NMDA Excitotoxicity, Vitamin D, Magnesium And Copper

Kingpinguin

Got interested in neruonal cell death through NMDA activation. I think most people know magnesium is needed to block, calm down NMDA over activation. N-methyl D-aspartic acid itself is a neurotoxin. Reason why I became interested is because of people having so much problem with high dose vitamin D. The fact that vitamin D depletes magnesium and that vitamin D also is an NMDA agonist makes me believe that this agonism it has is the reason why over-supplementation or vitamin D tends to give people insomnia, anxiety and panic attacks. High enough doses has been shown to induce seizures and coma in some cases. And there’s many reports that magnesium helps counter vitamin D toxicity symptoms. Makes sense since magnesium is an NMDA antagonist. And its likely that vit Ds toxic effects is from NMDA agonism and that vitamin D in high enough doses or just having too high calcium could cause neuronal cell death through NMDA-receptor What did suprise me tho is that another mineral copper is needed to desensetize and sensetize the NMDA receptors from excess currents and excitability. This goes to show the importance of copper and another way its beneficial for neurological disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3382327/

- ”Given the ability of copper to potently modulate NMDA receptor kinetics and limit agonist-induced inward current and therefore Ca2+ loads (see above), it is plausible that ambient copper in culture media and brain extracellular space functions to limit NMDA receptor-dependent excitotoxicity. In line with this prediction, treatment of cultured neurons with copper chelators causes cell death that can be prevented by the NMDA receptor antagonist 5,7-dichlorokynurenic acid or by supplying excess copper (You et al. 2012).”

- ”We would therefore argue that copper ions might have to be supplied exogenously to maintain consistent concentrations, similar to what is done routinely with magnesium.”

- ”It should be noted that copper ions not only modulate NMDA receptors, but also a variety of other types of ion channels. For example, AMPA receptors in rat cortical neurons are blocked with IC50 values of around 5 μm, and at saturating levels of copper (i.e. 30 μm) agonist affinity for these receptors is reduced (Weiser & Wienrich, 1996). Copper ions also block T-type calcium channels and high voltage activated calcium channels with affinities ranging from ∼1 to 30 μm depending on calcium channel subtype (Jeong et al. 2003; Lu et al.2009), and they modulate ENaC channels in the submicromolar range (Lu et al. 2009).”

at wiki under NMDA receptor antagonist I also found this study about copper.

[PDF] Zinc and copper influence excitability of rat olfactory bulb neurons by multiple mechanisms. | Semantic Scholar

- ”However, in contrast to the similarity of their effects on inhibitory transmission, spontaneous glutamate-mediated excitatory synaptic activity was completely blocked by copper but only inhibited by zinc.”

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Highserotonin90 NMDA / Schizophrenia Mental Issues 48
ImprovingDaily Alternative To Caffeine? Dopamine Agonist Without GABA Antagonism/NMDA Agonism? Metabolism 51
B Niacinamide Enhances Creatine Neuroprotectiveness Against NMDA Agonist Toxicity Scientific Studies 4
H Glycine Transporter-1 Inhibition Promotes Striatal Axon Sprouting Via NMDA Receptors In Dopamine Neu Scientific Studies 0
postman What's Required For Proper Calcium Regulation? Excitotoxicity Ask For Help or Advice 30
G How many of you have gotten Vitamin D injections? D 10
Mito Vitamin D Supplementation Ameliorates Metabolic Dysfunction in Patients with PCOS D 0
Incen Does liver from grain-fed animals contain vitamin A? Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 2
C Vitamin D lamp? D 17
M Vitamin D3 makes me feel cold D 11
Lokzo Vitamin B6 Increases Serotonin, Regardless of Serotonin Levels - PUBMED Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
P Vitamin B12 Facilitates the Retroconversion of Estrogens into Androgens by Bacteria Scientific Studies 2
R Is vitamin K2 required when taking Vitamin D? Vitamins 16
Charger Blunted Emotions from Vitamin K2? K 8
bzmazu Hey Drinkers....The case for Vitamin-Enriched Alcohol Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs 3
Mito The efficacy of vitamin E in reducing non-alcoholic fatty liver disease E 0
ecstatichamster how do you oxidize vitamin C safely? C 8
Mito The Inhibitory Roles of Vitamin K in Progression of Vascular Calcification K 0
haidut Fasting ups estrogen & cortisol, decimates vitamin D, may cause diabetes Scientific Studies 6
haidut Vitamin D prevents cortisol-induced depression and...inflammation Scientific Studies 0
haidut Vitamin D is anti-catabolic / anabolic, protects liver from cortisol injury Scientific Studies 2
metabolizm Vitamin D Supplementation is Improving my Sleep D 23
Lokzo This B-Vitamin Can Raise Dopamine (Thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide - TTFD) Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 55
A Cheap Vitamin C products, any contamination risk? Ask For Help or Advice 8
J Interesting study claims Vitamin K2 should be classified as a hormone Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
Lokzo The Ameliorating Effects Of Vitamin E On Hepatotoxicity Of Ecstasy Scientific Studies 0
M I’m Not Convinced Vitamin D Should Be Supplemented D 150
Mito 7-fold Higher COVID-19 Mortality In Vitamin D Deficient Subjects D 2
ursidae How To Make Vitamin D Work? Ask For Help or Advice 52
A Pufa Detox - Vitamin E Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 6
ddjd Is Vitamin A (retinol Palmitate/acetate) Dangerous During Pregnency? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Mito Vitamin D Supplementation During Winter: Effects On Stress Resilience D 10
C Mega Dos Vitamin B1 With? Vitamins 0
Spartan300 Vitamin E Libido Killer? Vitamins 40
J Had Extreme Reaction To Milk And Vitamin D. Maybe Milk Alkali Syndrome? Milk 26
AnaU Topical Vitamin E -> Rash? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
M Vitamin K For Newborns Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 13
Gadreel Dhea With Vitamin E Vs Dhea With Dim Ask For Help or Advice 0
D Vitamin A For Sale; UK/Europe Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Pina Telmisartan/ARBs Vitamin D Receptors Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 0
ddjd Why You Shouldn't Supplement Vitamin D Ask For Help or Advice 90
A Do Vitamin C Expire? Ask For Help or Advice 1
B Breakthrough: Vitamin E Causes Hair Loss Health 33
J Toilet Bowl Urine - Hydration Theory - Absolute BS! Vitamin D Deficiency - Kidney Disease? Health 8
haidut Alcohol Brain Damage Due To Iron Accumulation; Vitamin B1 To The Rescue Scientific Studies 3
S Does Vitamin C Increase Progesterone? Vitamins 12
Tristan Loscha Chris Masterjohn Position On Vitamin D For COVID - 19; VD Reduces Risks Efficiently Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 34
M Vitamin D For Covid-19 Scientific Studies 1
michael94 Vitamin D2 Mushrooms In The United States Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 7
charlie Thiamine (Vitamin B1) And Fatigue In Inflammatory Bowel Diseases Scientific Studies 6