"Authentic" Mexican flan

Fetch

Hi just thought I would post a few recipes I have been using over the last year and a half eating a peatish diet. These recipes aren't "perfect" but I have found them pretty useful and I think they are pretty good as far as peat, ease of preparation, availability of ingredients, and pretty tasty.

Authentic Mexican flan

I have seen this called a "authentic" Mexican flan I can't say if this is authentic or not. I have never had a flan like this before but the internet says it is so whatever. This flan is a little on the grainy side if you are used to a typical custard flan. But I think it's not a bad trade off for the additional protein, and calcium while still having a pretty good flan flavor. I have messed with the recipe a little at times to add more protein or calcium and will mention that at the end of the recipe. I like this for either breakfast or dessert. I usually have it with coffee or milk and a little fresh fruit. I also like to dust it with a little ceylon cinnamon or coco powder. The recipe make around 9 servings for me and my wife and I am a big eater.

Basic recipe:

Ingredients

8 eggs
2 Lbs Queso fresco ( 2 Lbs is 32oz) just a basic "fresh cheese" as the name implies so farmers cheese will also work. I find the softer the better.
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4-1/2 cup sugar form caramel

Put the sugar with about 10 drops of water into a small pot on stove top on medium high , stirring constantly until almost coffee colored, taking care not to burn. Pour this caramel mixture into the bottom of your pan.

Note: every recipe I can find for carmel like this has you use a little water. I don't personally, as far as I can tell you just have to wait for the water to evaporate before the sugar will melt. So I just skip the water and it works out fine. :2cents

Next I blend the Queso fresco in a food processor. Break it up and blend it until it starts to stick together and role into one big ball( kinda like making pie dough in a food processor) this takes awhile so give it a minute or two.

Then combine the cheese,canned milks,vanilla, and eggs all in a mixer or you could mix by hand till well combined. Pour this over your now hardened caramel. Cover with foil and place pan or mold into a larger pan filled halfway with water( I use boiling water to speed up cooking time) and bake at 350-375 °F till a knife comes out clean from the center around 1 1/2 or 2 hours usually.

I just leave it in the pan and scoop it out. The caramel will the melted just pour a little on each serving.

Some mods:
I have experimented with adding a little extra calcium carbonate 1/4-1/2 tsp is pretty unnoticeable. I have also messed with adding a little extra protein and calcium by putting one scope of Naked Casien protein powder and I can't notice it at all.

Hope someone enjoys this!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals