think homemade masa might be my next stop.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
I also found these, analysis of Serbian supermarket cereals and British supermarket maize products

http://www.doiserbia.nb.rs/img/doi/0352 ... 17079M.pdf

http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10 ... 946100.pdf


The mycotoxins in the tortillas were fumonisins which are acceptable up to 2ppm and all are safe.Everything is OK in UK and Serbian. Its seem that corn is safe, the only thing that suprised me whas that buckwheat is also high in mycotoxin vomitoxin(DON), but its like 2ppm which is under the limit of 5ppm.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Hmm. Funny thing,coconut is also extremely infested with mold, half of Srilankan coconut oil from dried copra has aflatoxins levels between 50-250 ppb. The legal limit in US corn is 20ppb.

http://dl.nsf.ac.lk/bitstream/1/6094/1/ ... _2_225.pdf

Well, its seem that there is no perfect food, there is always some kind of poison in it.
This could explain why some people experience problems with coconut oil. Well I wont be looking itno this topic anymore.
 

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,770
Location
UK
freal said:
Hmm. Funny thing,coconut is also extremely infested with mold, half of Srilankan coconut oil from dried copra has aflatoxins levels between 50-250 ppb. The legal limit in US corn is 20ppb.

http://dl.nsf.ac.lk/bitstream/1/6094/1/ ... _2_225.pdf

Well, its seem that there is no perfect food, there is always some kind of poison in it.
This could explain why some people experience problems with coconut oil. Well I wont be looking itno this topic anymore.

Interesting but that's 1983, would need to see if practices have changed since then.
 

Intention

New Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
4
I like masa harina, what a shame.
I've found some list of mycotoxins in the food, milk and dairy and sugar( cane and sugar beets ) is also on the list.

http://www.fehd.gov.hk/english/safefood ... ins/3.html

"One food that is not mentioned on the list is coconut oil. I want to point out that, while coconut oil is an incredible food in terms of nutrition and taste, many coconut oils contain mycotoxins.

This is because they are commonly made with copras, or dried coconuts, which are often contaminated with mycotoxins. So in order to fully enjoy the benefits of this coconut oil, you will want to be sure that you find a company that uses only fresh coconuts to make their oil, like the virgin coconut oil on this site. With that, here's the top-10 list of mycotoxic foods that you will want to avoid"

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/ar ... oods32.php

I would add that berries also.
 

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,770
Location
UK
I have never read anything from RP about those toxins in either coffee or coconut oil. Since RP is usually meticulous about supplements, I assumed this mean that it wasn't a concern. It's like the pesticides on coffee if its not organic, he mentioned it shouldn't matter as the roasting process destroys those chemicals. I hope the mycotoxin concern is not founded, but otherwise good luck trying to find out whether the brand you're using has a reasonable amount or not.
 

Intention

New Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
4
jyb,

Do you think that Ray Peat knows everything?He didn't make study about mycotoxin.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
59
jaa said:
I'm gonna just stop eating everything :D
 

Intention

New Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
4
Heh. Not funny really, because maybe this mycotoxins can cause problem for people who are more sensitive.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Well I dont know, I started this topic to somehow just tell you that this even exist, because I did not know it even exists before that.

If you ask me now I dont think that mycotoxins are the biggest problem in corn and other grains, but dessicetant herbicides, mostly glyphosate, EU allows 1ppm in corn, 10ppm in wheat and 20ppm in sunflowers. Ppm is mg/kg and thats huge. Donmt forget that most GMO are actually genetically modified to be glyphosate tolerant.
 

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,770
Location
UK
RP from private email:

Since animal studies show good health effects of both of them [coconut oil and coffee], and bad effects of other foods such as peanuts, wheat, and corn, the contamination is probably low. Hexane extraction seems to eliminate it, and it apparently declines in stored oil with time.

I think the oils marketed as more pure avoid hexane. If so, then its a bit like for orange juice and a few other things, the pricier products are not necessarily better.
 

BaconBits

Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2013
Messages
131
jyb said:
RP from private email:

Since animal studies show good health effects of both of them [coconut oil and coffee], and bad effects of other foods such as peanuts, wheat, and corn, the contamination is probably low. Hexane extraction seems to eliminate it, and it apparently declines in stored oil with time.

I think the oils marketed as more pure avoid hexane. If so, then its a bit like for orange juice and a few other things, the pricier products are not necessarily better.

But there is also a different kind of "refined" coconut oil, like a second press from the leftover coconut meat from virgin oil centrifuging or light pressing that was then steam deodorized. But there is little information on internet.

I could not get Tropical traditions to tell me how they make theirs expeller pressed coconut oil.
 

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,770
Location
UK
freal said:
Well I dont know, I started this topic to somehow just tell you that this even exist, because I did not know it even exists before that.

If you ask me now I dont think that mycotoxins are the biggest problem in corn and other grains, but dessicetant herbicides, mostly glyphosate, EU allows 1ppm in corn, 10ppm in wheat and 20ppm in sunflowers. Ppm is mg/kg and thats huge. Donmt forget that most GMO are actually genetically modified to be glyphosate tolerant.

Just a detail but want to clarify... you say that the herbicides are in ppm, while the mycotoxin are in ppb. But its not because they are in smaller concentration that they are less harmful.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
jyb said:
freal said:
Well I dont know, I started this topic to somehow just tell you that this even exist, because I did not know it even exists before that.

If you ask me now I dont think that mycotoxins are the biggest problem in corn and other grains, but dessicetant herbicides, mostly glyphosate, EU allows 1ppm in corn, 10ppm in wheat and 20ppm in sunflowers. Ppm is mg/kg and thats huge. Donmt forget that most GMO are actually genetically modified to be glyphosate tolerant.

Just a detail but want to clarify... you say that the herbicides are in ppm, while the mycotoxin are in ppb. But its not because they are in smaller concentration that they are less harmful.

Well mycotoxins and glyphosate are quite different. Its like comparing apples and oranges. Mycotoxins mostly only affect the digestive system and the liver. The only really toxic mycotoxins aflatoxin is regularly monitered, while the others like fumonisins are quite harmless. Some mycotoxins like DON are in toxic in ppm, some like aflatoxin are toxic in ppb. There are many mycotoxins.

While glyphosate is an endocrine disrupter, antibiotic at 0.1 ppm, mineral chelator, toxic to the digestive tract, carcinogenic. You just dont see this high levels of pesticides, only if the crop was dessicated or there is a GMO glyphosate tollerant variety. Dessication should be banned like in Switzerland and GMOs labeled. But not all crops are dessicated, 70% of sunflowers for example. Mostly legumes and things like barley. Wheat is still quite low.

If you go dose by dose aflatoxin is by far more toxic (but its not found because its quite controlled), glyphosate is not directly toxic to animals, since is a herbicide, which means a plant biocide.
 

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,770
Location
UK
freal said:
If you go dose by dose aflatoxin is by far more toxic (but its not found because its quite controlled), glyphosate is not directly toxic to animals, since is a herbicide, which means a plant biocide.

Note that the control isn't rigorous. The brand I use now for example has no check, even though the seller says its ok for both topical and oral consumption, because the product is entirely "natural": the EU controls, which would include a mycotxin check, don't apply to this coconut oil.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
jyb said:
freal said:
If you go dose by dose aflatoxin is by far more toxic (but its not found because its quite controlled), glyphosate is not directly toxic to animals, since is a herbicide, which means a plant biocide.

Note that the control isn't rigorous. The brand I use now for example has no check, even though the seller says its ok for both topical and oral consumption, because the product is entirely "natural": the EU controls, which would include a mycotxin check, don't apply to this coconut oil.

Well, you just cant be sure. Did you know that nobody,not even US government test if the food is in accordance to its legal limits. I was wondering if glyphosate remains in the refined soybean oil and even asked Dr. Don Huber since he was an expert in GMO, even he did not know the answer, nobody ever tested it. US EPA allows 40ppm in soybean oilseed products.

The manufacturer just says everything is in the legal limits and if not they ask the EPA to up the limits, like they did this june 2013, from 20ppm to 40 ppm in oilseeds.
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Advocate2021 High Cholesterol and High Thyroid on Bloodwork- Confused Blood Work, Labs 13
N Do you need extra calcium with high dose k2? K 2
N Extremely High Cortisol Ask For Help or Advice 3
youngsinatra High Dose Niacinamide Self-Experiment. Experiments 20
haidut Heart attack survivors have high stress (cortisol/adrenaline) hypersensitivity, low androgens Scientific Studies 2
M High testosterone low libido Diet 10
J Levo gives me high BP- is anyone using small doses of T3 with meals in lieu of levo? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
Hgreen56 Is this how high dopamine personality looks like? Health 3
J High Saturated Fat/Cholesterol Causes Clogged Pores/Sebaceous Filaments Skin 7
Lokzo Cyproheptadine Prevents High Altitude-Induced Testicular Disturbances Scientific Studies 0
Bogdar Low PTH, Low D, High Calcium - How Is It Possible? Blood Work, Labs 12
Starship Is It Possible To Keep Metabolism High And MTOR Low? Metabolism 2
DANIEL A High Serotonin Society | Morning Routines, Self-Improvement, Habit Tracking Miscellaneous 1
Mito Effect Of High-Dose Omega-3 On Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 0
U What's Worse High Fat No Starch Or Low Fat Higher Starch? Diet 12
2ManyHistamines After Years Of High Hemoglobin. Polycythemia Vera Diagnosis Blood Work, Labs 0
L High Volume Of Side Effects Expected With Cov-vax Miscellaneous Health Discussions 5
Hgreen56 Ray Peat (high Sugar) Diet Works Only Temporarily (?) Diet 0
forterpride Mothers PTH Level Is High Ask For Help or Advice 1
Hirri High Prolactin Question Thyroid and Hormones 6
H How To Lower High Prolactin? Blood Work, Labs 13
haidut Low, Not High, Metabolism Creates Oxidative Stress Scientific Studies 2
N Phosphatidylserine Gives Me Weird Feeling In My Kidney (High Cortisol) Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 1
S Hypoparathyroid And High Blood Calcium? Blood Work, Labs 4
johnwester130 Lamb Lungs Surprisingly High In Glycine Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 5
M Any Long Term High Sugar Consumers Here? Discussing Dietary Models 28
D High Pulse, Low Morning Temperature Ask For Help or Advice 33
Hgreen56 Are White Potatoes High In Oxalate? Diet 8
M HTMA Results Help (Toxic Ratios High) Labs 3
ursidae Environment For High Cortisol Individuals Ask For Help or Advice 3
J Starch And High "manic" Libido Male Issues 19
CHEESEHEAD69 Blood Work. High AST & ALT Levels? Liver Damage? Blood Work, Labs 15
Sscobalt High Carb Moderate Protein Low Fat? Diet 37
C The Doc Said I Have High Cholesterol Cholesterol 12
A High Dosage Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Hgreen56 Has Anyone Ever Actually Heard Dr Peat Recommend A High Carb Diet? Diet 64
Razvan High TSH High T3 High T4 What Is This? Thyroid and Hormones 1
A Some Dude Sounding High IQ Talking About Looksmaxxing On An Incel Forum Ask For Help or Advice 72
S Dr Paul Saladinos Blood Work (High T, Low TSH) Metabolism 10
Hans 5 Fundamentals To Have In Place For A High Libido Articles & Scientific Studies 17
D Is High Cortisol And Reverse T3 Making Me Hypothyroid? Blood Work, Labs 4
gately People Who've Lowered High Ferritin: What Benefits Did You Notice? Health 17
Hgreen56 Foods With High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) Contains More Kcal Than Mentioned On Label? Diet, Recipes 8
Porridge High TSH On T3 Monotherapy (WTF? ) Blood Work, Labs 21
U High Fat Quality Goat Milk Or Low Fat Store Milk? Diet 9
C High Fasted Morning Blood Sugar? Ask For Help or Advice 0
Kaktos Excessively High Iodine Levels. Help! Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 3
U Does Anybody Else Experience Significant Mood Changes On High (er) Fat Diet? Diet 27
haidut High-intelligence Not Unique To Humans, Is Due To Extended Childhood Scientific Studies 24
Orangeyouglad Why Would I Have Normal/High Blood Cortisol, But Low Saliva Cortisol? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 1

Similar threads

Top