Masa Harina, Tips, Ideas, Recipes

mayku-T-meelo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKwCv9PyPyc

Hey yall, does anyone prepare tortillas at home? Or something else from the masa? I've tried to make them a couple of times sticking to instructions in the video posted above and every time they turn out just a little bit diffrent, I still don't have it nailed down. They're tasty and generally good to eat, but unfortunately they dry out pretty quickly and don't seem as soft to begin with as the ones shown in the video.

While my best guess is that I don't have the right type of corn to prepare them (kernels on the corn that I can get in my area are just a bit smaller), I thought I'd ask if any members have experience with preparing masa and if so, I'd be happy to hear any secret tips, experience or other recipes that you guys might have.

Beastmode

I mix an egg, 1 cup of masa and 1 tbs of sugar with enough warm water to make a dough.

it makes a nice healthy version of pizza as you can add whatever you want on top.

Bake @ 450 for 15 min and it comes out nice.

I really enjoy pancakes. I would probably make some kind of pancake with it. I would also mix a little chilies and a little bit of cumin and coriander and cayenne and add it.

(edited to add that I don’t eat pancakes these days because I am kind of on lower starch and I find that they really cause me to gain fat.)

OP
mayku-T-meelo

mayku-T-meelo

I mix an egg, 1 cup of masa and 1 tbs of sugar with enough warm water to make a dough.

it makes a nice healthy version of pizza as you can add whatever you want on top.

That's so cool, I was already brainstorming on how to add toppings so it would moisten the dough a bit more.
I really enjoy pancakes. I would probably make some kind of pancake with it. I would also mix a little chilies and a little bit of cumin and coriander and cayenne and add it.

(edited to add that I don’t eat pancakes these days because I am kind of on lower starch and I find that they really cause me to gain fat.)
Thanks for the idea. I guess you just add the standard ingredients to make it more of a runny substance?

I practically don''t eat starch but on masa I don't feel bloated at all, I will try it out over a period of time. I think it definitely slows the transit time, I'll see about accumulating fat, most probably it slows the metabolism to a degree and it's maybe harder to digest.

That's so cool, I was already brainstorming on how to add toppings so it would moisten the dough a bit more.

Thanks for the idea. I guess you just add the standard ingredients to make it more of a runny substance?

I practically don''t eat starch but on masa I don't feel bloated at all, I will try it out over a period of time. I think it definitely slows the transit time, I'll see about accumulating fat, most probably it slows the metabolism to a degree and it's maybe harder to digest.

I would add water and eggs to make a batter, maybe some chilies, and the spices (that I toasted first) and salt...make them small so they don't fall apart, cook in coconut oil or butter in a very hot skillet.

OP
mayku-T-meelo

mayku-T-meelo

I would add water and eggs to make a batter, maybe some chilies, and the spices (that I toasted first) and salt...make them small so they don't fall apart, cook in coconut oil or butter in a very hot skillet.
Cool, I'll try adding some milk also, can't hurt.

Birdie

Somebody on the forum gave his recipe for masa cookies. I made them. Very good!

So I found it. It was @boris.
Masa harina
Sugar, butter
Milk, egg
Bake 170C-180C ~340F

Possibly add baking soda

Here's my interpretation with amounts:
1 cup butter room temp
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup room temp milk

I put chocolate chips on top.

I used to make masa flour tortillas and not use a recipe, but it was long ago.

Lollipop2

OMG... I made this masa harina cornbread today and it was yummy! Mostly masa Harina flour. I will post the recipe images. Adjustments I made:

*Used Einkorn All Purpose
*Used 5 tbs melted butter in recipe
*Used 2 tbsp unmelted to heavily grease my Le Crueset pie pan. Worked well - nice crust and nothing stuck to my ceramic pie pan.

52EBE672-771A-4101-BFFF-359E544C80F4.jpeg

46CAD593-EC4C-4334-91D9-D55073BB066D.jpeg

B8574A98-2FF0-493B-A385-D0539DACF40C.jpeg

Was yummmmy and moist - no need for extra butter or maple syrup.

@Rinse & rePeat

清貴杉山

hey

this sounds good as frick actually,i will try definetly

OMG... I made this masa harina cornbread today and it was yummy! Mostly masa Harina flour. I will post the recipe images. Adjustments I made:

*Used Einkorn All Purpose
*Used 5 tbs melted butter in recipe
*Used 2 tbsp unmelted to heavily grease my Le Crueset pie pan. Worked well - nice crust and nothing stuck to my ceramic pie pan.

View attachment 27551

View attachment 27552

View attachment 27553

Was yummmmy and moist - no need for extra butter or maple syrup.

@Rinse & rePeat

Your excitement makes me want to make some!

Here are some of the things I have made with masa.

Attachments

• 20210814_145551.jpg
    20210814_145551.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 85
  • 20201024_162552.jpg
    20201024_162552.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210108_131404.jpg
    20210108_131404.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210327_163525.jpg
    20210327_163525.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 85

Birdie

Oh, the fat gain... I'll keep what you say in mind because this slipped my mind.

I've been making a masa pancake for dinner. It's about 4 or 5 inches wide. On top, I use butter, maple syrup, a teaspoon of sour cream, some brown sugar, and add either applesauce (husband makes it) or canned peaches.

The only other starch I have is one "masa ball" with my stew for lunch. I make the masa balls and we keep them in the fridge.

I want to lose some fat though, so we'll see how it goes. I want to lose it slowly. Maybe 5 pounds total.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals