"Peaty" Fruits & Vegetables - Easy Step By Step Recipes (Photos)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
wow, i didnt know peat was against peels, Rinse heres a question i asked in another thread ,could you give me your take on this thanks...

For example you do 4 years strict peat to rid the body of pufa then decide to have a cheat meal once month ..would it build back up or will you have to do another 4 years to rid it, do you feel the side effects the same night? will there even be need for recovering...

He doesn't recommend the peels of fruit because that is where the toxic protection of the plant is. Orange peels are a different story. I don't know what he thinks about the peels of other citrus fruits, but the orange peels really are amazing.

I had been really strict about "Peating", for almost 4 years, until last year, when I was cooking foods for the family to keep them from missing going out during lockdown. I was making weekly sushi, pizzas, baked goods and such, intending just to taste things, but you know how that goes when it is really delicious. Times when I was strict, anxious to clear out my stored PUFA's and going to restaurants, I would slather on some vitamin E before going out and pop a baby aspirin after my meal. I would even bring to-go packs of refined coconut oil to drizzle over my meal to keep me from storing PUFA' from those restaurant meals.

As far as splurges go, if you take those "protective" measures, I mentioned above, and a splurge is very occasional your body will get to cleaning up the mess quickly, as long as you don't pile on more day after day. I think when you are younger applying Ray Peat's principles "generally" can thwart a lot of health problems, but when you get older I think it is time to make health more important than that moment of pleasure. It is much harder to undo things with age.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
FRESH ORANGE & MARMALADE JELLO

1. "Bloom' three tablespoons of gelatin in 2 cups of cold water, by sprinkling evenly over the water, in a wide mixing bowl.

2. Put 2 cups of water on the stove to bring to a boil. While the water is boiling juice the oranges, and strain out the pulp, to make 2 cups. Pour the two cups of boiling water over the gelatin water.

3. Stir in a half cup of sugar and a 10 oz jar of favorite orange marmalade and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

4. Add in the fresh orange juice and the juice of a fresh ripe tree lemon, like a Meyer's lemon or my pink lemonade lemon, about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the juice.

5. Leave the orange jello mixture inb he bowl, cover and refrigerate for two hours. When the jello starts to get thick, give it a stir to distribute the peel on the bottom throughout. Put the plastic back on the bowl or pour into a preferred dish and finish refrigerating for several more hours before serving.

This is such an easy way to get in those highly recommended, by Ray Peat, orange peels! I am not particularly a jello person, but I had this right after coffee this morning and look forward to eating some more today, if there is any left! I went to bed last night and there was a good dent in it this morning, and it is more than half gone now before noon today!

Attachments

• 20211121_111403.jpg
    20211121_111403.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211120_153424.jpg
    20211120_153424.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211120_153454.jpg
    20211120_153454.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211120_153518.jpg
    20211120_153518.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211121_112939.jpg
    20211121_112939.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211121_103333.jpg
    20211121_103333.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 17

Birdie

This Carrot Salad is delicious. I substituted lemon juice for the vinegar. :):

"Strip the bottom from an orange so it sits flat. With a sharp knife, shave off the peel and pith to expose the flesh. Holding the orange in your hand, cut out the individual segments, and put them in a large bowl. Once you have cut out all of the segments, squeeze the remaining juice from the membranes into the bowl. Repeat with the three remaining oranges.
Add the carrot and olives to the bowl, and toss. Drizzle with the oil and vinegar, and season with the salt and lots of black pepper. Toss, and chill until ready to serve."
(Doesn't need the black pepper imo.)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This Carrot Salad is delicious. I substituted lemon juice for the vinegar. :):

"Strip the bottom from an orange so it sits flat. With a sharp knife, shave off the peel and pith to expose the flesh. Holding the orange in your hand, cut out the individual segments, and put them in a large bowl. Once you have cut out all of the segments, squeeze the remaining juice from the membranes into the bowl. Repeat with the three remaining oranges.
Add the carrot and olives to the bowl, and toss. Drizzle with the oil and vinegar, and season with the salt and lots of black pepper. Toss, and chill until ready to serve."
(Doesn't need the black pepper imo.)

Thanks for adding to Our collection of Peaty recipes! It sounds delicious! I just got some oranges in this morning, if they are good and sweet I will give it a try!

bookshelf

CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP

STEPS:
1. Wash, slice and boil a box of mushrooms for 20 minutes drain and dump the water and set aside.

2. Chop the onions small and saute in 2 tablespoons of butter for 7 to 10 minutes on medium heat.

3. Add a splash of dry sherry, maybe a tablespoon, and cook off the alcohol for a minute.

4. Add in 2 cups of CHILLED gelatinous chicken broth, fresh or dried thyme or other dried herbs such as Summer Savory or Herbs de Provence, and turn off the heat so it doesn't get too hot for blending. My bone broth is so thick that this soup doesn't need a thickener. So if you are using the watery store bought kind you are gonna have to reduce the amount by of bone broth by about a half cup or thickenen it with a tablespoon or two of flour at the end of step #2.

5. Blend the broth and onion mixture till smooth and pour back into the pot and add the mushrooms.

6. Add in cream (or not). I freeze some of my cream in ice cube trays, and added probably 7 of them for this recipe.

7. Pulse with an immersion blender a bit to break up some of the mushrooms, or put a cup or so of the soup in a blender WHEN COOL, blend for a second, then pour back in the pot.

8. I save my, otherwise unusable, parmesan rinds and add them to soups like I did this one. Cook for 15 minutes more, turn off the heat and cover with a lid for about 20 or so minutes to let the rind give a little more. You can season it with regular salt or some truffle salt like I did!
I noticed that you dump the mushroom water? I have been saving mine and use it in recipes and even make beverages out of it (like coffee, tea, etc). I will say that I cook my mushrooms longer (either boil for 11/2-2 hours or pressure cook them for 1 hour). I'm careful to either strain or not use the liquid at the bottom that may have some debris (flecks of mushroom "crumbs" and possible other undesirables) but, by and large, I use the mushroom "tea". May I ask why you don't save it? I was under the impression from other things I'd read from RP that the water is ok and the mushrooms are ok, it's the steam that comes off of them that isn't. Please correct my understanding if I am wrong. Thank you!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I noticed that you dump the mushroom water? I have been saving mine and use it in recipes and even make beverages out of it (like coffee, tea, etc). I will say that I cook my mushrooms longer (either boil for 11/2-2 hours or pressure cook them for 1 hour). I'm careful to either strain or not use the liquid at the bottom that may have some debris (flecks of mushroom "crumbs" and possible other undesirables) but, by and large, I use the mushroom "tea". May I ask why you don't save it? I was under the impression from other things I'd read from RP that the water is ok and the mushrooms are ok, it's the steam that comes off of them that isn't. Please correct my understanding if I am wrong. Thank you!
I thought so too, thinking the toxins that are get boiled off evaporate out. I would get a bad stomach ache everytime I had the mushrooms with their water, and I never had stomach aches from mushrooms before. Now I do a shorter boil and dump the water and have no issue. Interestingly when I told my girlfriend that story, she told me that she had overcooked some mushrooms and they gave her a horrendous stomach ache, and she was afraid to ever eat them again. Since telling her my story she just does a quick cooking and is fine.

bookshelf

I thought so too, thinking the toxins that are get boiled off evaporate out. I would get a bad stomach ache everytime I had the mushrooms with their water, and I never had stomach aches from mushrooms before. Now I do a shorter boil and dump the water and have no issue. Interestingly when I told my girlfriend that story, she told me that she had overcooked some mushrooms and they gave her a horrendous stomach ache, and she was afraid to ever eat them again. Since telling her my story she just does a quick cooking and is fine.
Very interesting! We haven't had any adverse reactions but will certainly keep that in mind should we notice anything. We've been eating more mushrooms lately, I think by nature of it being winter and all of the dishes that they fit in. I also enjoy them (after prepping) sautéed with a side of eggs for breakfast. I feel as though the inclusion of them in our diet has bolstered our nutrition and not had any deleterious effects for the short term and hope nothing presents in the long-term.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Very interesting! We haven't had any adverse reactions but will certainly keep that in mind should we notice anything. We've been eating more mushrooms lately, I think by nature of it being winter and all of the dishes that they fit in. I also enjoy them (after prepping) sautéed with a side of eggs for breakfast. I feel as though the inclusion of them in our diet has bolstered our nutrition and not had any deleterious effects for the short term and hope nothing presents in the long-term.
I have always cooked with, and love mushrooms, and never had an issue, until I cooked them for a long time like RP suggested. It was never clear, by him, if the water was toxic, so with RPF members drinking it, I went with it. I enjoy them still, but I don't cook them for 45 to 2 hours anymore. I loved the taste of them, cooked so concentrated, much more than the milder 20 minute cook. Here is a pic from several years ago cooking them to a "truffle" statis. They bore no resemblance to a mushroom by the time I got done with them. Interestingly my son didn't get the bad stomach ache, but my husband did, but to a lesser degree than me, and his trouble went away within hours, mine felt bad for a day or two.

Attachments

• 20200511_203700.jpg
    20200511_203700.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 28

bookshelf

I have always cooked with, and love mushrooms, and never had an issue, until I cooked them for a long time like RP suggested. It was never clear, by him, if the water was toxic, so with RPF members drinking it, I went with it. I enjoy them still, but I don't cook them for 45 to 2 hours anymore. I loved the taste of them, cooked so concentrated, much more than the milder 20 minute cook. Here is a pic from several years ago cooking them to a "truffle" statis. They bore no resemblance to a mushroom by the time I got done with them. Interestingly my son didn't get the bad stomach ache, but my husband did, but to a lesser degree than me, and his trouble went away within hours, mine felt bad for a day or two.
That looks delicious!
The only thing I've noticed with consuming mushrooms and the "tea" w/r/t digestion is that it only helps the process but thankfully, nothing like what you had experienced. I do think they can help "unstick" stuff that's been holed up in the system and sometimes it is uncomfortable until it all makes its way out - kind of like a healing reaction. I do recall one time eating previously canned then grilled mushrooms out once a few years back and they had that effect on me but in that instance, I think it was a bit of food poisoning. So far, nothing that I've ever prepared myself.

I have noticed that there are RPF members who also drink the mushroom water citing RP himself or making other references to it being nutritious. There is also so much information out there (for what it's worth) that mushrooms and the "tea" is a powerhouse for health. I guess we'll all find out whether or not if that is a good idea eventually!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That looks delicious!
The only thing I've noticed with consuming mushrooms and the "tea" w/r/t digestion is that it only helps the process but thankfully, nothing like what you had experienced. I do think they can help "unstick" stuff that's been holed up in the system and sometimes it is uncomfortable until it all makes its way out - kind of like a healing reaction. I do recall one time eating previously canned then grilled mushrooms out once a few years back and they had that effect on me but in that instance, I think it was a bit of food poisoning. So far, nothing that I've ever prepared myself.

I have noticed that there are RPF members who also drink the mushroom water citing RP himself or making other references to it being nutritious. There is also so much information out there (for what it's worth) that mushrooms and the "tea" is a powerhouse for health. I guess we'll all find out whether or not if that is a good idea eventually!
Thanks bookshelf! It was delicious! I believe mushrooms are everything Ray Peat says they are, I just don't know why that longer cooking time causes people, like my girlfriend and I, such stomach pain.

accelerator

Cheddar & Homemade Salsa Tostado

1. Gather ingredients.

2 Chop tomatoes, sweet onion and jalapenos (seeded).

3. Add chopped fresh cilantro, dried cumin (to taste) and salt.

4. Grate cheddar and heat refined coconut oil in a pan.

5. Fry masa tortilla on one side till almost crisp. Turn over, season with salt and top with cheddar.

6. Turn off heat and cover with a lid to melt the cheese. Blot the cheese with a napkin to remove excess oil. Top with salsa and a little avocado, if desired.

I like having salsa this way because it is way too easy to eat a whole bowl of chips with good salsa. I like to use the leftover salsa to make Mexican shrimp cocktail the next day. It also can be thrown into a Mexican tortilla soup.

"Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce physiological effects in susceptible people." -Ray Peat

Where do you get those tortillas? It's hard to find any without gums

Lizb

Cool! That looks great.
I wonder if I would have to modify this preparation in Florida.
I feel like 'room temperature" and humidity levels would influence outcome.
I picture fruit flies and perhaps bacterial growth in this environment.
Bacterial growth! Very good point.
The quicker it dries out the better I imagine.

If you can get it right think if all the uses....

bookshelf

Bacterial growth! Very good point.
The quicker it dries out the better I imagine.

If you can get it right think if all the uses....
If you don't want to refrigerate it, try using the same kind of absorption packet that come in vitamins. They work very well for keeping a drier environment for otherwise shelf stable items. I even throw them in a package of greens along with a paper towel to keep them from getting soppy in the fridge (and for all of the peaters gasping at the fact that I said *greens*, it's ok, I hardly use them and typically cook them first ;) ).

Lizb

If you don't want to refrigerate it, try using the same kind of absorption packet that come in vitamins. They work very well for keeping a drier environment for otherwise shelf stable items. I even throw them in a package of greens along with a paper towel to keep them from getting soppy in the fridge (and for all of the peaters gasping at the fact that I said *greens*, it's ok, I hardly use them and typically cook them first ;) ).
Thank you for the useful tip bookshelf.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals