Masa Harina Hot Cereal Or Drink(atole)

Fetch

Hi just thought I would post a few recipes I have been using over the last year and a half eating a peatish diet. These recipes aren't "perfect" but I have found them pretty useful and I think they are pretty good as far as peat, ease of preparation, availability of ingredients, and pretty tasty.

Atole masa herina hot cereal or hot beverage

I had only had Atole in the form of a hot beverage from taco trucks and mexican restaurants they seem to vary a bit in sweetness and spices and the addition of chocolate. These recipes are pretty easy to come by if your interested and are kinda like a hearty version of hot chocolate. The recipe I am posting is for a thicker hot cereal version. I usually have it with coffee and some fresh fruit for a weekend breakfast when I have a little more time to cook. Anyway it's a pretty basic hot cereal recipe but the concept of a masa harina porridge was new to me so maybe it will be to you also.

Ingredients:

1 cup Masa harina
4 cups milk
pinch of salt
dash of vanilla

optional: ceylon cinnamon, coco powder, sugar, anis, egg

First I take the masa and "roast" it a little in a dry pot over high heat to give it a little extra flavor. Then pour the "roasted" masa into a bowl and fill the pot with your milk. Next whisk in the roasted masa (if you just add the milk or don't whisk it well you will get lumps with dry masa on the inside) bring it to a boil and turn it down to medium low or medium. It will seem really thin at this point but will thicken up nice. Just stir occasionally till it's as thick as you would like. I add the optional ingredients near the end to not cook out flavor. Only exceptions are sugar or coco which can be added with the masa and I just add to taste if using. If adding an egg I whip it separately and add in at the end.

Toppings I like on this are chopped up dark or milk chocolate, honey, sugar, a pat of butter, ceylon cinnamon, and some cold milk

mod:
The only modification I have made to the recipe is adding a scope of Naked Casein for extra calcium and protein. The cereal is naturaly slightly grainy or chalky and the protein powder doesn't effect flavor or texture at all. In reality I am not sure you need more protein with this meal you are getting basically 2 cups of milk plus any protein in the masa and maybe an egg.

Anyway hope this is new to someone enjoy.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm definitely trying this soon. It sounds wonderful.

Vita3

I eat/drink atole these days in the morning, when cold outside, I do not add milk, I cook it in the water.You can modified as much as you like.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've added this to the menu periodically @Fetch and it's pretty good. It's quite tasty with cocoa powder and honey or sugar. Thanks for the idea.

johnwester130

In a pan add the following

300 ml of milk

some cocoa
some coffee

little ginger
little cinnamon
little maca powder

sugar
masa harina

coconut oil

boil it