Is my magnesium, zinc, copper, iron level ok?

ironfist

I hear so much about "everyone is deficient in magnesium." Ok. And then I read but having a magnesium serum test is worthless because your body closely regulates the amount of mag in your body, blah blah, get rbc instead. Side note, I've never seen any documents ever other than self-appointed internet providers who say this, btw, not about serum magnesium being stupid, but about everyone being low in magnesium.

So whatever, I got a magnesium RBC test.

I did copper and zinc, too, for a handful of reasons.

1) Whenever I take zinc, I get tendonitis. I hear this is because it removes copper, and copper is necessary for tendon health.
2) When I took Niagen years ago, I got tendonitis (there's a big thread on longecity were lots of people got tendonitis). Again, I think this may be a copper thing.

And then I did lots of irons because I hear that's important for things, too, and because I have long-covid from the vaccine and wanted to know what my iron levels were.

Ok, so here

ceruloplasmin 28 (18-36)
copper 99 (70-175)
ferritin 66 (38-380)
magnesium rbc 5.5 (4-6.4)
iron total 78 (50-180)
iron binding capacity 329 (250-425)
saturation 24 (20-48)
transferritin 267 (188-341)
zinc 86 (60-130)

I'm a male, 41.

Ferritin looks to be on the low side of normal.

Magnesium looks fine right? I take 100 or 200mg of magnesium lysinate/glycinate per day only because I'm supplementing B1 (another chemical which, surprise surprise, they say blood tests are inaccurate for) and I heard you're supposed to use magnesium with it.

Is my copper low? What copper supplements should one use? I hear copper (glycinate?) is useless and only ultra expensive Cu1 from that certain company is useful. I moreover hear copper is bad and accumulates and you don't want a lot, ever. But I get tendonitis frequently, so...

Titanium

I hear so much about "everyone is deficient in magnesium." Ok. And then I read but having a magnesium serum test is worthless because your body closely regulates the amount of mag in your body, blah blah, get rbc instead. Side note, I've never seen any documents ever other than self-appointed internet providers who say this, btw, not about serum magnesium being stupid, but about everyone being low in magnesium.

1) Whenever I take zinc, I get tendonitis. I hear this is because it removes copper, and copper is necessary for tendon health.
2) When I took Niagen years ago, I got tendonitis (there's a big thread on longecity were lots of people got tendonitis). Again, I think this may be a copper thing.

And then I did lots of irons because I hear that's important for things, too, and because I have long-covid from the vaccine and wanted to know what my iron levels were.

Ok, so here

ceruloplasmin 28 (18-36)
copper 99 (70-175)
ferritin 66 (38-380)
iron total 78 (50-180)
saturation 24 (20-48)
zinc 86 (60-130)

I'm a male, 41.

Magnesium looks fine right? I take 100 or 200mg of magnesium lysinate/glycinate per day only because I'm supplementing B1 (another chemical which, surprise surprise, they say blood tests are inaccurate for) and I heard you're supposed to use magnesium with it.

Is my copper low? What copper supplements should one use? I hear copper (glycinate?) is useless and only ultra expensive Cu1 from that certain company is useful. I moreover hear copper is bad and accumulates and you don't want a lot, ever. But I get tendonitis frequently, so...
I have a similar experience with supplementing Zinc. With Zinc alone I'm not only more susceptible for tendonitis but also develop heal cracks very rapidly. Within weeks my heals starting to develop cracks and eventually the cracks start to bleed (painful). With copper and sufficient protein the cracks heals within a week. I have noticed this repeatedly and the speed of it really surprises me. When you supplement zinc I advise to balance with copper (10:1). I take NaturesPlus, Copper, 3 mg, 90 Tablets and that works fine. Do not take copper on an empty stomach.

Beastmode

Ok, so here

ceruloplasmin 28 (18-36)
copper 99 (70-175)
ferritin 66 (38-380)
iron total 78 (50-180)
saturation 24 (20-48)
zinc 86 (60-130)

I'm a male, 41.

I took the same test last week:

CERULOPASM 23 18-36 mg/dL
% SATURATION 49 20-48%
FERRETIN 210 38-380 mcg/dL
IRON BINDIN CAPACITY 295 250-425 mcg/dL
IRON TOTAL 146 50-180 mcg/dL
TRANSFERRIN 222 188-341 mg/dL
HEMOGLOBIN 16.7 13.2-17.1 g/dL
VITAMIN A (retinol) 54 38-98 mcg
VITAMIN D, 25-OH 58 30-100 ng/mL
COPPER 100 70-175 mcg/dL
MAGNESIUM, RBC 5.3 40-6.4 mg/dL
ZINC 122 60-130 mcg/dL

I'm a 43 year old male and have been eating a "Peat" inspired diet the past 5 years consistently.

Beastmode

@ironfist

Looking at your levels, at least according to the RCP people I know, there pretty good. However, they would add Vitamin D and A levels to make a more accurate picture. I don't think messing with zinc is a good unless it comes from foods like oysters.

I took the panel because I was already planning on donating blood, which I did a few days ago, and a buddy who's in the RCP program suggested I get this blood panel prior.

youngsinatra

I took the same test last week:

CERULOPASM 23 18-36 mg/dL
% SATURATION 49 20-48%
FERRETIN 210 38-380 mcg/dL
IRON BINDIN CAPACITY 295 250-425 mcg/dL
IRON TOTAL 146 50-180 mcg/dL
TRANSFERRIN 222 188-341 mg/dL
HEMOGLOBIN 16.7 13.2-17.1 g/dL
VITAMIN A (retinol) 54 38-98 mcg
VITAMIN D, 25-OH 58 30-100 ng/mL
COPPER 100 70-175 mcg/dL
MAGNESIUM, RBC 5.3 40-6.4 mg/dL
ZINC 122 60-130 mcg/dL

I'm a 43 year old male and have been eating a "Peat" inspired diet the past 5 years consistently.
The iron saturation is pretty high in my opinion. Ferritin too, as it should be between 50-70.
Donating blood every 2 months should make you feel euphoric, especially in the beginning.

I‘ll get the same test this week again to see where I am at right now :)

OP
I

ironfist

@ironfist

Looking at your levels, at least according to the RCP people I know, there pretty good. However, they would add Vitamin D and A levels to make a more accurate picture. I don't think messing with zinc is a good unless it comes from foods like oysters.

I took the panel because I was already planning on donating blood, which I did a few days ago, and a buddy who's in the RCP program suggested I get this blood panel prior.
How come you wouldn't mess with zinc levels besides food?

Beastmode

The iron saturation is pretty high in my opinion. Ferritin too, as it should be between 50-70.
Donating blood every 2 months should make you feel euphoric, especially in the beginning.

I‘ll get the same test this week again to see where I am at right now :)
It is pretty high. I'm aware of those ranges. Some believe getting ferritin down to 20 is more ideal. Also, getting the ceruloplasmin up as well to around 30. If either are true or not is less important than how I feel and operate day to day. I'm pretty in tune with my system at this point since I've started on this "Peaty" approach in Dec 2016.

Every 2 months isn't in the plans, but that might change depending on how I feel. Sticking to quarterly for now.

Through the addition of blood donations, I'm curious what I notice. The main thing thus far, since my first one the other day, is a bit more relaxed and at ease. It's been something I wanted to add, but I was waiting until I got my metabolic system strong as I didn't want to add another potential "stressor."

Beastmode

How come you wouldn't mess with zinc levels besides food?
Personally, I attempt to get as much from food as possible. The delivery system is far different in a food than an isolated supplement. Kinda like taking caffeine from pills vs getting it through coffee.

youngsinatra

It is pretty high. I'm aware of those ranges. Some believe getting ferritin down to 20 is more ideal. Also, getting the ceruloplasmin up as well to around 30. If either are true or not is less important than how I feel and operate day to day. I'm pretty in tune with my system at this point since I've started on this "Peaty" approach in Dec 2016.

Every 2 months isn't in the plans, but that might change depending on how I feel. Sticking to quarterly for now.

Through the addition of blood donations, I'm curious what I notice. The main thing thus far, since my first one the other day, is a bit more relaxed and at ease. It's been something I wanted to add, but I was waiting until I got my metabolic system strong as I didn't want to add another potential "stressor."
With each blood donation you lose between 50-70 points on the ferritin test IIRC.

I feel relaxed and euphoric after donating blood. Aches and pains are greatly reduced. Like a burden lifted from the body.

Beastmode

With each blood donation you lose between 50-70 points on the ferritin test IIRC.

I feel relaxed and euphoric after donating blood. Aches and pains are greatly reduced. Like a burden lifted from the body.
I'll get one in July and October of this year so it'll total 3 for this year. I plan on retesting towards the end of the year to see how it matches with my personal metrics that I keep day to day.

The only other change I've made is to stop vitamin D. However, I wasn't taking much at all so it's really not a "hard" stop. I live in Florida so I get plenty of sunlight exposure. I also switched to raw milk fully and cut out the store bought milk that has vitamin d in it, etc.

aniciete

How often do you think someone in good health should donate blood to avoid iron accumulation? Is every 2 months necessary?

youngsinatra

How often do you think someone in good health should donate blood to avoid iron accumulation? Is every 2 months necessary?
Only if iron saturation and ferritin is high, or if you consume lots of beef daily.

youngsinatra

Just got back from the private lab.
I requested:

• Serum Iron
• Ferritin
• Iron-Saturation Index
• Total-Iron-Binding-Capacity
• Serum Copper
• Ceruloplasmin
• Plasma Zinc
• Vitamin A (Retinol)

+ ALT/AST, which were elevated last time. Vitamin A was 87.1 mcg/dl last time I tested 5-6 months ago (which is elevated according to stricter references ranges)

Beastmode

Just got back from the private lab.
I requested:

• Serum Iron
• Ferritin
• Iron-Saturation Index
• Total-Iron-Binding-Capacity
• Serum Copper
• Ceruloplasmin
• Plasma Zinc
• Vitamin A (Retinol)

+ ALT/AST, which were elevated last time. Vitamin A was 87.1 mcg/dl last time I tested 5-6 months ago (which is elevated according to stricter references ranges)
What are the #'s?

youngsinatra

I only see the names, not the results. You mention retinol towards the end with some kind of value. Maybe it's on my end that the values don't appear next to what you got tested.
Oh, I did not yet get the results. I am awaiting them.

youngsinatra

Have you done this specific battery of tests before for comparison?

At your age I can't imagine them being too bad.
I had all the symptoms of severe vitamin A toxicity and my chronic vitamin A intake (for 1 year) was indicative of it too. (~50K IU per day) So I wanted some clarity and tested serum vitamin A (retinol), liver and lipid panel.

I had elevated liver enzymes (3 x the upper limit), high cholesterol, high triglycerides and elevated serum vitamin A.

I only wanted to get the full monty iron panel to check my iron status. In the last 1 year I donated 5 times and felt very euphoric and upbeat afterwards, while my hemoglobin is always 16.0+.

I did eat 1-2 lbs of red meat per day for the last 2 years so it could be iron overload potentially.
But I want to see my blood test results for deciding what to do next. :)

„Test, don‘t guess - then address“

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals