Surrogates For Thyroid Hormone

superhuman

man i got a headache yesterday Peata. I ate like 4000 calories i could somewhat tell that eating helped a bit but still it was not good enough so man in the evening the headache was crazy and it hurt bad.

What can have caused this? i could really feel that my metabolism was speeding up in terms of pulse,temperature and everything. Does missing nutrients cause the headache? vitamins, minerals? or is it the b3,caffeine combination or ? when to take it etc etc

honeybee

This morning I tried the 81 mg with 250 mg of niacinamide and coffee. I think I like this version better than the 325/500 and coffee. For now at least. Same effects but less intense. Thanks for the tip Jyb.

Peata

superhuman said:
man i got a headache yesterday Peata. I ate like 4000 calories i could somewhat tell that eating helped a bit but still it was not good enough so man in the evening the headache was crazy and it hurt bad.

What can have caused this? i could really feel that my metabolism was speeding up in terms of pulse,temperature and everything. Does missing nutrients cause the headache? vitamins, minerals? or is it the b3,caffeine combination or ? when to take it etc etc

I don't know. Maybe all of the above. Someone else can probably say. I just felt like I burned through what I ate fast and if I didn't replenish quick enough and with enough food, I would start getting a headache.

Katty

Just wondering if anyone is still taking this regularly. Do the effects wear off eventually? Do you need to increase dose after a while? Do you need to eat more calories to sustain the increase in metabolism? Do you find any specific nutrient (such as other B vitamins) being depleted after a while? General sense of increased health after trying this out for a month or two?

Seems most Peaties aren't promoting a B-complex. But with high doses of B1 or B3 for long periods, I'm wondering if adding a B-complex would be useful.

J

j.

I guess it affects each person differently. 250 mg of niacinamide alone is enough for me to have an insatiable, uncomfortable, appetite for sugar.

chelle86

Awesome! Thank you so much for this info! Glad I'm not 'crazy' in being the only one who can't handle a tiny bit of caffeine :)
I'll give Niacinamide a try and see how my body responds. Thank you

fluke

I experimented with this combo a couple of weeks ago but it didn't work the way it was proposed. Coffee+aspirin is great but if I add niacinamide them I'm more likely to get the jitters. I tried taking progesterone and it mitigates them pretty effectively.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
How about magnesium to reduce jitters instead?

There are studies on this and it did not work as expected. However, there are other things that reduce the jitters and that's what my next supplement will be based on:): Caffeine + something else that eliminates the jitters and enhances liver function.

Peata

I mix 250 mg. theanine into my own energy drink concoction. I don't know if it enhances liver function.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
I mix 250 mg. theanine into my own energy drink concoction. I don't know if it enhances liver function.

Taurine enhances liver function and opposes caffeine jitters, hence its presence in Red Bull which is often consumed with alcohol. The problem with taurine is that you need a ratio of 12:1 taurine:caffeine in order to oppose caffeine being anxiogenic and pro-adrenalin. Incidentally, that's the ratio used in Red Bull so at least we know whoever is designing it knows their stuff, or at least reads PubMed:):
There are other substances that can be used in much smaller doses to oppose caffeine jitters and help the liver even more.

jyb

haidut said:
The problem with taurine is that you need a ratio of 12:1 taurine:caffeine in order to oppose caffeine being anxiogenic and pro-adrenalin.

I thought that caffeine would trigger jitterness by using up energy. In other words, its a problem if one isn't nourished enough. So the fact that an amino acid (taurine) could make up for that seems strange to me...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
haidut said:
The problem with taurine is that you need a ratio of 12:1 taurine:caffeine in order to oppose caffeine being anxiogenic and pro-adrenalin.

I thought that caffeine would trigger jitterness by using up energy. In other words, its a problem if one isn't nourished enough. So the fact that an amino acid (taurine) could make up for that seems strange to me...

There are at least two studies that I saw showing caffeine to be anxiogenic in some people even in the presence of enough glycogen. As far as I remember the conclusion was that caffeine did that in the CNS though antagonism of GABA "receptors", which are known to be anxiolytic, so antagonizing them would be anxiogenic. I certainly agree with Peat that a lot of caffeine's jitters would be from low energy, but I am not sure this is the complete picture.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15224155
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7919175
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9482268

Milklove

haidut said:
jyb said:
haidut said:

There are at least two studies that I saw showing caffeine to be anxiogenic in some people even in the presence of enough glycogen. As far as I remember the conclusion was that caffeine did that in the CNS though antagonism of GABA "receptors", which are known to be anxiolytic, so antagonizing them would be anxiogenic. I certainly agree with Peat that a lot of caffeine's jitters would be from low energy, but I am not sure this is the complete picture.

Do you think that the presence of enough glycogen necessarily means enough energy? Maybe if the mitochondria can't produce enough energy, you might experience jitters although you ha adequate glycogen stored. Just a thought.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Milklove said:
haidut said:
jyb said:
haidut said:

Do you think that the presence of enough glycogen necessarily means enough energy? Maybe if the mitochondria can't produce enough energy, you might experience jitters although you ha adequate glycogen stored. Just a thought.

I guess that's possible too, even though people whose mitochondria does not work well and are glycolysis-driven typically cannot accumulate glycogen well. I guess a good test would be to have someone take caffeine wit pure fructose, which is supposed to be able to bypass glycolysis.

I just tried Haidut's formula. Maybe it's because I just had lunch, but I felt an almost immediate relaxation on the sides of my head down into my jaw. It's created a very peaceful and serene feeling. It's strange, I thought for sure my heart would be pounding, but so far, so good.

Thanks, Haidut! :cool:

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
solaire_of_astora said:
I just tried Haidut's formula. Maybe it's because I just had lunch, but I felt an almost immediate relaxation on the sides of my head down into my jaw. It's created a very peaceful and serene feeling. It's strange, I thought for sure my heart would be pounding, but so far, so good.

Thanks, Haidut! :cool:

You are welcome:):
It's probably the niacinamide giving you the relaxed feeling combined with the surge of energy from food and caffeine. Ray said that, contrary to popular expectation, having optimal energy/metabolism is what allows one to relax. Energy depleted states lead either to stupor or nervousness, but not relaxation.

aguilaroja

haidut said:
Ray said that, contrary to popular expectation, having optimal energy/metabolism is what allows one to relax. Energy depleted states lead either to stupor or nervousness, but not relaxation.

Yes, the resting state requires ample metabolic energy. An over-excited state most often indicates depleted metabolism rather than abundant energy. In this light, it is not surprising that people feel, for instance, "too stressed to sleep".

jyb

aguilaroja said:
Yes, the resting state requires ample metabolic energy. An over-excited state most often indicates depleted metabolism rather than abundant energy. In this light, it is not surprising that people feel, for instance, "too stressed to sleep".

What's tricky is that it's not intuitive from the usual hunger signals. Just being under nourished doesn't mean one feels hungry. Seems like fiber is effective at that, just stuff yourself with a no calories salad and you feel satisfied when there's nothing going in.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals