If corn is not safe for pets, how can it be safe for humans?

BaconBits

I really dont know if corn is safe to eat or not, I am in doubt ever since hearing that pets keep dying from a mold toxin in it.
Ray Peat seems to like that mexican corn flour but I cannot eat something I am not one hundred percent sure of.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/200 ... c-dog-food
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... -corn.aspx
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10771943/ns/h ... vy2-oZBk0g

If this stuff is passing through their testing for pet foods, how can they be trusted for human food. I think that the standard for pet and human food for this aflatoxin is the same 20ppb??

Well masa harina would be nice, if it was safe of that stuff?

OP
B

BaconBits

Re: If corn is not safe for pets, how can it be safe for hum

I wrote an email to Bobs Red Mill about their masa harina and they said testing for aflatoxins is not part of any of their testing. They dont know what the values are. They said that FDA does testing for it and they were always OK, but they did not know how regularly, I think what they meant is that FDA takes samples from the supermarket and tests.

I am kind of suprised by this, I though there were laws in place that mandated testing of incoming shippments. I found out the elevators only have 1-2 minute to make a decision if they will accept a truck of corn load. They simply dont have time to do anything but look at the samples they took under UV light. If they wanted ELISA testing, that would take 7 minutes.
The UV light testing is failing miserably, as infected corn is reaching the pet food suppliers. Now the only question would be how strict is the FDA at sampling, I dont know if I wrote an email to the FDA if I would get any answer, maybe a bureucratic type.

But different species have different aflatoxins toxicity levels. 100-300ppb kills dog, but rats can take up to 2.5ppm. Maybe I should ask Ray Peat about this.

himsahimsa

This is the intended endpoint of "Starve the Beast". FDA has no money and is captured by guys who would, who do, feed poison to everybody (themselves included) for profit. No regulations, no inspectors, is exactly what Agribusiness wants. It's not even a matter of biased science, no one argues that aflatoxin is OK. The guys at the elevator are employees of the system that does not want inspection. Fewer employees is good for profits as an overhead consideration per se and fewer employees, even if they are personally dedicated good guys, can't keep up and so can't reject loads, and that is good for profits.

Stop complaining and do what your lords want, embrace your destiny. Renounce this blasphemy that you are person or citizen or human. Shut your mouth and open your mouth. You, Homo Consumens. Consume!

OP
B

BaconBits

himsahimsa said:
This is the intended endpoint of "Starve the Beast". FDA has no money and is captured by guys who would, who do, feed poison to everybody (themselves included) for profit. No regulations, no inspectors, is exactly what Agribusiness wants. It's not even a matter of biased science, no one argues that aflatoxin is OK. The guys at the elevator are employees of the system that does not want inspection. Fewer employees is good for profits as an overhead consideration per se and fewer employees, even if they are personally dedicated good guys, can't keep up and so can't reject loads, and that is good for profits.

Stop complaining and do what your lords want, embrace your destiny. Renounce this blasphemy that you are person or citizen or human. Shut your mouth and open your mouth. You, Homo Consumens. Consume!

Well Bobs Red Mill is not a like a corporate company focused on maximazing profits by any means. They even secured a non-gmo source of corn. They do all sorts of non basic quality testing, but it seems they just dont care about aflatoxins, which is the number one most carcinogenic substance in food discovered.

If you look at a map of liver cancer of United States, its the highest in the South, where climate favor mold growth on corn. I could not find any informatin about corn consumption by state and dont know what is that they eat exactly eat the southern states from California to Georgia so I dont know if this correlation is of any use. I could be that the love deep frying everything, but I just dont know.
http://www.checkbook.org/sitemap/health ... er_Map.gif

himsahimsa

I'm not knocking companies like Red Mill, there are a lot of the health-natural-back-to-the-earth type companies that do their best and have tried to provide us with healthy food for a long time now. They feel ethically bound. I make it a point to use their products for their sake and mine.

But the overwhelming mass of food stuff is not from Red Mill, or Hain or any of the other organic oriented farms. And the entire food supply is bereft inspection by squeezing the inspectors out of existence and that is done by attacking our own government as if it were some alien invader and trying to strangle it to death. And to make matters worse, of course, the controlling agencies have been largely captured by big industry.

I think our government is supposed to be the agent of the people, us, and we ought to think in ways and act in ways that make it actually be our agent. If we reject it and "starve" it, we just hand it over to the most powerful interests to use against us. As in promoting seed oils as healthy, for instance. That's what they want and that's why they are promoting propaganda that images our own government as our enemy. It is the only potential impediment left preventing them from completing the transformation of us, the people, into a feed lot, a factory farm, a dairy of humans, for them to rotate through their milking apparatus. It is the only coherent instrument we have to stop them.

(Consider the Newspeak that has us labeled as "Consumers" and how pervasive it is. I don't think of myself that way. I am at least a citizen. But training us, relentlessly, to think of ourselves as "Consumers", there is utility in that.)

The problem with aflatoxin is that it is endemic and it is expensive to prevent and to exclude once it has colonized a batch and worse when it has been mixed through many batches. It requires almost perfect, and immediate dryness to prevent its growth or the use of really bad chemicals or various other industrially anti-profitable, impractical strategies. So the most sane strategy for major producers is to keep inspectors from making a fuss. Thus as above. The good guys are just caught up in the non-storm.

So I have wandered from the thread, but aflatoxin does not occur in a vacuum. (Pun, sorry)

"Sodium chloride has a marked influence on loss of aflatoxins in artificially contaminated unshelled peanuts following cooking in water in a pressure cooker for 0.5 h; loss in concentration was 80% to 100% with 5% sodium chloride, but only 35% without the salt [22]."
[https://books.google.it/books?id=FBDzbLAUYMcC&pg=PA426&dq=Sodium+chloride+has+a+marked+influence+on+loss+of+aflatoxins+in+artificially+contaminated+unshelled+peanuts+following+cooking+in+water+in+a+pr&hl=it&sa=X&ei=s6CiVKPaGYPOyQOM9YCgDA&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Sodium%20chloride%20has%20a%20marked%20influence%20on%20loss%20of%20aflatoxins%20in%20artificially%20contaminated%20unshelled%20peanuts%20following%20cooking%20in%20water%20in%20a%20pr&f=false]

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals