Drinking Pepsi/Coke freely is androgenic for males, enlarges testicles, ups testosterone

Nfinkelstein

I am male, and definitely underweight :laughing:. That being said, I've never had issues relating to weight, and have always been energetic and athletic. I'm in my late 20's. It definitely varies, as of right now, I haven't had coke in a week. But I have been eating a ton of caramel.
I see, I'm sorry, I hope I didn't insult you, it is tough being underweight, hang in there and hopefully you will be able to add some healthy pounds if you should choose to.

HumanLife

I can believe that sugar can have positive effects on testosterone, and coke is the favorite drink of builders based on how many bottles I have seen laying around on every construction site, but my personal issue with it is that whenever I take it more frequently for a long period of time I get both bloated with the carbs and gain weight. I prefer feeling more energetic and getting my calories from eating more food than rely on coke. I do sometimes add a bit to it to my collagen and creatine mix for flavor though.
Okay, I decided to give coke another go. I have a feeling it will bite me with the weight gain but hopefully it's only temporary/mostly water weight and my training balances it. The instant hydration and conversion to energy from the sugar is too valuable - I definitely feel more energetic and dopaminergic, and I can see how this would translate well for testosterone with dopamine having correlative effects on each other.

It really is black gold.

---
Story time!

When I was 10 years old, my anxiety with dealing with others was terrible from being bullied at a much younger age, so I was much more afraid of others. Combined with a school setting and needing to learn and assimilate new information while dealing with anxiety is not easy, so I would chug down like 1.5 liters of a soft drink to cope. I always knew it was relaxing, but I credited that to the sweet feeling more than the sugar even if both went hand in hand in making me feel "normal". Later on I dropped it for water and sometimes orange juice, and... lets just say things didn't improve from there and actually gained weight in my mid teens compared to my pre-teens! Obviously the age brings in a different circumstances, but say, if I was going to gain weight anyway with or without the coke, may as well have gained it with the relief coke brings.

DonLore

Is it really a good idea to make something like coca cola a staple in diet..? Occasionally as a refreshment with food or something, sure, but its still a highly processed drink with no nutrients whatsoever, other than white sugar

Jonk

Is it really a good idea to make something like coca cola a staple in diet..? Occasionally as a refreshment with food or something, sure, but its still a highly processed drink with no nutrients whatsoever, other than white sugar
Depends on how you react to it. The potential downsides would would be 1. lots of liquid, 2. carbonation, 3. high phosphor/calcium ratio. 4. Maybe also lack of antimicrobial properties which you normally get with fruits and vegetables (like naringenin in orange juice), which helps/prevents potential fermentation of the sugar in the intestine.

Maybe these things are deal breakers, but maybe you just need a boost with extra sugar and have a robust enough metabolism/other components in your diet that counteract the potential downsides, that it doesn't affect you negatively at all.

All in all, probably not an ideal staple in diet, but you wouldn't know until you've tried.

HumanLife

Okay, I decided to give coke another go. I have a feeling it will bite me with the weight gain but hopefully it's only temporary/mostly water weight and my training balances it. The instant hydration and conversion to energy from the sugar is too valuable - I definitely feel more energetic and dopaminergic, and I can see how this would translate well for testosterone with dopamine having correlative effects on each other.

It really is black gold.

---
Story time!

When I was 10 years old, my anxiety with dealing with others was terrible from being bullied at a much younger age, so I was much more afraid of others. Combined with a school setting and needing to learn and assimilate new information while dealing with anxiety is not easy, so I would chug down like 1.5 liters of a soft drink to cope. I always knew it was relaxing, but I credited that to the sweet feeling more than the sugar even if both went hand in hand in making me feel "normal". Later on I dropped it for water and sometimes orange juice, and... lets just say things didn't improve from there and actually gained weight in my mid teens compared to my pre-teens! Obviously the age brings in a different circumstances, but say, if I was going to gain weight anyway with or without the coke, may as well have gained it with the relief coke brings.
Just between the post I am quoting and the one I am posting now - I went to a public garden and started jumping from one stone ledge to another. I am 26 and I was running around like an 8 year old in a park while kids who looked around 13 were just sitting around talking. I got VERY hungry from all the running around so I ordered a rabbit pizza with potatoes from the nearby kiosk. I ate it all up like as if it was honey. No digestive issues or lethargy. Still in a mega good mood when usually such food would bring me down with my body needing to invest energy in digesting it :).

I don't expect the effect to last and there are probably many factors (environment, commitments on my mind, routine, depletion of certain nutrients and minerals, potential bacteria etc.) that would not make me reach this energetic state all the time. I will try to take 330ml bottles when I feel like it and move around as much as I feel like it when the energy comes.

Another benefit I haven't mentioned yet is better sleep - two days ago I slept at 7pm for 2 hours when a few hours before I had drank coke.

HumanLife

Per Ray Peat philosophies it has to do with glycogen stores and how efficient it is at filling them. The thing is, the body is so complicated it's not always a fix when other things could be missing, which is why the Peatsphere relies heavily on context because it's not always going to work because the body can not always be its best even when the criteria is followed. There are so many factors that could be at play, like say, a minor infection, that could make the body not act optimally, or the body needs more CO2 because it lost so much through stress. This is the bane of the health world, but ultimately most people end up agreeing that how things work always depend on the context, which is why there is never one fix.

Summer

Is there an alternative to these brands? Both of these companies openly promote leftist wokie nonsense.

Razvan

I actually dont understand the hype for white sugar on this forum.
Its just tasteless, nutritionally devoid processed product. Meanwhile, molasses have huge amounts of magnesium, potassium, Anti-oxidants, uridine, B6, and so on. And the taste is far, far superior to white sugar..
You forgot to add heavy metals to the list on molasses.

Razvan

First rule of the fight club:
Cola as a staple.

DonLore

You forgot to add heavy metals to the list on molasses.
So? Every source of minerals also contain heavy metals. Fruit, vegetables, etc. Or do you have scientific data that molasses somehow contain significantly more than other foods?

supercoolguy

What mexican coke are you all drinking? The coke here in mexico right now tastes like ***t and is laced with artificial sweetener.
Is that the Plastic Bottle Coke?
Does the Label Indicate all the ingredients?

GorillaHead

I think the sales of Coke/Pepsi are about to go through the roof. The study sounds like it was sponsored by one/both of the soda makers, but it was not, and in fact is corroborated by prior studies on (human) male fertility and sugar consumption that I posted about in the past. The study below had the animals consume freely (no restrictions/dosing whatsoever) either Pepsi or Coke, and the groups were further separated into drinking diluted soda (1:1 with tap water) or undiluted soda (100% Pepsi/Coke). The experiment lasted for only 15 days and the findings are unequivocal. Namely, only the groups drinking undiluted sodas had an increase in total testosterone (T) levels, as well as testicle size/volume. In fact, by end of the 15-day experiment, T levels almost doubled in the groups drinking undiluted soda. In addition, only the groups drinking undiluted sodas had an increase in AR expression levels in the testicles, and the increase was in the 60%-78% range. The study tries to explain the findings away with the caffeine contents of the sodas, however both sodas have a relatively low concentration of caffeine (~100mg/L), which translated into animal (mice) doses of about 15mg/kg b.w. and the human-equivalent dose of that is ~1mg/kg daily. Daily human doses of 80mg-100mg caffeine have been studied many times in males and have never been shown to cause such a large increase in testicle size, T levels, or AR expression. Thus, the only plausible explanation for the study findings is the sugar content of the sodas, which is corroborated by the improved male fertility from eating a lot of sugar, seen in the study I linked to above. Now I wonder if the epidemic of (male) infertility we are seeing lately is not to a large degree driven by the ridiculous recommendations from FDA/USDA to limit sugar consumption as much as possible... On the flip side, I bet it won't be long before we start seeing Coke/Pepsi ads showing 10+ member families with the patriarch winking at the camera and saying "I drink Coke/Pepsi. How 'bout you?" :):

CARBONATED BEVERAGES AFFECT LEVELS OF ANDROGEN RECEPTOR AND TESTOSTERONE SECRETION IN MICE - PubMed
"...The testes weights of PEP-2, COC-1 and COC-2 were significantly increased on day 15 (P<0.05) as compared to PEP-1 and CG (Table 1). The outcomes demonstrated a high dose of Pepsi-Cola or Coca-Cola could promote testis growth and development."

"...As shown in Figure 1A, the concentrations of serum testosterone in all mice were enhanced after the Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola treatment. Serum testosterone concentration of PEP-2 was higher than that of other four groups. On days 10 and 15, there were significant differences between PEP-2 and CG. Serum testosterone concentration of COC-2 was also higher than that of CG (P<0.05). The outcomes indicated that high doses of Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola could improve testosterone secretion of male mice."

"...Expression levels of AR mRNAs in mouse testes were detected using qRT-PCR so as to assess the FRBI influences on s of AR mRNAs. As shown in Figure 2, expressions of AR mRNAs in four treatment groups were increased. On day 15, increments of COC-1, COC-2, PEP-1 and PEP-2 mice were 60.18%, 67.26%, 65.93% and 78.76% (P<0.05) on the bases of the CG level. Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola could enhance expressions of AR mRNAs in the testes of mice."

Men who drink Coca-Cola or Pepsi have larger testicles, study suggests
"...The country's most popular sodas might refresh the parts other drinks can't reach - by giving men bigger testicles and making them more masculine, a study suggests. Research on mice showed adult males who drank Coca-Cola or Pepsi had higher testosterone levels and larger genitals than their peers...'The outcomes demonstrated a high dose of Pepsi-Cola or Coca-Cola could promote testis growth and development,' the study said. Testosterone levels were also recorded, and concentrations were found to be enhanced at the end of the study. On days 10 and 15, the group which drank pure Pepsi had significantly higher concentrations of testosterone than the control group. After 15 days, the control group's testosterone concentration was around 23 nanomoles (nmol) per liter, whereas the groups which drank pure Coca-Cola and Pepsi had a concentration that was roughly 30 nmol/L. The mice who were allocated the pure Coca-Cola also had higher levels of the male hormone than the control group. The results suggest that large doses of Pepsi and Coca-Cola could improve testosterone production in male mice."
This isn't a surprise. Its known that insulin resistance increase androgen expression in tissues. This may not be a healthy way for androgenic upregulation

laoa

Is that the Plastic Bottle Coke?
Does the Label Indicate all the ingredients?
Both the cans and plastic bottles list the full ingredients, amongst which are sucralose 4,4mg/100ml and high fructose syrup instead of plain sugar. They both have the warning on them to not give it to kids because of the sweetener. The glass bottles dont have this warning and do not state ingredients but since they are reused and taste the same as the plastic ones I'm pretty sure they're also the same foul tasting sucralose version. Guatemala was different, no sweeteners, plain sugar, great taste.

David PS

This isn't a surprise. Its known that insulin resistance increase androgen expression in tissues. This may not be a healthy way for androgenic upregulation
I agree that this might not be a healthy way to upregulate testosterone. There are some related human studies.
Multivariate logistic regression revealed the odds of low testosterone was significantly greater with increasing SSB consumption (Q4 [≥442 kcal/day] vs. Q1 [≤137 kcal/day]), adjusted odds ratio [aOR] = 2.29, p = 0.041]. After adjusting for possible confounding variables, BMI was an independent risk factor for low testosterone level; subjects with BMI ≥ 25 kg/m2 had a higher risk of having a low testosterone level than those with BMI < 25 kg/m2 (aOR = 3.68, p = 0.044).

Last edited:

NewACC

I agree that this might not be a healthy way to upregulate testosterone. There are some related human studies.

But what is healthy food for testosterone, except dairy, beef and oysters? I think that sugars are the best carbs for testosterone

NewACC

I find good oj with gelatin are very horny dietary stack

MikeyFitz

I think the sales of Coke/Pepsi are about to go through the roof. The study sounds like it was sponsored by one/both of the soda makers, but it was not, and in fact is corroborated by prior studies on (human) male fertility and sugar consumption that I posted about in the past. The study below had the animals consume freely (no restrictions/dosing whatsoever) either Pepsi or Coke, and the groups were further separated into drinking diluted soda (1:1 with tap water) or undiluted soda (100% Pepsi/Coke). The experiment lasted for only 15 days and the findings are unequivocal. Namely, only the groups drinking undiluted sodas had an increase in total testosterone (T) levels, as well as testicle size/volume. In fact, by end of the 15-day experiment, T levels almost doubled in the groups drinking undiluted soda. In addition, only the groups drinking undiluted sodas had an increase in AR expression levels in the testicles, and the increase was in the 60%-78% range. The study tries to explain the findings away with the caffeine contents of the sodas, however both sodas have a relatively low concentration of caffeine (~100mg/L), which translated into animal (mice) doses of about 15mg/kg b.w. and the human-equivalent dose of that is ~1mg/kg daily. Daily human doses of 80mg-100mg caffeine have been studied many times in males and have never been shown to cause such a large increase in testicle size, T levels, or AR expression. Thus, the only plausible explanation for the study findings is the sugar content of the sodas, which is corroborated by the improved male fertility from eating a lot of sugar, seen in the study I linked to above. Now I wonder if the epidemic of (male) infertility we are seeing lately is not to a large degree driven by the ridiculous recommendations from FDA/USDA to limit sugar consumption as much as possible... On the flip side, I bet it won't be long before we start seeing Coke/Pepsi ads showing 10+ member families with the patriarch winking at the camera and saying "I drink Coke/Pepsi. How 'bout you?" :):

CARBONATED BEVERAGES AFFECT LEVELS OF ANDROGEN RECEPTOR AND TESTOSTERONE SECRETION IN MICE - PubMed
"...The testes weights of PEP-2, COC-1 and COC-2 were significantly increased on day 15 (P<0.05) as compared to PEP-1 and CG (Table 1). The outcomes demonstrated a high dose of Pepsi-Cola or Coca-Cola could promote testis growth and development."

"...As shown in Figure 1A, the concentrations of serum testosterone in all mice were enhanced after the Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola treatment. Serum testosterone concentration of PEP-2 was higher than that of other four groups. On days 10 and 15, there were significant differences between PEP-2 and CG. Serum testosterone concentration of COC-2 was also higher than that of CG (P<0.05). The outcomes indicated that high doses of Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola could improve testosterone secretion of male mice."

"...Expression levels of AR mRNAs in mouse testes were detected using qRT-PCR so as to assess the FRBI influences on s of AR mRNAs. As shown in Figure 2, expressions of AR mRNAs in four treatment groups were increased. On day 15, increments of COC-1, COC-2, PEP-1 and PEP-2 mice were 60.18%, 67.26%, 65.93% and 78.76% (P<0.05) on the bases of the CG level. Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola could enhance expressions of AR mRNAs in the testes of mice."

Men who drink Coca-Cola or Pepsi have larger testicles, study suggests
"...The country's most popular sodas might refresh the parts other drinks can't reach - by giving men bigger testicles and making them more masculine, a study suggests. Research on mice showed adult males who drank Coca-Cola or Pepsi had higher testosterone levels and larger genitals than their peers...'The outcomes demonstrated a high dose of Pepsi-Cola or Coca-Cola could promote testis growth and development,' the study said. Testosterone levels were also recorded, and concentrations were found to be enhanced at the end of the study. On days 10 and 15, the group which drank pure Pepsi had significantly higher concentrations of testosterone than the control group. After 15 days, the control group's testosterone concentration was around 23 nanomoles (nmol) per liter, whereas the groups which drank pure Coca-Cola and Pepsi had a concentration that was roughly 30 nmol/L. The mice who were allocated the pure Coca-Cola also had higher levels of the male hormone than the control group. The results suggest that large doses of Pepsi and Coca-Cola could improve testosterone production in male mice."
Awesome!

I am a big fan of Mexican Coke. I buy it a case at a time at Costco. If Costco is out, I am forced to get the 4 packs at Publix.

The Coca-Cola company answered my question about the need for phosphoric acid....they say it adds the unique tartness that Coke is known for.

They did not, however, answer my question about the "natural flavors."

There was an urban legend some time ago that the FDA allows some 1,500 or so chemicals to be listed on ingredient labels as "Natural Flavors."

Does anyone know what the natural flavors are in Mexican Coke?

Thanks!

MikeyFitz

David PS

Awesome!

I am a big fan of Mexican Coke. I buy it a case at a time at Costco. If Costco is out, I am forced to get the 4 packs at Publix.

The Coca-Cola company answered my question about the need for phosphoric acid....they say it adds the unique tartness that Coke is known for.

They did not, however, answer my question about the "natural flavors."

There was an urban legend some time ago that the FDA allows some 1,500 or so chemicals to be listed on ingredient labels as "Natural Flavors."

Does anyone know what the natural flavors are in Mexican Coke?

Thanks!

MikeyFitz
It is still a trade secret.

David PS

But what is healthy food for testosterone, except dairy, beef and oysters? I think that sugars are the best carbs for testosterone

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals