Oral Vitamin E At 300mg Daily For 8 Weeks Lowered Prolactin From 50.8ng/ml To 15.4 Ng/ml

I had seen this study mentioned a few times while perusing older posts in the forum, but I didn't see it linked directly. I wonder if this could be a very promising and safe route to lower prolactin without the use of bromocriptine/cabergoline/etc.

Int J Artif Organs. 1992 Nov;15(11):648-52.
Effect of vitamin E therapy on sexual functions of uremic patients in hemodialysis.
Yeksan M1, Polat M, Türk S, Kazanci H, Akhan G, Erdogan Y, Erkul I.
Twenty-four uremic patients on hemodialysis who had never been treated with vitamin E or related drugs and 12 control patients with normal renal function were studied. Hemodialysis patients were randomly divided into two groups; 12 were treated with oral vitamin E (300 mg/day) for eight weeks and 12 uremic patients and 12 controls were given placebo. Serum vitamin E, prolactin, FSH, LH, and free testosterone levels were measured in all patients before and after treatment. After the vitamin E treatment serum prolactin levels were significantly decreased (50.8 vs 15.4 ng/ml, p < 0.01). Vitamin E levels were significantly increased (1.11 vs 1.22 mg/dl, p < 0.05). Serum FSH, LH and free testosterone were not affected. In the other two groups there were no significant changes. These results show that vitamin E treatment lowers prolactin levels in uremic hemodialysis patients. This might be due to inhibition of central prolactin secretion. Vitamin E inhibits pituitary gland hypertrophy in vitamin E-deficient rats.​

Effect of vitamin E therapy on sexual functions of uremic patients in hemodialysis. - PubMed - NCBI

The full study can be downloaded from the researchers' website here: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Functions_of_Uremic_Patients_in_Hemodialysis

Last edited:

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I will share this with my nephrologist. Many of our patients can benefit from vitamin E.

vulture

I had seen this study mentioned a few times while perusing older posts in the forum, but I didn't see it linked directly. I wonder if this could be a very promising and safe route to lower prolactin without the use of bromocriptine/cabergoline/etc.

Int J Artif Organs. 1992 Nov;15(11):648-52.
Effect of vitamin E therapy on sexual functions of uremic patients in hemodialysis.
Yeksan M1, Polat M, Türk S, Kazanci H, Akhan G, Erdogan Y, Erkul I.
Twenty-four uremic patients on hemodialysis who had never been treated with vitamin E or related drugs and 12 control patients with normal renal function were studied. Hemodialysis patients were randomly divided into two groups; 12 were treated with oral vitamin E (300 mg/day) for eight weeks and 12 uremic patients and 12 controls were given placebo. Serum vitamin E, prolactin, FSH, LH, and free testosterone levels were measured in all patients before and after treatment. After the vitamin E treatment serum prolactin levels were significantly decreased (50.8 vs 15.4 ng/ml, p < 0.01). Vitamin E levels were significantly increased (1.11 vs 1.22 mg/dl, p < 0.05). Serum FSH, LH and free testosterone were not affected. In the other two groups there were no significant changes. These results show that vitamin E treatment lowers prolactin levels in uremic hemodialysis patients. This might be due to inhibition of central prolactin secretion. Vitamin E inhibits pituitary gland hypertrophy in vitamin E-deficient rats.​

Effect of vitamin E therapy on sexual functions of uremic patients in hemodialysis. - PubMed - NCBI

The full study can be downloaded from the researchers' website here: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Functions_of_Uremic_Patients_in_Hemodialysis
Thanks
Would this apply on people with healthy kidneys?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Hey what does prolactin have to do with kidneys? Why do bad kidneys cause high prolactin?

In general, people on dialysis have higher phosphorus and lower calcium. PTH goes up to try to balance it by breaking bones to release calcium, phosphorus and other nutrients in the blood. This is mostly to counter hypocalcemia. In a functional kidney, the PTH increases phosphate excretion. Unfortunately, in dialysis patients, it increases phosphate further. Prolactin seems to have a partially similar effect to PTH but unfortunately is not that well studied in the dialysis field.

A.R

In general, people on dialysis have higher phosphorus and lower calcium. PTH goes up to try to balance it by breaking bones to release calcium, phosphorus and other nutrients in the blood. This is mostly to counter hypocalcemia. In a functional kidney, the PTH increases phosphate excretion. Unfortunately, in dialysis patients, it increases phosphate further. Prolactin seems to have a partially similar effect to PTH but unfortunately is not that well studied in the dialysis field.
So does that mean calcium intake should be increased in the diet to help lower Prolactin?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
So does that mean calcium intake should be increased in the diet to help lower Prolactin?

Well I don't know - but increasing calcium intake (or infusion) does lower prolactin and PTH.

A.R

Well I don't know - but increasing calcium intake (or infusion) does lower prolactin and PTH.
That's great thanks for that.
Any other options in your opinion to bring Prolactin down?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
That's great thanks for that.
Any other options in your opinion to bring Prolactin down?

Oh there is plenty of information here, but I don't know all of it. I know that vitamin b6 or p5p lower prolactin. Substances like bromocriptine and dopamine agonists as well.