Drinking Pepsi/Coke freely is androgenic for males, enlarges testicles, ups testosterone

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think the sales of Coke/Pepsi are about to go through the roof. The study sounds like it was sponsored by one/both of the soda makers, but it was not, and in fact is corroborated by prior studies on (human) male fertility and sugar consumption that I posted about in the past. The study below had the animals consume freely (no restrictions/dosing whatsoever) either Pepsi or Coke, and the groups were further separated into drinking diluted soda (1:1 with tap water) or undiluted soda (100% Pepsi/Coke). The experiment lasted for only 15 days and the findings are unequivocal. Namely, only the groups drinking undiluted sodas had an increase in total testosterone (T) levels, as well as testicle size/volume. In fact, by end of the 15-day experiment, T levels almost doubled in the groups drinking undiluted soda. In addition, only the groups drinking undiluted sodas had an increase in AR expression levels in the testicles, and the increase was in the 60%-78% range. The study tries to explain the findings away with the caffeine contents of the sodas, however both sodas have a relatively low concentration of caffeine (~100mg/L), which translated into animal (mice) doses of about 15mg/kg b.w. and the human-equivalent dose of that is ~1mg/kg daily. Daily human doses of 80mg-100mg caffeine have been studied many times in males and have never been shown to cause such a large increase in testicle size, T levels, or AR expression. Thus, the only plausible explanation for the study findings is the sugar content of the sodas, which is corroborated by the improved male fertility from eating a lot of sugar, seen in the study I linked to above. Now I wonder if the epidemic of (male) infertility we are seeing lately is not to a large degree driven by the ridiculous recommendations from FDA/USDA to limit sugar consumption as much as possible... On the flip side, I bet it won't be long before we start seeing Coke/Pepsi ads showing 10+ member families with the patriarch winking at the camera and saying "I drink Coke/Pepsi. How 'bout you?" :):

CARBONATED BEVERAGES AFFECT LEVELS OF ANDROGEN RECEPTOR AND TESTOSTERONE SECRETION IN MICE - PubMed
"...The testes weights of PEP-2, COC-1 and COC-2 were significantly increased on day 15 (P<0.05) as compared to PEP-1 and CG (Table 1). The outcomes demonstrated a high dose of Pepsi-Cola or Coca-Cola could promote testis growth and development."

"...As shown in Figure 1A, the concentrations of serum testosterone in all mice were enhanced after the Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola treatment. Serum testosterone concentration of PEP-2 was higher than that of other four groups. On days 10 and 15, there were significant differences between PEP-2 and CG. Serum testosterone concentration of COC-2 was also higher than that of CG (P<0.05). The outcomes indicated that high doses of Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola could improve testosterone secretion of male mice."

"...Expression levels of AR mRNAs in mouse testes were detected using qRT-PCR so as to assess the FRBI influences on s of AR mRNAs. As shown in Figure 2, expressions of AR mRNAs in four treatment groups were increased. On day 15, increments of COC-1, COC-2, PEP-1 and PEP-2 mice were 60.18%, 67.26%, 65.93% and 78.76% (P<0.05) on the bases of the CG level. Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola could enhance expressions of AR mRNAs in the testes of mice."

Men who drink Coca-Cola or Pepsi have larger testicles, study suggests
"...The country's most popular sodas might refresh the parts other drinks can't reach - by giving men bigger testicles and making them more masculine, a study suggests. Research on mice showed adult males who drank Coca-Cola or Pepsi had higher testosterone levels and larger genitals than their peers...'The outcomes demonstrated a high dose of Pepsi-Cola or Coca-Cola could promote testis growth and development,' the study said. Testosterone levels were also recorded, and concentrations were found to be enhanced at the end of the study. On days 10 and 15, the group which drank pure Pepsi had significantly higher concentrations of testosterone than the control group. After 15 days, the control group's testosterone concentration was around 23 nanomoles (nmol) per liter, whereas the groups which drank pure Coca-Cola and Pepsi had a concentration that was roughly 30 nmol/L. The mice who were allocated the pure Coca-Cola also had higher levels of the male hormone than the control group. The results suggest that large doses of Pepsi and Coca-Cola could improve testosterone production in male mice."

HumanLife

I can believe that sugar can have positive effects on testosterone, and coke is the favorite drink of builders based on how many bottles I have seen laying around on every construction site, but my personal issue with it is that whenever I take it more frequently for a long period of time I get both bloated with the carbs and gain weight. I prefer feeling more energetic and getting my calories from eating more food than rely on coke. I do sometimes add a bit to it to my collagen and creatine mix for flavor though.

S.Holmes

My husband's grandparents who lived well into their 80's used to say "Even sugar ON sugar" is good. And they never needed dentures.. My how times have changed.

Coke, the magical blend of sugar, caffeine, and CO2. And Mexico doesn't fluoridate their water the last time I checked. (I won't drink it if it's bottled in the US.) No wonder it's a favorite Peat beverage!

Last edited:

Regina

I think the sales of Coke/Pepsi are about to go through the roof. The study sounds like it was sponsored by one/both of the soda makers, but it was not, and in fact is corroborated by prior studies on (human) male fertility and sugar consumption that I posted about in the past. The study below had the animals consume freely (no restrictions/dosing whatsoever) either Pepsi or Coke, and the groups were further separated into drinking diluted soda (1:1 with tap water) or undiluted soda (100% Pepsi/Coke). The experiment lasted for only 15 days and the findings are unequivocal. Namely, only the groups drinking undiluted sodas had an increase in total testosterone (T) levels, as well as testicle size/volume. In fact, by end of the 15-day experiment, T levels almost doubled in the groups drinking undiluted soda. In addition, only the groups drinking undiluted sodas had an increase in AR expression levels in the testicles, and the increase was in the 60%-78% range. The study tries to explain the findings away with the caffeine contents of the sodas, however both sodas have a relatively low concentration of caffeine (~100mg/L), which translated into animal (mice) doses of about 15mg/kg b.w. and the human-equivalent dose of that is ~1mg/kg daily. Daily human doses of 80mg-100mg caffeine have been studied many times in males and have never been shown to cause such a large increase in testicle size, T levels, or AR expression. Thus, the only plausible explanation for the study findings is the sugar content of the sodas, which is corroborated by the improved male fertility from eating a lot of sugar, seen in the study I linked to above. Now I wonder if the epidemic of (male) infertility we are seeing lately is not to a large degree driven by the ridiculous recommendations from FDA/USDA to limit sugar consumption as much as possible... On the flip side, I bet it won't be long before we start seeing Coke/Pepsi ads showing 10+ member families with the patriarch winking at the camera and saying "I drink Coke/Pepsi. How 'bout you?" :):

CARBONATED BEVERAGES AFFECT LEVELS OF ANDROGEN RECEPTOR AND TESTOSTERONE SECRETION IN MICE - PubMed
"...The testes weights of PEP-2, COC-1 and COC-2 were significantly increased on day 15 (P<0.05) as compared to PEP-1 and CG (Table 1). The outcomes demonstrated a high dose of Pepsi-Cola or Coca-Cola could promote testis growth and development."

"...As shown in Figure 1A, the concentrations of serum testosterone in all mice were enhanced after the Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola treatment. Serum testosterone concentration of PEP-2 was higher than that of other four groups. On days 10 and 15, there were significant differences between PEP-2 and CG. Serum testosterone concentration of COC-2 was also higher than that of CG (P<0.05). The outcomes indicated that high doses of Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola could improve testosterone secretion of male mice."

"...Expression levels of AR mRNAs in mouse testes were detected using qRT-PCR so as to assess the FRBI influences on s of AR mRNAs. As shown in Figure 2, expressions of AR mRNAs in four treatment groups were increased. On day 15, increments of COC-1, COC-2, PEP-1 and PEP-2 mice were 60.18%, 67.26%, 65.93% and 78.76% (P<0.05) on the bases of the CG level. Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola could enhance expressions of AR mRNAs in the testes of mice."

"...The country's most popular sodas might refresh the parts other drinks can't reach - by giving men bigger testicles and making them more masculine, a study suggests. Research on mice showed adult males who drank Coca-Cola or Pepsi had higher testosterone levels and larger genitals than their peers...'The outcomes demonstrated a high dose of Pepsi-Cola or Coca-Cola could promote testis growth and development,' the study said. Testosterone levels were also recorded, and concentrations were found to be enhanced at the end of the study. On days 10 and 15, the group which drank pure Pepsi had significantly higher concentrations of testosterone than the control group. After 15 days, the control group's testosterone concentration was around 23 nanomoles (nmol) per liter, whereas the groups which drank pure Coca-Cola and Pepsi had a concentration that was roughly 30 nmol/L. The mice who were allocated the pure Coca-Cola also had higher levels of the male hormone than the control group. The results suggest that large doses of Pepsi and Coca-Cola could improve testosterone production in male mice."
:muscle:

Audacity17

Do you think this is due to the cortisol lowering effects of glucose, or does having fructose raise cholesterol, which is upstream from testosterone? Or something else? I stopped drinking diet sodas last fall. I felt better, warmer, more alive....but I kept gaining weight. A month or so ago, I decided to have breakfast every morning(which I normally skip) and see what happened. I had cereal every morning with whole milk and honey. The quality of my ejaculations improved markedly. Could be just having breakfast. Could be the vitamin A in the milk. Could be the fructose and boron in the honey.
Whatever it is, feels good.

Vinero

I truly believe this because I have experienced the radical difference sugar makes. Sugar is essential for fertility. I completely lost my libido a half year ago, when I was eating a zero-sugar diet. I was getting all my carbohydrates from white rice, pasta and bread. Since adding honey, fruit juice, and coke I feel so much better on many levels and I feel fertile again.

Vesi

Rodents create vitamin C from glucose, could that explain this effect in part?

FitnessMike

I do not drink it because i don't trust the water they are using, dirty tap water

boris

Wonderful find.

Warning about Pepsi if you are in Germany though. About 2 years ago they changed their recipe for the standard Pepsi without any warning, it now additionally contains 2 artificial sweeteners. Don't know if this happened in other countries.

Always check the labels from time to time.

IVILA

Do you think it may/can boost dht as well? Sometimes if testosterone is boosted it may mean that either 5ar is inhibited or aromatase. Or it just might mean that testosterone output is increased. What do you think about cokes effects? @haidut

Personally I prefer RC Cola, a bit hard to find though. I wonder if that will still spike my testosterone.

dukesbobby777

Interesting finding but doesn't mean it's healthy to do it long term, unless you are adding a crap load of vitamin/mineral cofactors that support the push in metabolism. I can imagine just adding unrestricted amount of coca cola to a standard western diet would eventually deplete nutritional stores over time, causing the person to crash and burn.

I see granulated sugar as more of a supplement really.

Jessie

Wonder if there's more to this than just the sugar? I remember Danny pulling up a study on one of his videos showing cola extracts have anti-inflammatory properties to them.

tastyfood

Wonder if there's more to this than just the sugar? I remember Danny pulling up a study on one of his videos showing cola extracts have anti-inflammatory properties to them.

yes, the coca leaf right? I think Peat had some good comments about it?

Abba

Sweetened by High Fructose Corn Syrup or Cane Sugar / Beet Sugar?

This study didn’t say [in its article] & probably doesn’t get its drinks from Mexico.

The article referenced by @haidut : “corroborated by prior studies on (human) male fertility and sugar consumption that I posted about in the past.” at least used 20 year old human males [in perfect health] but also didn’t note the actual sweetener [and Sweden is a long way from Mexico].

As I am not a mouse nor 20 years old, it is not clear if I can equate myself as I am a human over 50 years of age.

Perhaps HFCS and/or phosphoric acid is beneficial or neutral for short periods of time – esp. if taken with caffeine.

Perhaps drinking coffee is just as good, or better, or worse.

Perhaps it is the short period of time that is beneficial with the curve forming in the opposite direction after a few weeks.

Food Science is a really a Dark Jungle.

Time to brew a coffee [or would swallowing a caffeine pill be just as beneficial :):]

Jonk

Wonderful find.

Warning about Pepsi if you are in Germany though. About 2 years ago they changed their recipe for the standard Pepsi without any warning, it now additionally contains 2 artificial sweeteners. Don't know if this happened in other countries.

Always check the labels from time to time.
Same in Sweden
Edit: If I think about it, might have been sugar + one artificial sweetener. But still

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals