The "burning mouth" syndrome may be due to vitamin deficiencies, hypothyroidism

haidut

Forum Supporter
Just a quick post since I get a lot of emails about this issue, and apparently the rates have increased a lot since the pandemic began. According to the study below, this symptoms can be caused by insulin resistance, vitamin D/B6/B1 or zinc deficiencies, or hypothyroidism (high TSH). Looking at those issues, one immediately sees that they overlap to a great degree - any one of them may cause one or more of the others (e.g. hypothyroidism may cause insulin resistance or vitamin D deficiencies, and vice versa), though vitamin D deficiency is apparently the most common cause. Since the vitamin or zinc deficiencies are relatively easy to address, it may be worth trying some of those supplements if a person experiences the "burning mouth" issue for more than 2-3 days in a row, and a food/dietary reason has been excluded.

"...A study was scheduled by the Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester which is based in the USA in the year 2017. “In patients with symptoms of Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS), our results suggest it is reasonable to screen for fasting blood glucose, vitamin D (D2 and D3), vitamin B6, zinc, vitamin B1, and TSH. Deficiencies of vitamin B12 and folic acid were rare.” The study was titled: “Burning mouth syndrome: results of screening tests for vitamin and mineral deficiencies, thyroid hormone, and glucose levels-experience at Mayo Clinic over a decade”. Yet again a report was carried out by Express.co.uk, this burning pain or this sensation is mostly located in the lips or tongue, or in some the other cases it is more widespread in the whole of the mouth. One can also sense other symptoms including numbness, dryness, and an unpleasant taste. This sensation can make mealtimes very uncomfortable. But Burning Tongue Syndrome is not exclusively linked to Vitamin D deficiency and can also be caused by a variety of different vitamin and mineral deficiencies, such as vitamin B, iron, and zinc."

Jing

Vitamin b6 has got rid of burning pain on the roof of my mouth.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Vitamin b6 has got rid of burning pain on the roof of my mouth.

Great, thanks for sharing. Do you mind expanding a bit - i.e. what type, how much daily and for how long you used it before you saw an effect?

Jing

Great, thanks for sharing. Do you mind expanding a bit - i.e. what type, how much daily and for how long you used it before you saw an effect?
P5P, 90mg daily and noticed an effect next day was all gone after two days. 90mg all before bed I also find it helps me sleep better.

Last edited:

aliml

Inflammatory cytokines (IL-6, IL-1β, TNF-α) are associated with burning mouth syndrome.
A large dose of vitamin B6 (100 mg/day) suppresses inflammatory cytokines (that is, IL-6 and TNF-alpha).

IL-6 Inhibitors

IL-1beta Inhibitors

TNF-alpha Inhibitors

Top Ways to Inhibit IL-6​

Foods To Inhibit IL-6​

Nutrients To Inhibit IL-6​

Hormones To Inhibit IL-6​

Supplements To Inhibit IL-6​

Pathways To Inhibit IL-6​

Top Ways To Inhibit IL-1b​

Foods To Inhibit IL-1b​

• Cyanidin-3-O-β-glucoside (C3G) typical anthocyanin [122] – Found in many fruits.
  • Ginger [106] – Has lectins, but was one of the most potent out of 20 medicinal plants [106].
  • Sulforaphane/Broccoli sprouts/Cruciferous Vegetables [123].
  • Anthocyanins (from red raspberries) [124].
  • Oat polyphenols [125]
  • Astaxanthin in fish [126].
  • Betalain/Beets [127]

Hormones To Inhibit IL-1b​

Supplements To Inhibit IL-1b​

Pathways To Inhibit IL-1b​

Top Ways To Inhibit TNF-a​

Foods To Inhibit TNF-a​

Hormones To Inhibit TNF-a​

Supplements To Inhibit TNF-a​

Pathways To Inhibit TNF-a​

LuckyCat

Had this happen after starting synthroid. I’m someone who does not convert t4 to t3 very well - once I stopped, it (and many other bad symptoms) went away.

golder

Had this happen after starting synthroid. I’m someone who does not convert t4 to t3 very well - once I stopped, it (and many other bad symptoms) went away.
What do you do now? Just T3 only? Have you tried any ways to improve your T4 to T3 conversion?

SuperStressed

This just happened to me for the first time ever. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like my throat and mouth were on fire. It's not like acid reflux, it feels like your mouth is literally on fire. It went away and I fell back asleep. I actually forgot it happened until it just flared up again. Worrying stuff.

SuperStressed

This just happened to me for the first time ever. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like my throat and mouth were on fire. It's not like acid reflux, it feels like your mouth is literally on fire. It went away and I fell back asleep. I actually forgot it happened until it just flared up again. Worrying stuff.
This went away and never came back, it was a very strange experience!

I'm.No.One

Surprised B12 isn't really being looked at here, deficiency is incredibly common since it's a major B used up by stress & burning lips/mouth is a primary symptom.

On top of that people with gut issues can't absorb it from food during digestion.

For me not a single B vitamin besides B12 did anything for my sudden burning lips/mouth/face, B12 knocked it out in less than a week sublingually.

Side note: ALL of the histamine issues I randomly developed went away and my temps are now perfect (thinking this is why thyroid never made a difference for me, it was just B12 deficiency and mimicking hypothyroid).

Candeias

For me it started after taking B2 in active form and B12, I think it's a B6 deficiency

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals