Bioenergetic Fried Chicken?

tankasnowgod

Hey All,

A little while ago, I got a bit hungry for fried chicken. Obviously, most of the fried chicken that you can get isn't so compatible with Peat's ideas, due to it being fried in high PUFA oils, and covered in wheat flour (likely fortified with iron).

However, I found it doesn't take that much tweaking to make it much better for our standards. For ease, I simply did Chicken Fingers. I loosely followed this Youtube video-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDgLY_ttvCI

First, and most obvious, the oil. I had some tallow I rendered from extra beef fat, so I used that. However, Hydrogenated Coconut Oil should work great, too (I use that for frying, and it's fantastic). When it's time to get rid of the tallow, I might switch it up to HCO. (It's already running low, and I've added extra Stearic Acid and HCO to mix in the most recent use).

Next up, the breading. Wanting to get away from flour, I got some Maseca Masa Harina Flour. I basically just use an equivalent amount of Maseca Flour when the recipe calls for normal flour.

As far as the Marinade, I use an egg, regular milk instead of buttermilk, coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, Ketchup made with real sugar. I skip most of the other spices (including salt) and add about a half tsp of Larry's seasoning salt (which doesn't look to bad from an ingredients perspective), and half tsp of pepper. I'm not as concerned with spices as Peat is, but feel free to skip anything.

When seasoning the flour, I also skip the salt, using Larry's instead.

Last note, I buy frozen chicken. I let it defrost in the fridge overnight, and use salt like a "dry brine" the next day. About two hours before cooking, I've been adding water and a teaspoon of sugar. This is the reason I've been skipping the salt in the seasoning, I did it once that way with the "dry brine," and the final product was too salty.

I took a little trial and error for temperature, but the oil heats up to the right temp on my stovetop at dot just above "med" on the burner, and the chicken fries really well at that temp. This might be like a "6" out of 10 setting on another stove. So, medium/high heat. Your stovetop may be different.

The final verdict it that its AWESOME. The Masa Harina might be even better and tastier than flour, it sure fries up nice, real crispy. I read at least one review online that uses masa harina for frying because they prefer the taste. With the brining, the chicken is still really juicy after frying, and I get a hint of sweetness from the sugar.

Old Irenaeus

This sounds amazing. I must try it. Does one need a thermometer to get the oil temperature right?

Nfinkelstein

Thanks for this recipe it sounds excellent. I like your beef tallow / HCO idea too. Would you also consider using pork lard from outdoor raised pigs? (Something I have more or less on hand).

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Would you also consider using pork lard from outdoor raised pigs? (Something I have more or less on hand).
Sure, if you know they were fed a relatively low PUFA diet. I think Lard usually fries pretty well, especially if it's more saturated.

Sheik

I made fried chicken in coconut oil with masa before. It was delicious and made me feel crappy afterward. I think the masa doesn't agree with me.

RealNeat

I thought I remembered Ray saying soy sauce wasn't a big problem as many of the unfavorable things are removed in it's processing/ production. Coconut aminos just doesn't cut it for when soy sauce is needed imo, but it also tastes good.

I ate some higher end restaurant PUFA fried chicken the other day because I was really craving it and didn't really care because I never do it and it was seriously terrible, the idea of it was better than the thing itself. Low quality ingredients produce low quality taste.

Im sure this tastes better, I'm going to try it.

chicken itself is loaded with pufa, very hard to find low-pufa chicken. maybe duck is more saturated? better flavor too.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

chicken itself is loaded with pufa, very hard to find low-pufa chicken. maybe duck is more saturated? better flavor too.

Not exactly. Chickens do tend to have higher PUFA content because they are generally fed a higher PUFA diet, but if you get chicken breast, this is less of a concern, as it is so low fat. There is about a gram of fat per 20g of protein, roughly 4 oz of chicken breast, and even if a third of that is PUFA, it's only 0.3 grams in that serving. If frying it in HCO, well over 95% of the total fat in the final product will be Saturated, with maybe 1-2% PUFA.

Feel free to do duck if you can. I don't see it where I usually shop.

Dr. B

LMAO, no fried chicken is ever going to be "bioenergetic" tbh
why, is it because of the chicken itself

Hey All,

A little while ago, I got a bit hungry for fried chicken. Obviously, most of the fried chicken that you can get isn't so compatible with Peat's ideas, due to it being fried in high PUFA oils, and covered in wheat flour (likely fortified with iron).

However, I found it doesn't take that much tweaking to make it much better for our standards. For ease, I simply did Chicken Fingers. I loosely followed this Youtube video-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDgLY_ttvCI

First, and most obvious, the oil. I had some tallow I rendered from extra beef fat, so I used that. However, Hydrogenated Coconut Oil should work great, too (I use that for frying, and it's fantastic). When it's time to get rid of the tallow, I might switch it up to HCO. (It's already running low, and I've added extra Stearic Acid and HCO to mix in the most recent use).

Next up, the breading. Wanting to get away from flour, I got some Maseca Masa Harina Flour. I basically just use an equivalent amount of Maseca Flour when the recipe calls for normal flour.

As far as the Marinade, I use an egg, regular milk instead of buttermilk, coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, Ketchup made with real sugar. I skip most of the other spices (including salt) and add about a half tsp of Larry's seasoning salt (which doesn't look to bad from an ingredients perspective), and half tsp of pepper. I'm not as concerned with spices as Peat is, but feel free to skip anything.

When seasoning the flour, I also skip the salt, using Larry's instead.

Last note, I buy frozen chicken. I let it defrost in the fridge overnight, and use salt like a "dry brine" the next day. About two hours before cooking, I've been adding water and a teaspoon of sugar. This is the reason I've been skipping the salt in the seasoning, I did it once that way with the "dry brine," and the final product was too salty.

I took a little trial and error for temperature, but the oil heats up to the right temp on my stovetop at dot just above "med" on the burner, and the chicken fries really well at that temp. This might be like a "6" out of 10 setting on another stove. So, medium/high heat. Your stovetop may be different.

The final verdict it that its AWESOME. The Masa Harina might be even better and tastier than flour, it sure fries up nice, real crispy. I read at least one review online that uses masa harina for frying because they prefer the taste. With the brining, the chicken is still really juicy after frying, and I get a hint of sweetness from the sugar.

good stuff, what did Peat say about spices, avoid all spices?

Overton

I've had success with skinless chicken breast pieces for minimal pufa, potato starch coating (japanese Karrage style), and ghee for frying. Add a melted butter & hot sauce blend for buffalo style. Key is to marinate pre-starch and let it sit after dredging to really have the coat set before frying.

Digested and felt pretty good. Tasted delicious. Don't think it was enough starch to cause problems. Only thing is you may want to have some gelatin/collagen and dairy alongside to balance the tryptophan & phosphorous.

boris

why, is it because of the chicken itself

Mainly because of the PUFAs. In the past chickens were fed arsenic to make them fatter and kill parasites. This was outlawed in the 90s in Germany and it was practiced until 2013 in the USA, so it's safe in that regard depending where you live (some countries still do it I suppose) [I looked it up again, some sources say it's still allowed in the US to poison chickens with arsenic]. Low fat chicken breast is ok, but it's high tryptophan.

If you raise your own chickens and give them your food scraps and don't feed them bad grains, they would be a really good meat source with low PUFAs. So "no fried chicken will ever be bioenergetic" ....I wouldn't say that ;)

Last edited:

Dr. B

Mainly because of the PUFAs. In the past chickens were fed arsenic to make them fatter and kill parasites. This was outlawed in the 90s in Germany and it was practiced until 2013 in the USA, so it's safe in that regard depending where you live (some countries still do it I suppose) [I looked it up again, some sources say it's still allowed in the US to poison chickens with arsenic]. Low fat chicken breast is ok, but it's high tryptophan.

If you raise your own chickens and give them your food scraps and don't feed them bad grains, they would be a really good meat source with low PUFAs. So "no fried chicken will ever be bioenergetic" ....I wouldn't say that ;)
what did Peat say on spices?
can you feed them butter and milk
some websites mention milk fed pork

boris

what did Peat say on spices?
can you feed them butter and milk
some websites mention milk fed pork
Yes, milk is very good for them. There is some famous farmer in France who feeds his chickens goatsmilk and sells their eggs for about 4€ a piece to high end restaurants because they are so tasty. He says the goatsmilk protein makes the eggs special, which is wrong I‘d say. Cowsmilk would be equally good, not just for the protein, but for the saturated fat and vitamins and minerals and carbs too.

Dr. B

It's an italian guy actually, not french: "Paolo Parisi". Lots of articles about him when you google his name!
do you think duck eggs, and even duck fat and meat is superior to chicken?
theres some company that sells a few products like lamb tallow, lard, and also duck fat. the duck fat looks like a jar of egg yolks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals