Calcium, Magnesium, Copper, and Zinc Types and Dosages

DaveFoster

There's a great deal of information on this site that concerns minerals, but a wide variety of different dosages for each substance. Haidut provides a lot of helpful studies that translates to calculable dosages, but there' still a lot of ambiguity.

Dosages for the following:

- Calcium (35 mg/kg raises testosterone) [calcium carbonate]
- Magnesium (10 mg/kg raises testosterone) [magnesium carbonate]
- Zinc (30 - 50 mg per day seems safe and lowers prolactin) [zinc glycinate but not gluconate]
Comparison of Four Commercially Available Zinc Supplements for Performance in a Zinc Tolerance Test
Robert A DiSilvestro and Melinda Swan

Human Nutrition, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH

ABSTRACT

Various zinc complexes have been used for supplements and food fortifications, but direct comparisons of bioavailability in humans are few. In the present study, in 12 young adult women, four zinc complexes (oxide, picolinate, gluconate, and glycinate) were compared for acute uptake using a zinc tolerance test (plasma zinc changes hourly for 4 h after a single zinc dosing), and two related measures (erythrocyte zinc and activity of the zinc enzyme 5'-nucleotidase over the same 4 h period). Plasma zinc rankings based on area under the curve, as well as by rank results per person, were: glycinate > gluconate > picolinate=oxide. Erythrocyte zinc rankings based on area under the curve, as well as by rank results per person, were: glycinate > picolinate >oxide > gluconate. None of the supplement significantly increased 5'-nucleotidase activities at any of the time points. In summary, zinc glycinate showed the best acute uptake of the four complexes tested. Disclosure Note: R DiSilvestro has a consultant retainer agreement with Albion Laboratories, who supplied zinc glycinate, but this was not true when the study was done, nor did Albion fund this study.
Another point for zinc glycinate.

- Copper (3 - 5 mg per day seems safe and restores cytochrome C oxidase activity) [copper gluconate does not seem to be well absorbed]

I still need to research selenium, as there are ill effects associated with its supplementation.

1) Is magnesium carbonate equivalent to magnesium bicarbonate as a high quality source of magnesium?

2) Is zinc and copper supplementation of 50 and 5 mg per day, respectively, sustainable?

3) Are zinc and copper gluconate the most bioavailable forms of these minerals?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Last edited by a moderator:

YuraCZ

DaveFoster said:
post 119660
TheHound said:
It seems that both zinc and copper gluconate are less than ideal sources.

Zinc picolinate seems superior, so I wonder if copper picolinate will be just as easily absorbed.
I believe that copper from supplements is dangerous. Btw nobody needs supplement with copper. It's not like another micronutrients(for example B vitamins), where can be beneficial take larger doses. For example it's impossible take just from food 5000mcg of biotin or 1000mg of B1,B3,B5 etc. and still these doses can be benefitial. But why you need copper supplements, when you have around 29 mg of copper in 100g of beef liver? Its in the best organic form and still. It's crazy amount.. People don't need much copper. Everybody can get enough from diet 2-4mg is plenty. Bigger copper intake does not mean more bioavailable copper in the bloodstream bound in ceruloplasmin. Especially with non organic copper.. :roll:

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

YuraCZ said:
I believe that copper from supplements is dangerous. Btw nobody needs supplement with copper. It's not like another micronutrients(for example B vitamins), where can be beneficial take larger doses. For example it's impossible take just from food 5000mcg of biotin or 1000mg of B1,B3,B5 etc. and still these doses can be benefitial. But why you need copper supplements, when you have around 29 mg of copper in 100g of beef liver? Its in the best organic form and still. It's crazy amount.. People don't need much copper. Everybody can get enough from diet 2-4mg is plenty. Bigger copper intake does not mean more bioavailable copper in the bloodstream bound in ceruloplasmin. Especially with non organic copper.. :roll:
I would be adding the copper into a milk mixture, along with calcium, magnesium, and zinc of course, so this might mitigate the effect. Still, liver is a better option I suppose. Zinc doesn't seem to have this kind of problem with increased mortality, though.

YuraCZ

DaveFoster said:
post 119697
YuraCZ said:
I would be adding the copper into a milk mixture, along with calcium, magnesium, and zinc of course, so this might mitigate the effect. Still, liver is a better option I suppose. Zinc doesn't seem to have this kind of problem with increased mortality, though.
You don't need extra zinc from supplements. If you don't consume excess amounts of copper. What you need is good ratio in the diet.. If you consume Peat friendly foods on a daily basis(chocolate, shellfish, beef liver, gelatin etc..) then you will consume excess amounts of copper = depletion of copper antagonists such as vitC, zinc, chromium, sulfur, molybdenum, hesperidin, rutin.. High copper = high estrogen and it's not good..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals