Is This Hyperthyroidism?

Tenacity

Had a pretty scary experience last week. I want to get more insight into it.

In the late afternoon last Tuesday I experienced a bout of voracious hunger, and began eating way over my usual caloric requirement. About an hour after the binge I had a huge adrenaline surge that lasted 4 hours, and raised my resting pulse to about 120BPM. My family and I were really afraid, so I went to A+E to get checked out. They decided to do an ECG and a blood test. After the ECG came back all clear, they must have felt no need to do a blood test and sent me home.

That day I had 3x300mg aspirin spread out 4 hours between each dose, 400mg of caffeine in the form of 5 teaspoons of instant coffee, and two teaspoons of coconut oil in my milk and honey drink. On a day to day basis I'd usually have the 3 aspirin and 320mg of caffeine, and no coconut oil.

I've been getting adrenaline surges everyday since, albeit milder and milder each time. Orange juice seems to trigger the surge. I've ceased using the above thyroid stimulants for now. Appetite has returned to normal. Heart rate seems to be slightly higher than usual.

If anyone has any information or explanation as to what happened, I'd thoroughly appreciate it. I want to understand what happened.

Last edited:

Diokine

I would suspect low grade anaphylactic-type shock. You may be allergic to something you're consuming. It may be a transient allergy. Is it commercial orange juice? I get similar reactions to many types of commercial juice. Are you eating nightshades? Anti-histamines or anti-adrenaline measures may be very helpful.

[Histamine effects on the heart with special reference to cardiac side effects of H2 receptor antagonists].

The role of histamine in cardiac anaphylaxis; characterization of histaminergic H1- and H2-receptor effects.

J

James IV

I would suspect low grade anaphylactic-type shock. You may be allergic to something you're consuming. It may be a transient allergy. Is it commercial orange juice? I get similar reactions to many types of commercial juice. Are you eating nightshades? Anti-histamines or anti-adrenaline measures may be very helpful.

[Histamine effects on the heart with special reference to cardiac side effects of H2 receptor antagonists].

The role of histamine in cardiac anaphylaxis; characterization of histaminergic H1- and H2-receptor effects.

As stated above. Also might want to check your blood sugar.

OP
Tenacity

Tenacity

Thanks for the responses.

I don't think it was the OJ that caused it. I've been using the same brand for about 2 years now. It's only after the initial surge that orange juice seems to be making my adrenaline rise, although it might just be correlative. I'm not eating any nightshades - I eat what you'd probably consider a 'strict Peat' type diet. Fruit, dairy, eggs, organ meats, honey.

Coconut oil is a possibility. I've thrown out the jar that I had. I don't see myself using any, at least until my symptoms are fully resolved.

InChristAlone

Have you monitored temp at all? It could be a shock type reaction or sudden reactive hypoglycemia. I found the strict Peat diet to cause it the most.

Energizer

In the late afternoon last Tuesday I experienced a bout of voracious hunger, and began eating way over my usual caloric requirement. About an hour after the binge I had a huge adrenaline surge that lasted 4 hours, and raised my resting pulse to about 120BPM. My family and I were really afraid, so I went to A+E to get checked out. They decided to do an ECG and a blood test. After the ECG came back all clear, they must have felt no need to do a blood test and sent me home.

That day I had 3x300mg aspirin spread out 4 hours between each dose, 400mg of caffeine in the form of 5 teaspoons of instant coffee, and two teaspoons of coconut oil in my milk and honey drink. On a day to day basis I'd usually have the 3 aspirin and 320mg of caffeine, and no coconut oil.

I've been getting adrenaline surges everyday since, albeit milder and milder each time. Orange juice seems to trigger the surge. I've ceased using the above thyroid stimulants for now. Appetite has returned to normal. Heart rate seems to be slightly higher than usual.

If anyone has any information or explanation as to what happened, I'd thoroughly appreciate it. I want to understand what happened.

Sounds more just like an allergy or adrenaline reaction to something you're eating or supplementing, I had a similar experience with using large amounts of coconut oil on popcorn, and nearly had a panic attack, my pulse rate shot over 100 and my chest tightened for an hour or so. I now just use a small amount of coconut oil at a time for cooking.

stargazer1111

There are a number of issues to address here. I have been off of Peat's recommendations for nearly 4 months now because of a similar experience. I developed an elevated resting pulse of about 95-100 for a few weeks before the real trouble began. Then, one day I had a tachycardia episode where the heart rate shot to about 160 bpm. Went to the ER and it eventually came down to about 100 on its own and was discharged. This happened a couple of more times until the worst episode happened. I had a prophetic dream one night before this in which my hand and arms went numb and I had to ask someone to take me to the hospital. The morning after the next, I woke up with a heart rate that was so fast I lost circulation in my limbs and am unsure how I was even able to dial 911. The pulse was easily over 200 bpm, which is potentially life-threatening.

It wasn't until this last time that the hospital decided to give me a beta blocker (which angers me, they should have given me a beta blocker the first time). They tested my thyroid and my TSH came back at less than .01 while my free T3 was about 6.93 and free T4 was about 2.9 something. I would go on to experience extreme panic and tachycardia for the next several weeks.

I began paying very close attention to dietary trends and kept a detailed food log. I realized that the tachycardia only really came when I ate foods that are high in histamine or are histamine liberators. Histamine is vasoactive and can elevate the heart rate.

For a time, the endocrinologist thought that the tachycardia was due to the hyperthyroidism alone. However, my resting pulse had dropped back down into the 60s and 70s after stopping all the sugar and increasing PUFA intake moderately but I was still getting episodes of tachycardia from time to time.

I am a biochemical graduate student and have read as much as I could on this. It looks like there is a small amount of evidence that hyperthyroidism can cause an increase in histamine receptors and an overreaction to the histamine consumed in the diet.

My thyroid values have only recently started to improve. But, right now as long as I eat a low-histamine diet and avoid coconut oil, the tachycardia doesn't occur.

These are all foods I could tolerate before Peating. I suspect I will tolerate them again once the thyroid hormones normalize.

When I told the doctor about doing the Peat thing, he was relatively sure that it was the sugar that did this. I had an ultrasound done on my thyroid and it appears that I developed two hot nodules that are causing an overproduction of the thyroid hormones while the entire thyroid generally is also enlarged and is dumping stored thyroid hormone into the blood. It is likely that the sugar increased inflammation in the thyroid which led to these problems.

I'm not saying sugar will cause this for everybody. But, just know that it can occur.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals