Is my magnesium, zinc, copper, iron level ok?

Beastmode

I had all the symptoms of severe vitamin A toxicity and my chronic vitamin A intake (for 1 year) was indicative of it too. (~50K IU per day) So I wanted some clarity and tested serum vitamin A (retinol), liver and lipid panel.

I had elevated liver enzymes (3 x the upper limit), high cholesterol, high triglycerides and elevated serum vitamin A.

I only wanted to get the full monty iron panel to check my iron status. In the last 1 year I donated 5 times and felt very euphoric and upbeat afterwards, while my hemoglobin is always 16.0+.

I did eat 1-2 lbs of red meat per day for the last 2 years so it could be iron overload potentially.
But I want to see my blood test results for deciding what to do next. :)

„Test, don‘t guess - then address“
As I'm reading Morley's book and conversing with a buddy who's in his program, I got very interested in doing the same test.

Apparently, there's a few ratios that he looks for specifically to triangulate issues (i.e- iron overload.)

A few I can recall are:
- Cu/Ceruloplasmin Coppoer being around 100 and Ceruloplasmin being close to 30. Getting a 3.3 when dividing them.

- Saturation %: 25-30%

- Vit A/ Vit D being at least 3

I think he's onto something in regards to removing stuff and donating blood.

TheCalciumCad

I had all the symptoms of severe vitamin A toxicity and my chronic vitamin A intake (for 1 year) was indicative of it too. (~50K IU per day) So I wanted some clarity and tested serum vitamin A (retinol), liver and lipid panel.

I had elevated liver enzymes (3 x the upper limit), high cholesterol, high triglycerides and elevated serum vitamin A.

I only wanted to get the full monty iron panel to check my iron status. In the last 1 year I donated 5 times and felt very euphoric and upbeat afterwards, while my hemoglobin is always 16.0+.

I did eat 1-2 lbs of red meat per day for the last 2 years so it could be iron overload potentially.
But I want to see my blood test results for deciding what to do next. :)

„Test, don‘t guess - then address“
Interesting then as technically Peating should keep iron low (aspirin/milk as chelators, coffee with meals to limit iron absorption, blood donations etc) yet Garrett Smith logic says vitamin A destroys the liver and is what increases iron to begin with (not necessarily high meat intake)...so you should learn alot from the results. I've been Peating for 4yr an have probably averaged 11,000iu vitamin A daily and don't eat huge amounts of meat so I might test iron soon for the fun of it.

youngsinatra

Interesting then as technically Peating should keep iron low (aspirin/milk as chelators, coffee with meals to limit iron absorption, blood donations etc) yet Garrett Smith logic says vitamin A destroys the liver and is what increases iron to begin with (not necessarily high meat intake)...so you should learn alot from the results. I've been Peating for 4yr an have probably averaged 11,000iu vitamin A daily and don't eat huge amounts of meat so I might test iron soon for the fun of it.
Yeah, I drank a double espresso with each red meat meal to try to inhibit some of the iron absorption. But I don‘t take aspirin or consume milk, due to GI distress.

I think the body can usually handle a good amount of vitamin A each day, but I was probably just overdoing it with the crazy dosing scheme for so long.
A dear friend of mine did the same dosing as I did (as I sadly recommended it to him) and he ended up with the same problems like me.

Before everything broke loose, I was switching from retinyl palmitate to acetate but kept the dosage right, and it‘s been said that it reaches toxicity 10x faster.

youngsinatra

@youngsinatra Did your results come in?
Serum retinol even higher than 6 months ago (!)
I am now 6 months into following an almost zero vitamin A diet. Lots of it is stored in the liver y‘all!

Attachments

• 982E5657-1CDC-4A83-A90F-7EEDA2BBC822.jpeg
    982E5657-1CDC-4A83-A90F-7EEDA2BBC822.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 40

TheCalciumCad

I am now 6 months into following an almost zero vitamin A diet. Lots of it is stored in the liver y‘all!
Oh wow, exactly like Garrett Smith said it should...ferritin isn't too bad but he thinks iron goes down with vitamin A intake.

Beastmode

Now, how does one convert this into the metrics used here in the states? haha.

Ceruloplasmin, according to my attempt at converting it is around 16 and copper is 58.

58/16 = 3.6. According to Morley, 3.3 is around the "ideal" apparently.

What is your saturation %?

Last edited:

youngsinatra

Now, how does one convert this into the metrics used here in the states? haha.

Ceruloplasmin, according to my attempt at converting it is around 16 and copper is 58.

58/16 = 3.6. According to Morley, 3.3 is around the "ideal" apparently.

What is your saturation %?
Vitamin A is converted to 108 mcg/dl.

Saturation is at 28%.

Copper status is quite poor to be honest. Will definitely rethink my copper approach moving forward.
I could only imagine that the high level of zinc still blocks intestinal copper absorption or copper utilization.

It might also be the case that the copper formula that I use is simply not bioavailable.

youngsinatra

Oh wow, exactly like Garrett Smith said it should...ferritin isn't too bad but he thinks iron goes down with vitamin A intake.
Yeah ferritin and saturation look fine. But I also donated blood 5 times in the last 10 months.

aniciete

Vitamin A is converted to 108 mcg/dl.

Saturation is at 28%.

Copper status is quite poor to be honest. Will definitely rethink my copper approach moving forward.
I could only imagine that the high level of zinc still blocks intestinal copper absorption or copper utilization.

It might also be the case that the copper formula that I use is simply not bioavailable.
Do you think the copper is poor due to high levels of magnesium supplementation? Copper absorption as affected by supplemental calcium, magnesium, manganese, selenium and potassium - PubMed

youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I did do some high dose molybdenum with zinc last year so that might also ****88 up the copper status. Zinc = blocks copper absorption + Molybdenum = actively excretes copper.

OP
I

ironfist

Regarding RCP, I've seen their website but a review I read on reddit basically said many of their closed group moderators feel horrible and can't figure out why, and anyone who asks questions against them is deleted. So it's like a weird little group.

So maybe it's a works well for some people but not others thing.

Here's the thread:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Supplements/comments/m1gxij/morley_robbins_rcp/

Here's the post in question:

Is that the guy who’s obsessed with magnesium? Yes, it’s total crap. I know a couple people who’ve gotten really sick following his protocol, and one of them even worked with him directly. I lurked on his Facebook group for awhile, and so many people go on there with side effects and problems with his recommendations and they’re just told they’re not doing it right. Also, some of the group moderators were actually super sick, but still telling people to keep doing it and to do what they were doing. Some of the individual things are fine...like most people need some magnesium (cycled), bee pollen is fine.

Not taking iron and donating blood all the time is not ok for some people though. Some people actually need to supplement with iron and donating blood doesn’t help them. Just because it made him feel better doesn’t mean that’s what every person needs. He thinks people are cookie cutter and can all follow the exact same protocol. And excess magnesium makes some people feel a lot worse...even when they try to increase their other minerals. Some hormonal problems etc can cause low sodium, and if you take a ton of magnesium you’ll just feel worse and worse...he doesn’t take that into account and doesn’t understand why like half the people in his group can’t tolerate these super high doses of magnesium.

youngsinatra

Okay, I just started on copper (II) bisglycinate yesterday and I already feel bad from it. (irritability, dry mouth and had an anxiety attack at the mall that I did not have in the last 6 months almost)

I will go back to my selfmade copper (I) formula. Taking it definitely helps with the symptoms of copper deficiency, but without the issues that copper (II) brings on.

If anyone is interested in this:
Homemade mitosynergy copper (copper 1) Does it really work?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals