Oral Progesterone Increases Testosterone And DHT

J

jb116

Yeah, but can't one argue that a lot of things aren't really needed ? Lol, I think the T boosting community is a separate niche. Actually the RDA is only 2mg, so that's likely being met via diet, and yeah, no need to supplement. One could say D-AA isn't needed, or DHEA if it isn't low, etc.
Well, it's really about context and most importantly relative to the meaning of "need."
If we look at our usual suspects, ADEK, B1,B2,B3,etc,potassium, calcium,magnesium..these things are absolutely needed, regardless of context. Their amounts however depend on context. Boron however as a trace mineral is covered mostly by eating the usual "Peaty" foods and so in context "need" here denotes supplementation and or purposely seeking out high doses. Certainly we can do that with the other substances but regardless of context (other than something severely pathological) Peat is saying we don't need it [in the sense that we need to actively seek it out and/or take it in high doses].

meatbag

Production of testosterone from progesterone by rat testicular microsomes without release of the intermediates 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone and androstenedione.
~Production of testosterone from progesterone by rat testicular microsomes without release of the intermediates 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone and and... - PubMed - NCBI

"It has been shown that during the in vitro conversion of progesterone to androstenedione, 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone is not an obligatory intermediate which equilibrates with freely diffusible steroids in the incubation medium. Recently a cytochrome P-450 was purified that catalyzed, in addition to hydroxylase/lyase activities, reduction of androstenedione to testosterone. In order to determine whether progesterone could be transformed to testosterone without both intermediates (17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone and androstenedione) being equilibrated with steroids in the medium, several double-label double-substrate experiments were performed. When rat microsomes were incubated with an equimolar mixture of [14C]progesterone and 17 alpha-hydroxy[3H]progesterone, androstenedione was isolated with a 11-fold higher 14C/3H ratio than 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone, indicating that androstenedione could not be produced from free, diffusible 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone. Incubation of an equimolar mixture of 17 alpha-hydroxy[3H]progesterone and [14C]androstenedione with testicular microsomes resulted in the incorporation of 3-4-fold more 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone into testosterone than of androstenedione, although the latter is the immediate precursor of testosterone. In an experiment in which equimolar concentrations of [3H]progesterone and [14C]androstenedione were incubated with testicular microsomes, the large pool of progesterone inhibited competitively lyase activity, but still the label of progesterone was incorporated into testosterone to the same extent as that of androstenedione. These results indicate that testosterone can be produced by immature rat testicular microsomes from added progesterone on an organized unit without the intermediates equilibrating with the incubation medium."

sorry if this ones been posted before, i searched but didn't see it

Last edited:

ddjd

I thought I read somewhere that Progesterone will inhibit 5ar enzyme...

Texon

This rodent study shows that a hefty oral dose of progesterone stimulated synthesis of and elevated the levels of both testosterone and DHT. It seems that if progesterone has any negative effects on male steroids it requires dosages higher than the ones used in the study. Speaking of dosages, the human equivalent dose was 5.7mg/kg, so this means a range of 450mg - 600mg for most people.
Also, progesterone administration did not change LH / FSH, which means progesterone administration did not suppress endogenus production of these steroids through negative feedback loops.

Progesterone Stimulates Testosterone Secretion in Male Rats

"...At 6–8 h after administration of P, serum T and DHT levels were consistently increased without any alterations in the serum LH and FSH levels. Following disruption of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis either by adrenalectomy or by anterior hypothalamic deafferentation, procedures known to abolish serum T and P periodicities, P was again effective in raising serum T concentrations without altering the serum gonadotropin values. These results show that P may directly enhance testicular secretion, and thus support the possibility that the observed adrenal influence on daily testicular T secretion pattern may be hormonally mediated via P secretion."
I know this is an old thread so I hope you see it..what do you think would be the equivalent topical dose for a human?

scoobydoo

Yeah absolutely, oysters have zinc + copper which are two key nutrients that are typically pretty scarce in foods. Liver and steak is the alternative.

I agree with brian about the cholestrol because I'd used something similar to bulk up in high school. You can eliminate most of the pufa in eggs buy getting the pasture-raised variety, which are sold many places even in target. I recall a classic bodybuilder who wrote a book and claimed "eating 40 fertilized eggs is akin to taking ethyl-testosterone" While Im sure the conversion factor is more complex and dependent upon other numbers and nutrient intake and genetics, I eat about 24 eggs a day at one point and saw great gains. Back then I was worried about having a heart attack so I stopped (my chest really began hurting)
Jeez you really go all in on experiments. Respect. Any other symptoms you recall fro. This?

Cooper

The experiments were single day injections, so yes, there is the possibility that with chronic use T/DHT levels may decline. However, there are chronic studies (8 weeks) with progesterone and it also raised T even though the dose was lower (about 200mg equivalent for a human). I guess it would depend on the dose. Lower doses of progesterone have been shown to convert into allopregnanolone, T and DHT while at the same time inhibiting estrogen. Higher doses of progesterone bind to the androgen receptor, but actually as a weak agonist and not as antagonist (like many people seem to believe). Large doses of progesterone have been shown to increase prostate size in rats comparably to DHT, so again, not exactly anti-androgenic.
This is interesting. I have read that it is more anti androgenic. But there are conflicting studies..

I have post accutane syndrome and my main issue seems to be downregulated androgen receptors on my prostate.

After 7 years i started to take Prog. 50mg subQ injections and i am finally healing. Semen volume increased and other stuff. However i am not sure if this effect of Prog comes due to different effects or its from AR upregulation effect. I know and read that it competes with AR's. My hormone levels are fine.

What do you think? Maybe i should try a stronger anti androgenic drug, the ones they use in prostate cancer? Anyone knows a safe AR antagonist prostate drug? So that my ARs will upregulate and fix itself?

So that my ARs on prostate will upregulate and find its own balance and i will recover fully? (Not Fin, other types)

Biacultamide seems like a good try. Hopefully Prog will work fully out and i don't need to use a prostate cancer drug at 22.
It is an non steroidal AR antagonist and does not reduce androgens in the hormones and doesn't inhibit 5AR. Only has anti- progestenic and E2 increasing effects which i can deal with.
So, in theory it should upregulate AR's in my prostate?

Last edited:

johnwester130

This is interesting. I have read that it is more anti androgenic. But there are conflicting studies..

I have post accutane syndrome and my main issue seems to be downregulated androgen receptors on my prostate.

After 7 years i started to take Prog. 50mg subQ injections and i am finally healing. Semen volume increased and other stuff. However i am not sure if this effect of Prog comes due to different effects or its from AR upregulation effect. I know and read that it competes with AR's. My hormone levels are fine.

What do you think? Maybe i should try a stronger anti androgenic drug, the ones they use in prostate cancer? Anyone knows a safe AR antagonist prostate drug? So that my ARs will upregulate and fix itself?

So that my ARs on prostate will upregulate and find its own balance and i will recover fully? (Not Fin, other types)

thoughts on this?

Cooper

Biacultamide seems like a good try. Hopefully Prog will work fully out and i don't need to use a prostate cancer drug at 22.
It is an non steroidal AR antagonist and does not reduce androgens in the hormones and doesn't inhibit 5AR. Only has anti- progestenic and E2 increasing effects which i can deal with.
So, in theory it should upregulate AR's in my prostate?
@haidut Hey man, can you please help me out when you have time? I replied your multiple threads. What do you think of this message?

johnwester130

The problem with doing this in oil/alcohol progesterone is that such a high amount of the oil affects digestion so you just end up feeling the effects of high vitamin e

I will try this with just progesterone powder, not in vitamin E or anything, just powder.

Matestube

Oral progesterone at around 50mg/day makes me reliably passive the next day.
Not much motivation, not much desire, not much libido.
On the flipside it completely calms my heart rate to go to bed.

golder

Oral progesterone at around 50mg/day makes me reliably passive the next day.
Not much motivation, not much desire, not much libido.
On the flipside it completely calms my heart rate to go to bed.
Perhaps orally at 20mg pre bed might give the right amount of night time sedation without the apathy the following day? Did you find your sweet spot?

Matestube

Perhaps orally at 20mg pre bed might give the right amount of night time sedation without the apathy the following day? Did you find your sweet spot?
I stick to pregnenolone rather than progesterone. It gives me better mood, libido and cognitive abilities overall. 50mg twice a day orally.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals