Magnesium Deficiency Increases Insulin Resistance

Wagner83

Magnesium Deficiency Increases Insulin Resistance - Life Extension

Scientists have discovered very specific details of magnesium’s relationship to diabetes. Their research has revealed that insulin receptors depend on magnesium to function properly and respond to insulin. In addition, they have discovered that high levels of insulin also cause an increase in the amount of urinary magnesium excreted from the kidneys, thereby reducing the body’s levels of this important mineral.24

A 2015 study published in the journal Diabetes Metabolism evaluated the efficacy of a daily dose of 382 mg of magnesium on 116 individuals aged 30 to 65 with prediabetes and low magnesium, taken for a period of four months.25

At the end of the trial, significant changes compared to placebo were seen. The researchers found an 11.6% reduction in fasting glucose, a 8.8% decrease in post-meal glucose, a 30.5% decrease in insulin resistance scores, and a 26.7% decrease in triglycerides. This led authors to conclude that:

The British Journal of Cancer published a revealing study evaluating magnesium’s role in pancreatic cancer. The researchers followed over 66,000 men and women aged 50 to 76 over a course of eight years. During that time, 151 participants developed pancreatic cancer.29

The results of the study revealed that for every 100 mg drop per day in magnesium consumption, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer increased by 24%.

In addition, the researchers calculated the risks of developing pancreatic cancer for those whose intake of magnesium were suboptimal according to the government’s recommended daily allowance (420 mg a day for males and 320 mg a day for females).

If intake of magnesium was suboptimal, which is determined as 75%-99% of the government’s recommended daily allowance (RDA), then the risk of developing pancreatic cancer was 42% higher compared to intake that was equal to or greater than the RDA. For those who had an intake of less than 75% of the government’s RDA there was a 76% higher risk of developing pancreatic cancer compared to intake that is equal to or greater than the optimal intake.
An other point for magnesium I guess.

schultz

A friend reminded me of this quote by Ray from one of the podcasts:

"And several years ago, a group at the Linus Pauling institute wrote a review on the importance of avoiding fructose (I think it was their point). But, they cited the study in which, where I think 10 or 11 men were put on a diet emphasizing sugar; I think they used decaffeinated coke with HFCS as the main carbohydrate; every meal had a cola drink. And for some reason, they, knowing a human requires 400mg of magnesium every day, they put these men on 165mg. And they were wanting to prove a fructose diet would cause derangement of the mineral metabolism. And in fact, it did, but in a very surprising way. On a magnesium deficient diet, these men went into a positive magnesium balance, meaning that some part of their body was retaining a little extra bit of magnesium every day, like they were growing. And also, it retained a little extra calcium, like they were growing. But the derangement caused by the phosphate was a slight loss of phosphate everyday; it went into a negative phosphate balance. And to do that, you can account for increasing calcium and magnesium while losing phosphate. I think only if they were turning over their bones… and, young bone is formed from carbon dioxide and calcium, calcium carbonate, as the first bone. Which is then replaced with phosphate during aging. So, they were losing phosphate while gaining magnesium and calcium; I think that meant they were building new bone."

A positive for fructose or sucrose in regards to magnesium and mineral balance. I always forget about these things, but that would be one thing good about sucrose/fructose over starch. Fructose lowers phosphorus as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals