Beef, Lamb or Goat fruit stew (tajine)

Fetch

Hi just thought I would post a few recipes I have been using over the last year and a half eating a peatish diet. These recipes aren't "perfect" but I have found them pretty useful and I think they are pretty good as far as peat, ease of preparation, availability of ingredients, and pretty tasty.

Tajine ( stew of lamb/beef and fruit)

This recipe is modified a little because most beef or lamb tajines seem to have almonds. If you don't mind leftovers (potential histamine) this is great for a few days in the refrigerator. I usually have it over long grain or basmati rice with a glass of milk. If I want a little extra fat that day I fluff the rice with butter if not I just leave it out. The recipe makes about 6 servings.

1 tbs of fat whatever you prefer olive oil, butter, tallow or refined coconut ( see bottom for low fat modification)
1.5 - 2 Lbs stew beef, lamb, goat or shanks (my fave) any roast (can be lean if staying low fat).
1 onion diced
garlic to taste I like 2-3 cloves minced
chicken broth I use around 3 cups a little more or less is fine
1-2 bay leaves
1-2 wide strips of lemon zest
parsley to taste. I usually take half a bunch and tie it up.
1-1.5 cups dried fruit apricots, prunes, figs chopped. I use all or just one depending on what I feel like of have available.
salt and white pepper to taste
Optional : Gelatine, ceylon cinnamon

Preheat 350 °F oven. Brown the meat remove from pot add onion and sauté till soft. Put the meat back in with the bay leaf and broth and bring to a boil. If you don't have homemade or high quality broth with adequate gelatin and/or aren't using a gelatinous cut add in some dried gelatin when broth is still cold. After it reaches a boil place a lid on the pot and place in the oven. Cook for about an hour remove from oven stir in fruit, parsley, garlic, and lemon zest and return to oven without a lid this time. Cook till meat is tender and liquid has reduced by about 50-75% original volume usually 1-2 hours. Remove from oven and remove parsley, lemon zest and bay leaves.

low fat/lazy/short on time modification

Just throw the meat, onion and broth in a pot bring to a boil and throw in the oven with a lid and follow the rest of the recipe. This is super easy when short on time if you still want to fat add butter to rice. If you want low fat not frying the meat and onions doesn't take much away from the flavor combined with a lean cut of meat and I think it's sufficiently low fat for most.

This is a pretty common and basic recipe but I hope maybe someone finds it useful.

tara

I've made lots of stews, but I haven't tried one with this much dried fruit - I'll be giving it a go - it looks tasty.

Lightbringer

Wow, I had no idea you could throw fruit in there :!: Just bought some beef stew meat so will try this out in a slow cooker. Are there other fruits other than the dry variety that would work ?

tara

I sometimes use apple juice instead of stock to stew in.
I've made mutton stews with fresh rhubarb in the past. Don't know what the pros and cons of rhubarb are, but the tartness seems to balance the meat.
Can't see why fresh stone or pip fruit wouldn't be good.

OP
F

Fetch

kasper I have never used fresh fruit but I bet it would work fine.

Tara I think it was narouz or haidut mentioning rhubarb in a positive light recently just can't remember where.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals