Testosterone Replacement Therapy LOWERS DHT Levels In Men

Decline of plasma 5α‐dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels upon testosterone administration to elderly men with subnormal plasma testosterone and high DHT levels

The study was performed to measure the impact of testosterone (T) administration on circulating levels of 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Group 1 (32 men; mean age 61 years; mean T 6.9 ± 1.9 nmol l−1) were treated for 15 months with long-acting T undecanoate. Group 2 (23 men, mean age 60 years, mean T 7.6 ± 2.0 nmol l−1) were treated for 9 months with T gel.

Plasma T and DHT were measured before and after 9 months T administration.

In the men treated with T undecanoate plasma T and DHT were also measured after 12 and 15 months.

Before T administration, plasma DHT ranged from 0.39 to 1.76 nmol l−1 (0.30–1.90 nmol l−1). Mean DHT declined upon T administration from 0.95 ± 0.50 to 0.55 ± 0.30 nmol l−1 (P < 0.05). With an arbitrary cut-off at 0.60 nmol l−1, all 21 values of DHT > 0.60 nmol l−1 had fallen from 1.29 ± 0.50 to 0.70 ± 0.60 nmol l−1 (P < 0.01).

Below this cut-off point 13 values rose and 21 fell upon T administration. Below this cut-off point values on average declined from 0.39 ± 0.12 to 0.30 ± 0.14 nmol l−1 (P < 0.05).

The study revealed that in a cohort of elderly men with subnormal plasma T levels plasma DHT levels declined upon T administration when they were in the higher range of normal (>0.6 nmol l−1), with a profound shift of DHT/T ratios presumed to be an indicator of a reduced 5α-reductase activity. Below plasma DHT levels of 0.6 nmol l−1, responses of plasma DHT to T administration varied.

Dante

@haidut , since you are pro T/DHT guy , i hope you clear this doubt whenever you get the time. From what i have read, T levels fall as we age but DHT levels remain more or less the same. In fact, declining T levels and rising DHT levels is said to cause excessive hairiness (except the scalp) and MPB as we age. Why does DHT fall upon administering T ?
Stimulation of aromatase activity by dihydrotestosterone in human skin fibroblasts. - PubMed - NCBI
This study says that aromatase activity gets stimulated by DHT

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut , since you are pro T/DHT guy , i hope you clear this doubt whenever you get the time. From what i have read, T levels fall as we age but DHT levels remain more or less the same. In fact, declining T levels and rising DHT levels is said to cause excessive hairiness (except the scalp) and MPB as we age. Why does DHT fall upon administering T ?

I am not sure I agree with any of these statements. Total T seems to stay the same but DHT declines. Cortisol rises and high cortisol is behind symptoms of hairiness of ears, neck, torso, etc. Look up the symptoms of Cushing syndrome (high cortisol). Above all, pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA decline so there is nothing left to protect from the excess cortisol. Here is some info on hormone changes with aging.
Pregnenolone, Progesterone And DHEA Drop, Cortisol Rises In Aging

Dante

I am not sure I agree with any of these statements. Total T seems to stay the same but DHT declines. Cortisol rises and high cortisol is behind symptoms of hairiness of ears, neck, torso, etc. Look up the symptoms of Cushing syndrome (high cortisol). Above all, pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA decline so there is nothing left to protect from the excess cortisol. Here is some info on hormone changes with aging.
Pregnenolone, Progesterone And DHEA Drop, Cortisol Rises In Aging
Man i didn't even complete the editing :), i added one more thing. I seem to have read different studies. Cushing is a special case.
You talk about DHEA dropping in old age however i am not sure if too much of DHEA-S is a good thing.
Adrenal Hyperactivity In Young Men With MPB
Youngsters with MPB have massive DHEA-S levels suggesting adrenal hyperactivity compared to controls.

Last edited:

Agent207

"to elderly men with subnormal plasma testosterone and high DHT levels" Why are you so prone to manipulating title. One can read it and think its a general statement for all TRT users. Is it that hard stick to the title? Or if you don't want to write it all you just can title "TRT effect on T/DHT ratio" and then you specify later. But these titles are terrible misleading.

And in any case, in that specific group this is a very positive outcome, since it balances both to a normal younger ratio.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Man i didn't even complete the editing :), i added one more thing. I seem to have read different studies. Cushing is a special case.
You talk about DHEA dropping in old age however i am not sure if too much of DHEA-S is a good thing.
Adrenal Hyperactivity In Young Men With MPB
Youngsters with MPB have massive DHEA-S levels suggesting adrenal hyperactivity compared to controls.

There is a difference between having an excess of DHEA and keeping at youthful levels as we age. Yes, DHEA is involved in MPB but not as a direct cause but rather as a co-release steroid with cortisol and prolactin. And yes, MPB is characterized by adrenal hyperactivity and lower gonadal function. So, T levels also tend to be lower. Higher adrenal function and lower gonadal function is the one defining characteristic of MPB and pretty much most disorders really.
Thieme E-Journals - Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes / Abstract

But declining DHEA levels as we age are not a good thing, so for optimal health it should be kept in range of a 25 year old. It is also VERY important to keep pregnenolone and progesterone high as they keep DHEA from wreaking havoc and/or turning into estrogen.

OP
ecstatichamster
I think you are misreading something @Agent207

that's the title of the study. They mean that DHT levels were normal, I think. It's for hypogonadal men who do not have low DHT levels.

DHT levels decline very slowly and very little in men, even low T men, as they age.

Agent207

Im just saying to specify what the study says in its conclusion.

Last edited: