Magnesium, Zinc And Vitamin B6 Can Reduce NO

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study looked at causes and solutions of migraines. It directly blames estrogen iron and NO, and lists several substances Peat has written about that have been found to be useful in migraine. What they all have in common is that they reduce levels of NO in the body.
Based on the abstract it seems that magnesium acts like methylene blue - gets NO out of the cell, while zinc inhibits the synthesis of NO.
The study mentions a regimen of zinc, vitamin B complex and vitamin A & E, which cured almost all of the patients in 6 weeks. It also proposes magnesium, zinc and selenium as a treatment of migraines. The mechanism of action is probably reduced NO and opposition of radicals generated by iron and copper. The interesting part is that the study views copper in bad light, associated with estrogen dominance and damaging radicals. However, copper is also essential to metabolism so it's probably free copper they are talking about.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21530095

"... Zinc deficiency reduces activity of CuZn-SOD. Magnesium and vitamin B6 modulates the level of NO in the cell, both of which are deficient in migraineurs. Magnesium is essential for the removal of trapped NO from within the cell which does not occur under low magnesium levels, which reacts with superoxide generating dangerous peroxynitrite. Iron stimulates nitric oxide synthase producing more NO which is inhibited by zinc, thus, antagonizing peroxynitrite generation. Female hormones lowers magnesium but increase calcium levels which enhance migraine ubiquitousness. Accumulation of copper and iron in deep areas of brain and peripheral nerves typically catalyses the oxidation of catecholamines and generate free radicals involved in lipid-peroxidation, demyelination, denudation of axons and neurodegeneration in specific areas exposing hyperalgesic axons provoking Classical migraine. Furthermore, zinc is an essential component of Zn-fingers (Krox20 and Krox24) which play a pivotal role in the differentiation of Schwann cells-the mainstay for the myelination/remyelination of peripheral nerves. Taken together, conceptually and logically, 30 migraineurs were administered 75 mg of zinc sulfate orally in water daily for 6 weeks+one capsule of vitamin B-complex+one capsule of vitamin A or E (first 10 days) which almost cured all of them. Placebo controlled trials with incremental doses of zinc sulfate along with magnesium and selenium are proposed to augment recovery involving large population of migraineurs. Monitoring of hair and blood mineral analysis for rational therapy is recommended."

I don't know why, but "ZMA" supplements contain those three.

ravster02

I don't know why, but supplements of zinc, magnesium and B6 contain zinc, magnesium and B6.

ravster02 said:
I don't know why, but supplements of zinc, magnesium and B6 contain zinc, magnesium and B6.

But what was the rationale behind it?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
ravster02 said:

I think there is some research suggesting that zinc and magnesium raise testosterone and B6 increases magnesium absorption. However, subsequent studies showed that B6 helps magnesium absorption only when you are really deficient in magnesium. So, I guess they decided to keep the B6 due to the original research but it is the magnesium and zinc that are supposed to be the active substances. Also, there is some evidence that magnesium reduces cortisol and anything that increases the testosterone/cortisol ratio will likely be beneficial in muscle building.
Just my 2c.

haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:
ravster02 said:

I think there is some research suggesting that zinc and magnesium raise testosterone and B6 increases magnesium absorption. However, subsequent studies showed that B6 helps magnesium absorption only when you are really deficient in magnesium. So, I guess they decided to keep the B6 due to the original research but it is the magnesium and zinc that are supposed to be the active substances. Also, there is some evidence that magnesium reduces cortisol and anything that increases the testosterone/cortisol ratio will likely be beneficial in muscle building.
Just my 2c.

Interesting!

chris

Haidut, what supplements do you actually take on a daily or near daily basis?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
chris said:

I take my supplement EstroBan (the vitamins K, A, D, and E) and since I try to ingest decent dose of calcium through food I do take magnesium. Sometimes I take magnesium bicarbonate that I make myself, but when I am away from home I take magnesium taurate. I try to get at least 500mg magnesium daily.
Other Peat supplements I take sporadically, including the B vitamins, aspirin, pregnenolone/DHEA, etc.

tara

Great study, thanks Haidut!

andvanwyk

haidut said:
chris said:

I take my supplement EstroBan (the vitamins K, A, D, and E) and since I try to ingest decent dose of calcium through food I do take magnesium. Sometimes I take magnesium bicarbonate that I make myself, but when I am away from home I take magnesium taurate. I try to get at least 500mg magnesium daily.
Other Peat supplements I take sporadically, including the B vitamins, aspirin, pregnenolone/DHEA, etc.

Haidut, do you take any thyroid also?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
andvanwyk said:
haidut said:
chris said:

Haidut, do you take any thyroid also?

No, I don't take thyroid. No matter how much I tried thyroid was making me feel much much worse. Also, my temperature and pulse stabilized with diet and supplements alone so I figured there is no need to take hormones. I think the biggest obstacle for most people taking thyroid is sluggish liver and estrogen dominance. IMO, until those are fixed thyroid supplementation offers very little benefit.
Btw, there are plenty of substances out there that would give temperature and pulse response similar to thyroid and without the side effects.

tomisonbottom

No, I don't take thyroid. No matter how much I tried thyroid was making me feel much much worse. Also, my temperature and pulse stabilized with diet and supplements alone so I figured there is no need to take hormones. I think the biggest obstacle for most people taking thyroid is sluggish liver and estrogen dominance. IMO, until those are fixed thyroid supplementation offers very little benefit.
Btw, there are plenty of substances out there that would give temperature and pulse response similar to thyroid and without the side effects.

Haidut, what do you think the reason was in your case that thyroid wasn't working? Liver issues?

FredSonoma

Magnesium magnesium magnesium... I can feel that I need way more but just can't find a source that doesn't give me some weird symptoms. Mag oil, mag bi carb, mag chloride internally all give me issues.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut, what do you think the reason was in your case that thyroid wasn't working? Liver issues?

Probably liver, yes. I had slightly elevated AST for a few months and after that cleared up with the caffeine and vitamin K2 it seems I did not need thyroid. It is amazing how even a slightly sluggish liver can effect us. I guess even slightly impaired detox of estrogen and endotoxin can cause issues.

Peata

Probably liver, yes. I had slightly elevated AST for a few months and after that cleared up with the caffeine and vitamin K2 it seems I did not need thyroid. It is amazing how even a slightly sluggish liver can effect us. I guess even slightly impaired detox of estrogen and endotoxin can cause issues.

This is true. There's an obvious difference in my liver the last two weeks of cycle, especially the one leading up to period. With more estrogen stuck in there, I am more sensitive to things I eat and supplement, get more GI upsets, diarrhea, and prone to headache from stimulants like caffeine, or stress or heat, etc.

M

marikay

Magnesium magnesium magnesium... I can feel that I need way more but just can't find a source that doesn't give me some weird symptoms. Mag oil, mag bi carb, mag chloride internally all give me issues.

Doesn't soaking in an Epsom salt bath work for you?

milk_lover

Anybody has an opinion about zinc picolinate? I heard it's absorbed well and it doesn't contain high amounts of cadmium (Peat is mainly against zinc supplementation because of cadmium toxicity). Oysters are very difficult to find fresh that does not give histamine issues. I eat lamb and beef almost daily. I just need it after sex to reduce prolactin and replenish my zinc stores.

Parsifal

Doesn't soaking in an Epsom salt bath work for you?
Isn't the sulfate possibly converted into sulfite and maybe increasing nitric oxide?

Anybody has an opinion about zinc picolinate? I heard it's absorbed well and it doesn't contain high amounts of cadmium (Peat is mainly against zinc supplementation because of cadmium toxicity). Oysters are very difficult to find fresh that does not give histamine issues. I eat lamb and beef almost daily. I just need it after sex to reduce prolactin and replenish my zinc stores.
Zinc gluconate from Nutrabio helps me to reduce prolactin but Ray said that zinc supplements are oxidizing.

milk_lover

Isn't the sulfate possibly converted into sulfite and maybe increasing nitric oxide?

Zinc gluconate from Nutrabio helps me to reduce prolactin but Ray said that zinc supplements are oxidizing.
yeah Peat is not big on zinc supplementation I've noticed. But if they reduce prolactin and are used once a week (akin to eating oysters), is that a problem?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals