haidut

Forum Supporter
Most endocrinologists view DHT as an almost exclusively bad hormone. Aside from the its much publicized (and likely incorrect) role in prostate cancer and MPB, endocrinologists consider DHT as a causative agent in insulin resistance and even diabetes type II. Most of that misguided opinion probably stems from the fact that DHT is thought (again incorrectly) to cause the symptoms of PCOS and hirsutism, and almost all people with these conditions have some degree of insulin resistance or even diabetes.
This new study vindicates DHT to a degree and it finds that DHT was the only steroid found to have strong positive correlation with reduced risk of developing diabetes.

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology...-dihydrotestosterone-may-reduce-diabetes-risk

"...“Among testosterone, [sex-hormone binding globulin] and dihydrotestosterone, we found that [dihydrotestosterone] was most consistently associated with a lower level of insulin resistance and lower risk of incident diabetes in older men,” Kenneth J. Mukamal, MD, MPH, of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, told Endocrine Today. Mukamal and colleagues evaluated data from the Cardiovascular Health Study on 852 men free of diabetes and cardiovascular disease in 1994 to determine the relationships between sex hormones, insulin resistance and incident diabetes. Homeostasis model of assessment for insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) was used to estimate insulin resistance, and the Gutt index was used to estimate insulin sensitivity. Follow-up was conducted for a mean of 9.8 years. After adjustment for demographics, alcohol consumption, smoking status and BMI, SHBG and dihydrotestosterone were inversely associated with HOMA-IR (P = .01 for both). Better insulin sensitivity, initially (P = .01) and with mutual adjustment (P = .05), was related to SHBG. Better insulin sensitivity initially (P = .12) was related to dihydrotestosterone and was attenuated by 60% with mutual adjustment (P = .69), according to the researchers."

CoolTweetPete

The improvement in mood and cognition supplemental DHT seems to provide versus the depression and lack of motivation Finasteride users have reported is a dead giveaway that DHT plays an important role in human physiology.

Agent207

Yeah I can just imagine how far a mans mood improves as his hairline goes receding... damm it, I would rather have my toe nails pulled out in slow motion

schultz

Yeah I can just imagine how far a mans mood improves as his hairline goes receding... damm it, I would rather have my toe nails pulled out in slow motion

Really? Maybe I don't understand because I've never had hair loss, but it never seemed like a big deal to me.

Gl;itch.e

Stop being so emotional about hairloss guys. Your state suggests "female" hormones like estrogen are to blame. Not DHT.

CoolTweetPete

Stop being so emotional about hairloss guys. Your state suggests "female" hormones like estrogen are to blame. Not DHT.

+1

I used to be very conscious and neurotic about my hair loss when it was at its worst. Seeing clumps of hair in ones hand when showering can be rather jarring.

Seems like as soon as I started to get better and the shedding waned, my neuroses also died down.

TubZy

Excellent post- When I was on fin my metabolism was ***t and would get bloated easily, digest was ***t etc..

When my DHT is high my body is like a furnace and burns any food while still staying lean.

Dante

Most endocrinologists view DHT as an almost exclusively bad hormone. Aside from the its much publicized (and likely incorrect) role in prostate cancer and MPB, endocrinologists consider DHT as a causative agent in insulin resistance and even diabetes type II. Most of that misguided opinion probably stems from the fact that DHT is thought (again incorrectly) to cause the symptoms of PCOS and hirsutism, and almost all people with these conditions have some degree of insulin resistance or even diabetes.
This new study vindicates DHT to a degree and it finds that DHT was the only steroid found to have strong positive correlation with reduced risk of developing diabetes.

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/in-the-journals/{ef6d54b9-1cf1-42ae-8378-ae4903f3e3ba}/high-levels-of-dihydrotestosterone-may-reduce-diabetes-risk

"...“Among testosterone, [sex-hormone binding globulin] and dihydrotestosterone, we found that [dihydrotestosterone] was most consistently associated with a lower level of insulin resistance and lower risk of incident diabetes in older men,” Kenneth J. Mukamal, MD, MPH, of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, told Endocrine Today. Mukamal and colleagues evaluated data from the Cardiovascular Health Study on 852 men free of diabetes and cardiovascular disease in 1994 to determine the relationships between sex hormones, insulin resistance and incident diabetes. Homeostasis model of assessment for insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) was used to estimate insulin resistance, and the Gutt index was used to estimate insulin sensitivity. Follow-up was conducted for a mean of 9.8 years. After adjustment for demographics, alcohol consumption, smoking status and BMI, SHBG and dihydrotestosterone were inversely associated with HOMA-IR (P = .01 for both). Better insulin sensitivity, initially (P = .01) and with mutual adjustment (P = .05), was related to SHBG. Better insulin sensitivity initially (P = .12) was related to dihydrotestosterone and was attenuated by 60% with mutual adjustment (P = .69), according to the researchers."
A doubt regarding PCOS and hirutism. I thought there were studies that showed increased androgen in women with PCOS.

johnwester130

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/in-the-journals/{ef6d54b9-1cf1-42ae-8378-ae4903f3e3ba}/high-levels-of-dihydrotestosterone-may-reduce-diabetes-risk

Prostate Cancer

" and the saw palmetto remedy for prostate enlargement has been reported to contain pregnenolone, or something similar to it."

What substance ? beta sitosterol ?? this is very high in saw palmetto and causes the benficial effects