Calcium (and/or Magnesium) Raises Testosterone Levels In Men

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written that calcium lowers prolactin, which should result in higher dopamine, lower serotonin, and thus higher testosterone. In addition, calcium is considered one of the Electron Withdrawing Cardinal Adsorbent (EWC) in Ling's AI theory of the cell and Ray has said that it is one of the most powerful boosters of metabolism.
This study shows that a human dose of 35 mg/kg of supplemental calcium raises testosterone in men. The study was done in athletes but I don't see a reason why it would not hold true for everybody.
The ability of calcium to lower prolactin should be interesting to anybody with issues related to libido, hair loss, autoimmune conditions, etc.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 008-8294-5

Btw, the same scientists published another study using magnesium (sulfate). A dose of 10 mg/kg elemental magnesium also raised testosterone levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20352370

So, combining calcium with magnesium as Ray suggests may have additive effects.

lexis

Is it advisable to increase calcium intake without lowering estrogen?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mittir

lexis said:

The way i understand, if cell is not energized due to high estrogen and or low thyroid
then cell will take up calcium whether it is from diet or from bones.
When body breaks down bones to supply calcium the PTH is high and
that causes calcification of soft tissues and arteries. With low PTH
dietary calcium should go to building bones. I have seen major improvement
in allergy, weight loss by consistently using 2000-2500 mg calcium with less
phosphorus than calcium. Blood calcium is increased with low dietary calcium intake
and only adequate calcium intake will lower blood calcium to normal level.
I think main focus should be lowering the PTH with calcium, vitamin D, vitamin K
etc and improving thyroid function. Good thyroid function keeps estrogen in check
and high estrogen blocks thyroid function.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
nograde said:
haidut said:
... and Ray has said that it is one of the most powerful boosters of metabolism.

haidut, could you please comment on the studies linked here:

http://peatarian.com/47978/critical-rev ... metabolism

Those studies independently show that neither milk nor calcium are able to raise metabolism.

I don't have time to read them all right now, but the first thing I saw was that all of these studies used relatively low doses of calcium. The highest supplemental amount I saw was 1,400mg per day and to see metabolic effects and lower PTH you need at least 2,000mg extra calcium daily. Ray advises even higher amounts - 4,000mg - 5,000mg range and those are the ranges consumed by the Masai tribe. I have never seen an obese Masai, and they also never get heart problems or any other calcification issues.

Nick Ireland

Can't emphasise enough the importance of getting the Mg/Ca ratio correct. A lot of 'modern' gurus and physicians are recommending a 1:1 ratio, which I have personally found that to be way too high on the Mg side. It was only after reading calcium posts on here I decided to up my Ca to 2500mg per day (whilst chasing down histamine) and keep my Mg at 500mg and I I definitely feel benefits. The irony is that too low dose calcium seems to produce nervous effects which can be corrected by the calming effects of magnesium. This can only be temporary, surely, as the underlying deficiency is not being tackled.
Looking at Haidut's research above it would seem that 35mg/kg Ca and 10mg/kg Mg is maximising returns from both minerals for adult males and suggesting an optimal 3.5/1 basic ratio. Ray has previously talked about the 'big' minerals in our nutritional repertoire acting as substitutes for each other when one is deficient. So I am not surprised Magnesium is depleted when it's biological 'partner' calcium has probably been deficient in an individual for many years. This would require attention for both, in a justified ratio.

allblues

How do you guys feel about eating powdered limestone? A family member recently brought this home (sorry for strange language site) pH-kalkpulver, 500g - pH-Balans - Grön Gåva

Intuitively it feels a little weird but the stats look alright, 1 teaspoon brings 1400 mg calcium and 600 mg magnesium, both in the carbonate form.

It says on the box it's extracted from "wholly natural limestone quarries." I wonder what an unnatural quarry would be like.

Stryker

After finding success with testicular application of dhea, k-dht , mk4 i wanted to some digging for factors that could affect the binding of the androgenic hormones in the blood

Here are some interesting excerpts
"Magnesium binds SHBG in a nonspecific mode, leading to an uncompetitive inhibition with T in binding SHBG and to a subsequent enhancement of Bio-T availability. The binding is accompanied by a magnesium release (or uptake) with a corresponding heat effect around in magnitude 17 kJ/mol ."

"SHBG is a homodimer comprising 373 amino acid residues for each monomer that transports the sex steroids in the blood and also regulating their activity in target cells . Interestingly, each monomer of SHBG contains three metal-binding sites, one calcium-binding and two zinc-binding, that are divalent cations as well as magnesium. This data supports, at molecular level, the role of magnesium in modulating T bioactivity."

"Serum albumin binds to T with low affinity. In particular DHEA and T seem to bind to the same HSA site. DHEA has been shown to displace T to its HSA binding site. The authors observed in vitro that adequate magnesium concentrations displaced T from its HSA binding site and hypothesized the opportunity of testing in vivo the effects of magnesium supplementation, during DHEA treatment, on the Bio-T rate."

"Interestingly, the authors showed significant enhancing in steroidogenic enzymes, namely, delta(5)3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, activities at moderate and high dose of magnesium that resulted in increased serum T levels . This phenomenon was followed by a progressive development in cytoarchitecture of genital organs "

"Among the constant darkness groups (D-groups), the highest value for testes weight was observed under the normal-Ca, normal-Mg, and normal-Na diet, and the lowest value was observed under the low-Ca, normal-Mg, and low-Na diet. Among the normal lighting groups (N-groups), the highest value for testes weight was observed under the low-Ca, normal-Mg, and normal-Na diet, and the lowest value was observed under the normal-Ca, normal-Mg, and low-Na diet. Among the D-groups, the highest value for serum testosterone was observed under the normal-Ca, normal-Mg, and low-Na diet. Among the N-groups, the highest value was observed under the low-Ca, normal-Mg, and low-Na diet. It became clear that the amount of dietary Ca necessary for the gonadal development of rats increases when rats are kept under constant darkness as a model of disturbed daily rhythm compared with the normal lighting condition."

Agent207

"Among the normal lighting groups (N-groups), the highest value for testes weight was observed under the low-Ca, normal-Mg, and normal-Na diet, and the lowest value was observed under the normal-Ca, normal-Mg, and low-Na diet."

"Among the N-groups, the highest value [for serum testosterone] was observed under the low-Ca, normal-Mg, and low-Na diet"

Good catch! this confirms my thoughts about higher Mg/Ca is better when having proper vitamin D levels; and just under darker living environments, higher calcium may compensate for it someway.

I guess with good 25(OH)D levels (≥50 ng/mL), 1:1 calcium:magnesium is a good approach while keeping phosphorus at bay.

Last edited:

Elephanto

This is from an increase in intracellular Calcium. Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) is the main factor that increases intracellular Calcium by removing Calcium from bones, and it can be restricted by an higher dietary ratio of Calcium/Phosphate and by Magnesium as the body's main calcium receptor antagonist. CO2 is an antagonist of PTH. The inflammatory cytokine IL-6 promotes it (Zinc, Magnesium, B12, Vitamin E and TLR4 antagonists are effective at inhibiting IL-6; it is increased by Endotoxins, Serotonin, Iron, excess Copper, in diabetic states for instance). Estrogen and Cortisol (known factors in osteoporosis) directly promote PTH, as well as PUFAs and Serotonin. Factors that keep Calcium in bones (K2, Boron and all the negative regulators of PTH) prevent increases in Intracellular Calcium. PTH (like estrogen and serotonin) inhibits cellular respiration and activates glycolysis, lowering the ATP level and shifting the cells metabolism toward the production of lactic acid rather than carbon dioxide.

All cell death is characterized by an increase of intracellular calcium….” “Increase of cytoplasmic free calcium may therefore be called ‘the final common path’
of cell disease and cell death. Aging as a background of diseases is also characterized by an increase of intracellular calcium. Diseases typically associated
with aging include hypertension, arteriosclerosis, diabetes mellitus and dementia.” -Fujita, 1991

4 of 5 studies of patients on peritoneal dialysis showed a significant inverse relationship between serum Mg and serum intact parathyroid hormone.

there is an inverse relationship between serum Mg and vascular calcification
Relationship between serum magnesium, parathyroid hormone, and vascular calcification in patients on dialysis: a literature review. - PubMed - NCBI

Magnesium is an important factor for ATP production, synthesizing it from Phosphate leading to PTH inhibition. This should protect against cancer, liver damage like Haidut recently showed, and many other degenerative conditions.
Magnesium plays a pivotal role in formation of the transition state where ATP is synthesized from ADP and inorganic phosphate.

Last edited:

walker_in_aus

So we want more calcium, but less intracellular calcium... which is why magnesium and k2 are such powerful supps. Does this basically mean we operate better when there is higher potential across membranes? Extra calcium but outSIDE the cells?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

"The mean estradiol level in sera of rats fed the Ca-deficient diet was significantly increased to 4.3 times that in the regular diet group. However, the increased estradiol concentration was reduced after the administration of menatetrenone or elcatonin. The estrone concentrations in sera of menatetrenone- or elcatonin-treated rats fed the Ca-deficient diet decreased to a level lower than that of animals fed the regular diet. Testicular aromatase cytochrome P450 (P450(arom); estrogen synthetase) activity was significantly increased by 2.4-fold in the Ca-deficient diet group compared to that in the regular diet group, and the aromatase mRNA level was also significantly increased 1.45-fold. Testicular aromatase activity was strongly correlated with aromatase mRNA level and serum estradiol level. These data suggest that the change in testicular aromatase expression might be, in part, a compensatory mechanism for the bone mineral deficiency induced by the Ca-deficient diet in aged male rats."
-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12370839

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals