Magnesium Deficiency Increases Insulin Resistance

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by Wagner83, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

Magnesium Deficiency Increases Insulin Resistance - Life Extension

An other point for magnesium I guess.

2. schultz

schultz Member

A friend reminded me of this quote by Ray from one of the podcasts:

"And several years ago, a group at the Linus Pauling institute wrote a review on the importance of avoiding fructose (I think it was their point). But, they cited the study in which, where I think 10 or 11 men were put on a diet emphasizing sugar; I think they used decaffeinated coke with HFCS as the main carbohydrate; every meal had a cola drink. And for some reason, they, knowing a human requires 400mg of magnesium every day, they put these men on 165mg. And they were wanting to prove a fructose diet would cause derangement of the mineral metabolism. And in fact, it did, but in a very surprising way. On a magnesium deficient diet, these men went into a positive magnesium balance, meaning that some part of their body was retaining a little extra bit of magnesium every day, like they were growing. And also, it retained a little extra calcium, like they were growing. But the derangement caused by the phosphate was a slight loss of phosphate everyday; it went into a negative phosphate balance. And to do that, you can account for increasing calcium and magnesium while losing phosphate. I think only if they were turning over their bones… and, young bone is formed from carbon dioxide and calcium, calcium carbonate, as the first bone. Which is then replaced with phosphate during aging. So, they were losing phosphate while gaining magnesium and calcium; I think that meant they were building new bone."

A positive for fructose or sucrose in regards to magnesium and mineral balance. I always forget about these things, but that would be one thing good about sucrose/fructose over starch. Fructose lowers phosphorus as well.

3. paymanz

paymanz Member

Nice find,thanks!

Good remind for fructose too!