Low Serum Cholesterol Level Among Patients With COVID-19 Infection

Mito

FD51CA63-76A8-44CE-B713-D3EC8157852D.png

Abstract

Background: A recent cluster of pneumonia cases in Wuhan, China, was caused by a novel coronavirus COVID-19. Meanwhile, as the infection progressed, a large number of cases were also diagnosed in Wenzhou, China. The objective of the study is to describe the clinical laboratory features, especially lipid profile of the patients with COVID-19 infection in Wenzhou.

Methods: All cases were in a designated hospital in Wenzhou, and confirmed by positive virial nucleic acid detection through PCR assay. All clinical laboratory data were from the first test results after their admission. The unpaired t test was used for data analysis.

Findings: The absolute value of white blood cells, neutrophils and lymphocytes were lower than healthy controls ( P <0.05), more significantly, the patients had sharply decreased total cholesterol (TC), HDL-cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol levels ( P <0.001), 3.70±0.09mmol/L, 1.18±0.03 mmol/L and 1.82±0.08 mmol/L respectively, and increased monocyte/HDL-cholesterol ratio (0.37±0.02 vs 0.28±0.01 in healthy control). Among the patients, the primary infection cases showed the lower HDL-cholesterol levels (1.10±0.04 mmol/L) and higher monocyte/HDL-cholesterol ratio (0.43±0.03) than the secondary infection cases by person-to-person transmission ( P <0.05). Compared with the female patients, the male patients had higher levels of monocytes [(0.46±0.02) ×10 9 /L], M/HDL-C ratio (0.44±0.02), and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH, 257.6±12.32 U/l).

Interpretation: Low serum cholesterol level in the patients with COVID-19 in Wenzhou, China. Altered serum cholesterol provide important information, and is meaningful to understand the disease.
Low Serum Cholesterol Level Among Patients with COVID-19 Infection in Wenzhou, China by Xingzhong Hu, Dong Chen, Lianpeng Wu, Guiqing He, Wei Ye :: SSRN

Hans

Forum Supporter
People with high cholesterol are better protected against viral infections in general, so this comes at no surprise.

Beastmode

People with high cholesterol are better protected against viral infections in general, so this comes at no surprise.

Peat is right again....shocker! :)

I have a lot of family members on statins and are terrified to come off them.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Such as bummer. The cholesterol myth has long been debunked. Paul Saladino has some good content on cholesterol if you want to check his stuff out and recommend it to your family members.

Regina

Me too.
Statins and SSRI's and paleo diet, almond milk, low salt, no sugar, heart smart salmon and lean chicken, canola oil and nuts and seeds and salad.
Yay! :wtf

S.Seneff

Cholesterol is used to make vitamin D. Could they make enough of it even with adequate sun exposure ?

Beastmode

Such as bummer. The cholesterol myth has long been debunked. Paul Saladino has some good content on cholesterol if you want to check his stuff out and recommend it to your family members.

Thank you!

Unless Paul is their M.D unfortunately, they won't budge. Unfortunately, they've always seen me as the healthy guy in the family so they don't see a difference in me over the past 3 years of consistently doing pro metabolic stuff that Peat promotes. I was very hypothyroid, etc.....but I was lean.....ha

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thank you!

Unless Paul is their M.D unfortunately, they won't budge. Unfortunately, they've always seen me as the healthy guy in the family so they don't see a difference in me over the past 3 years of consistently doing pro metabolic stuff that Peat promotes. I was very hypothyroid, etc.....but I was lean.....ha
Yes he's an MD as far as I know. :)
Yeah that's frustrating when you know you have such good helpful information that can help other but healing takes time and people want to see results yesterday.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes he's an MD as far as I know. :)
Yeah that's frustrating when you know you have such good helpful information that can help other but healing takes time and people want to see results yesterday.
Yes he’s a MD but practices functional medicine after first working as a cardiology PA and getting frustrated with the standard of care.

scoobydoo

My question is whether some of this is age dependent. For instance a 20 year old with a TC of 3.7 vs a 80 year old with 3.7

haidut

Forum Supporter
View attachment 17017
Abstract

Background: A recent cluster of pneumonia cases in Wuhan, China, was caused by a novel coronavirus COVID-19. Meanwhile, as the infection progressed, a large number of cases were also diagnosed in Wenzhou, China. The objective of the study is to describe the clinical laboratory features, especially lipid profile of the patients with COVID-19 infection in Wenzhou.

Methods: All cases were in a designated hospital in Wenzhou, and confirmed by positive virial nucleic acid detection through PCR assay. All clinical laboratory data were from the first test results after their admission. The unpaired t test was used for data analysis.

Findings: The absolute value of white blood cells, neutrophils and lymphocytes were lower than healthy controls ( P <0.05), more significantly, the patients had sharply decreased total cholesterol (TC), HDL-cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol levels ( P <0.001), 3.70±0.09mmol/L, 1.18±0.03 mmol/L and 1.82±0.08 mmol/L respectively, and increased monocyte/HDL-cholesterol ratio (0.37±0.02 vs 0.28±0.01 in healthy control). Among the patients, the primary infection cases showed the lower HDL-cholesterol levels (1.10±0.04 mmol/L) and higher monocyte/HDL-cholesterol ratio (0.43±0.03) than the secondary infection cases by person-to-person transmission ( P <0.05). Compared with the female patients, the male patients had higher levels of monocytes [(0.46±0.02) ×10 9 /L], M/HDL-C ratio (0.44±0.02), and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH, 257.6±12.32 U/l).

Interpretation: Low serum cholesterol level in the patients with COVID-19 in Wenzhou, China. Altered serum cholesterol provide important information, and is meaningful to understand the disease.
Low Serum Cholesterol Level Among Patients with COVID-19 Infection in Wenzhou, China by Xingzhong Hu, Dong Chen, Lianpeng Wu, Guiqing He, Wei Ye :: SSRN

Thanks, a very good study. Some other related studies posted in the past. When I sent these studies to Peat a few years ago he said he knew of people who recovered from Ebola by eating egg yolks and he thought most of cholesterol's benefit is through conversion into progesterone but eating more cholesterol was still a good idea if one had viral infection.
Higher levels of cholesterol in cells block viral infection
Progesterone Protects Against The Flu And Helps Recovery
Progesterone Promotes Lung Healing After Flu

@Blossom @Regina @schultz @Beastmode

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks, a very good study. Some other related studies posted in the past. When I sent these studies to Peat a few years ago he said he knew of people who recovered from Ebola by eating egg yolks and he thought most of cholesterol's benefit is through conversion into progesterone but eating more cholesterol was still a good idea if one had viral infection.

Thank you for tagging me. I’ve taken up eating 3 yolks per day recently. Let’s hope it works!

tara

Hah. We used to be fed egg yolks when we were ill as kids. And orange juice.
Does that mean supplementing progesterone might also be helpful directly, as well as eating cholesterol?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hah. We used to be fed egg yolks when we were ill as kids. And orange juice.
Does that mean supplementing progesterone might also be helpful directly, as well as eating cholesterol?

That's how I understood his email - that taking progesterone directly may be even more helpful as cholesterol's benefits mainly stemmed from conversion into progesterone. But he did mention eating egg yolks as beneficial for viral infections and given his recent newsletter on cholesterol I think there is no harm in doing both - eggs (or powdered cholesterol from @charlie) and progesterone.

Regina

Thank you for tagging me. I’ve taken up eating 3 yolks per day recently. Let’s hope it works!
Me too Blossom. It's just easier. Pretty desolate here in Chicago. I didn't hoard any toilet paper. But I walked to the grocery and grabbed 3 dozen eggs and soft-boiled them all for snacks. Everyone is being real nice. It's just less people everywhere. The child lots are empty. I walked through Millennium park and maybe saw only 2 other people. (oddballs like me).

Beastmode

Thank you for this as a good buddy of mine's wife has COVID. I sent him the studies and also mentioned Cypro as an adjunct solution as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals