Maximise Your Free Testosterone Levels

skycop00

Total T is meaningless. 70% of my total T was unavailable. Have your doctor run an RIA testosterone test for free T. Another name for this test is the analog free T test.

I agree, thyroid and aspirin should be added to the list.

Thanks for the nettle root information.

Sex every day is definitely not recommended. The real secret to increasing T is to NOT EVER release your seed(no masturbating) if your single, and only love your wife when she is ovulating. This means the use of condoms (2) to ensure safety if need be as estrogen contraceptive pills are terrible.
I would not call Total T "Worthless". The data is valuable in assessing the axis performance. SHBG can correlate the BINDING of T. This gives us more information on how we address the axis to FREE UP more T if the production is NORMAL...

Syncopated

How to lower SHBG if that is what was making 70% of my T unavailable?

I should go see my Dr. and get a copy of my Testosterone test.

Syncopated

Nettle root? Stinging nettle? Dried herb? More details please as nettle sounds cheap.

Lyall

Hi all

I've been thinking on all of this and was hoping someone could assist with getting coherence to my thoughts.

Low ffa in the serum leads to superior thyroid signaling correct? Due to less crowding via pufa and transport into the cell.

Would this hold true for androgens as well? What about estrogen? Substances like aspirin and niacinamide achieving this.

Regarding hyperthyroidism, somewhere else on the forum it was posted that it causes elevated androgens and quicker clearance of cortisol. Anecdotally in the real world hyperthyroid people never have increased muscle mass and have a depleted phenotype. Could it also lead to reduced androgen signaling?

Hyperthyroidism also increases SHBG and according to the Peat view this would be good as it would mean great androgen transport to tissues, is the increased transport and delivery in this view not a mechanism to decrease the tissue wasting of hyperthyroidism?

Any thought would be appreciated.

Syncopated

Hi all

I've been thinking on all of this and was hoping someone could assist with getting coherence to my thoughts.

Low ffa in the serum leads to superior thyroid signaling correct? Due to less crowding via pufa and transport into the cell.

Would this hold true for androgens as well? What about estrogen? Substances like aspirin and niacinamide achieving this.

Regarding hyperthyroidism, somewhere else on the forum it was posted that it causes elevated androgens and quicker clearance of cortisol. Anecdotally in the real world hyperthyroid people never have increased muscle mass and have a depleted phenotype. Could it also lead to reduced androgen signaling?

Hyperthyroidism also increases SHBG and according to the Peat view this would be good as it would mean great androgen transport to tissues, is the increased transport and delivery in this view not a mechanism to decrease the tissue wasting of hyperthyroidism?

Any thought would be appreciated.

No, free fatty acids(ffa) is too general. If you keep your PUFA intake low then free fatty acids circulating will not be PUFA. The body chooses to burn PUFA first but the Peat diet is so low in PUFA that they are depleted. I personally fast for days or weeks and have noticed a very quick detoxification of PUFA in my clothing and pillow. Especially the pillow which can smell like rancid paint and it doesn't wash out. I once did a 24 day water fast in 2001 after eating lots of PUFA from Udo's oil. My pillow was completely saturated with PUFA and smelled like a paint can.

I suggest you read the following link concerning your hormone question :

Ray Peat, PhD on Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse, and TSH – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Hyperthyroidism in the real world is very rare. Peat has written much on this misconception and has stated that hyperthyroidism is usually or most always hypothyroidism. The tissue wasting of hypothyroidism is misdiagnosed/mislabelled hyperthyroidism. It is the high cortisol and high adrenaline levels found in hypothyroidism that can deplete tissue stores. No, phenotype(genes) is just another reason given to mistreat hypothyroidism with vain medical protocol's.

Lyall

No, free fatty acids(ffa) is too general. If you keep your PUFA intake low then free fatty acids circulating will not be PUFA. The body chooses to burn PUFA first but the Peat diet is so low in PUFA that they are depleted. I personally fast for days or weeks and have noticed a very quick detoxification of PUFA in my clothing and pillow. Especially the pillow which can smell like rancid paint and it doesn't wash out. I once did a 24 day water fast in 2001 after eating lots of PUFA from Udo's oil. My pillow was completely saturated with PUFA and smelled like a paint can.

I suggest you read the following link concerning your hormone question :

Ray Peat, PhD on Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse, and TSH – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Hyperthyroidism in the real world is very rare. Peat has written much on this misconception and has stated that hyperthyroidism is usually or most always hypothyroidism. The tissue wasting of hypothyroidism is misdiagnosed/mislabelled hyperthyroidism. It is the high cortisol and high adrenaline levels found in hypothyroidism that can deplete tissue stores. No, phenotype(genes) is just another reason given to mistreat hypothyroidism with vain medical protocol's.

Thank you for the link, some great information and food for thought.

Regarding FFA I meant to say unsaturated FFA, although I imagine saturated will still suppress thyroid transport albeit to a lesser extent. Would this be correct?

Going back SHBG, earlier Peat says that it deactivates estrogen and is inhibited by pufa, implying that the estrogen moves in an unbound state into the cells, free estrogen? If ffa are low then it can remove estrogen more effectively. Now does it have a different role with androgens or is performing the same function removing it, tangentially where? To the liver?

skycop00

Which Nettle did you use? Do you have any blood labs proving it worked for lowering SHBG? Thanks!
I get mine from an herbalist, but there are excellent products on the market. Many prostate formulas have it, but I don't use the other ingredients like palmetto. And yes I do routine bloodwork. More than most for sure.

I think the free T vs. bound up T is a complete myth. And men's T doesn't decline much with age. It declines as a man gets sicker and sicker.

skycop00

I think the free T vs. bound up T is a complete myth. And men's T doesn't decline much with age. It declines as a man gets sicker and sicker.
I certainly understand that comment. My personal experience is that when I lower shbg I feel best. I don't shoot for T numbers per se, but controlling E2 and a T in the 800-900 range allows me to feel optimal. I don't ever want to return to the range my body was at when I was 38 and working shift work which was about 280 ng/dl with estrogen twice the hugh range. That is a terrible place to be. Depression , bodyfat etc were getting worse even though my workouts were on spot and I had no reason to be depressed as life was great. Once I started doing research and running labs, I started to self treat and lower E2 with calcium D Glucarate. With 4 days of.starting that proocol, it was a night aND day difference. Fog lifted, depression was nearly gone and was starting to feel like the old me. I realized my detox and liver pathways were screwed, I needed more sunlight and need to get off shiftwork. Fast forward to age 53.8 and I would never want to go back to the levels I would normally produce at this age. I can keep up with men half my age in the ice and.in the weight room. So on TRT I will stay. As I have posted here a few times, I run urine labs for detox paths justbto.make sure the liver is fine about twice a year
Serum labs 4x a year as well. Just my personal experience

skycop00

I would also like to add to keep an eye out for dhea dropping. That cascade of lower dhea is a key factor to identify a problem is brewing.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Thank you very much,these info all together is good reference.

Also I never knew ray's opinion on SHBG , thanks Such-Saturation!
High SHBG has protective effects, and low SHBG appears in male pattern baldness.