COVID‐19 pneumonia causes lower testosterone levels - PUBMED 2020

Lokzo

Forum Supporter

COVID‐19 pneumonia causes lower testosterone levels

To evaluate the testicular damage caused by COVID‐19, we prospectively evaluated 44 patients who applied to the COVID‐19 outpatient clinic between March 2020 and July 2020. Patients' ages, COVID‐19 PCR results, presence of pneumonia, total testosterone, luteinising hormone (LH) and follicle‐stimulating hormone (FSH) values were recorded. It was evaluated whether there were significant differences between people who were positive for COVID‐19 and those who were not. Any differences between those who had COVID‐19 pneumonia and those who did not were also recorded. There was no difference between the FSH, LH and testosterone values of the COVID‐19 PCR positive and negative patients (p = 0.80, vp = 0.62, p = 0.56 respectively).

However when LH values were separated as low, normal and high, LH values were statistically significantly higher in the COVID‐19 PCR positive group (p = 0.04). Thoracic computed tomography was performed in 42 patients.

Testosterone levels were significantly lower in patients with COVID‐19 pneumonia (p = 0.01). When FSH, LH and testosterone values were separated as low, normal and high, there was no difference in FSH and LH values (p = 1, p = 0.2). Testosterone levels were found significantly lower in patients with COVID‐19 pneumonia (p < .001). Testosterone levels seem to decrease during acute COVID‐19 infection, especially in the patient group with viral pneumonia.

gaze

how do they know it causes low T instead of low T causing pneumonia?

Perry Staltic

I doubt covid decreases testosterone (T). More likely whatever factor(s) causes low T also causes more severe covid. For example, I think vitamin D deficiency lowers T levels; it is also associated with severe covid.

Does anyone know if elevated serotonin decreases T?

cupofcoffee

How do testosterone levels change during other kinds of pneumonia? one could argue that being sick, especially with a lungs disease, will reduce t levels regardless, or is it a COVID-specific thing? I've read that COVID can attack testicles specifically because of ACE2 receptors but i don't know how much of it is true and how much is just fear mongering.

Giraffe

Pneumonia was associated with lower testosterone levels.

I miss information as to the mean age in the group with pneumonia and in the other group.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals