Aspirin Decreases Cortisol And Increases Testosterone In Humans

haidut

Forum Supporter
This was a short-term human study, which makes it particularly interesting to athletes and people with hypothyroidism. When Ray was asked about declining health in an aging male, his response was:

"...Thyroid deficiency in men typically causes a high ratio of cortisol to testosterone, with a tendency to convert testosterone to estrogen. Thyroid, pregnenolone, aspirin, and a diet that includes liver about once a week, help to improve the ratios."

Now, this study confirms that aspirin may be able to achieve the improvement in cortisol/testosterone ratio, while also opposing estrogen. The doses was 800mg twice a day (1,600mg total) for 10 days.
It is also worth noting, that in 4 of the 12 subjects (33%) plasma testosterone concentrations went above the upper limit of the normal range defined by the lab.

Do non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs influence the steroid hormone milieu in male athletes? - PubMed - NCBI

"...The main result of this study is that in our group of moderately trained athletes, a short-term ASA treatment compared to placebo was associated to significantly reduced after-treatment morning plasma F (cortisol) absolute concentrations (Fig. 1). Also, significant differences in the absolute and percentage of variation for F, T, and T/F ratio were observed. In particular, F concentration showed a significantly greater decrease and T concentration a significantly greater increase after ASA treatment, with respect to placebo treatment."

"...In fact, after ASA treatment, four volunteers showed individual plasma T concentrations slightly higher than the upper level of the reference range for their age (e.g., 30.67, 30.81, 35.15, and 39.48 nmol/L, respectively) (Fig. 3). On these bases, the observed higher mean plasma T concentration after ASA treatment, although above the limits of statistical significance (p = 0.052), has to be considered of clinical relevance."

Last edited:

superhuman

Thats awesome. RP told me in email that the best thing to reduce cortisol was aspirin and pregnenolone

BastiFuntasty

I wonder what will happen when you stop your daily aspirin, isn't it more likely that the extra testosterone will convert into estrogen then?

Kasper

@BastiFuntasty Only if you cortisol is high I think. Cortisol can be high from inflammation, as the body increases cortisol to decrease inflammation. I think that is part of the mechanism that aspirin decreases cortisol.

Vinero

Interesting. I naturally take 1 gram of aspirin two times a day with a meal. This is about 2000 mg per day which is about the same amount used in the study.

Steveig84

What would be consider a reasonable long term dose of asprin i've been doing 125mg 2-3 time a day for a while, doing a full dose of estroban daily and eating well cooked kale about 1-2 a week so Vit- K should be adequat.

Im assuming that the higher doses mentioned are for short time usage?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What would be consider a reasonable long term dose of asprin i've been doing 125mg 2-3 time a day for a while, doing a full dose of estroban daily and eating well cooked kale about 1-2 a week so Vit- K should be adequat.

Im assuming that the higher doses mentioned are for short time usage?

It was a study done for 10 days. I posted it to show that Peat's recommendations for aspirin, pregnenolone, etc for lowering cortisol and increasing testosterone have evidence behind them. I don't know how long you can take that high dose, but another study found that only 800mg aspirin daily for a few months was still enough to improve bone health and lower cholesterol, which are also symptoms of less cortisol and more steroids like testosterone.

acrylic

It was a study done for 10 days. I posted it to show that Peat's recommendations for aspirin, pregnenolone, etc for lowering cortisol and increasing testosterone have evidence behind them. I don't know how long you can take that high dose, but another study found that only 800mg aspirin daily for a few months was still enough to improve bone health and lower cholesterol, which are also symptoms of less cortisol and more steroids like testosterone.

What's a reasonable dose for long term use? 650mg/day?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What's a reasonable dose for long term use? 650mg/day?

Depends on the context/need. If you search the forum you will find many discussions about various needs and doses associated with them.

NathanK

Hm, so aspririn lowers inflammation, which thereby lowers cortisol, which thereby lowers excess FFA, which thereby increases testosterone. Makes sense to me.

Lyall

Is there any speculation as to what such a doseage would effect in females? I assume more progesterone?

gbolduev

Haidut , bud. Aspirin is an acid, it will lower potassium in the cell as any acid does. At first body will try to compensate for lack of potassium in the cell by inducing 3 beta HSD and raising progesterone. This will obviously increase testosterone via 3 beta hsd. In a week, testosterone will crash and will stay down for EVER, and then you get low on zinc you will crash.

I told you many times , these studies are out of context. Your conclusions from these studies are just wrong.

if you want to understand biochemistry start from the anesthesiology. PH is the first thing the body is after.

RedStaR

Haidut , bud. Aspirin is an acid, it will lower potassium in the cell as any acid does. At first body will try to compensate for lack of potassium in the cell by inducing 3 beta HSD and raising progesterone. This will obviously increase testosterone via 3 beta hsd. In a week, testosterone will crash and will stay down for EVER, and then you get low on zinc you will crash.

I told you many times , these studies are out of context. Your conclusions from these studies are just wrong.

if you want to understand biochemistry start from the anesthesiology. PH is the first thing the body is after.

I'm interested in this. Did we ever find out the long term implications of Aspirin use?

Yes me too, I am considering starting aspirin

@DaveFoster I think you are the aspirin expert here, what do you think of Gbolduev's argument?

Anecdotal but i experienced what golbudev was takiing about. Initial spike in sense of well being and then low energy and a sort of sumissive ennui after the first week.

michael94

Anecdotal but i experienced what golbudev was takiing about. Initial spike in sense of well being and then low energy and a sort of sumissive ennui after the first week.

Gbolduev makes it sound like this negative feedback loop after the positive effects is something inherent to all humans but it is not... and Ray warned strongly against this kind of thinking.

If you want my opinion I think cholestasis is the reason this happens ( So it would certainly apply to most adult humans ).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals