Caffeine Not A Good Thyroid Replacement?

docall18

I have been experimenting with caffeine plus aspirin etc as a way to reduce thyroid hormone dose.

However I have found that my thyroid requirements have increased. The caffeine knocks me out unless I increase thyroid a lot.

Why I think dis happens is the caffeine is known to greatly increase progesterone. This then increases use of thyroid hormones.

So if your thyroid isn't in great shape taking a lot of caffeine will quickly use up your thyroid reserves leaving you even more hypothyroid.

T

tca300

Not my experience.. Thyroid makes me depressed and weird. It sounds like your describing what happens when you use up all your sugar stores. Caffeine probably knocks you out because its making your liver dump fat into your bloodstream, causing temporary insulin resistance.

Makrosky

tca300 said:
Not my experience.. Thyroid makes me depressed and weird. It sounds like your describing what happens when you use up all your sugar stores. Caffeine probably knocks you out because its making your liver dump fat into your bloodstream, causing temporary insulin resistance.

So caffeine + niacinamide then ?

T

tca300

Makrosky said:
post 116443
tca300 said:

So caffeine + niacinamide then ?
Possibly.. I personally just weathered the storm, and worked up slowly, so I don't have any advice about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaguar43

docall18 said:
post 116438 I have been experimenting with caffeine plus aspirin etc as a way to reduce thyroid hormone dose.

However I have found that my thyroid requirements have increased. The caffeine knocks me out unless I increase thyroid a lot.

Why I think dis happens is the caffeine is known to greatly increase progesterone. This then increases use of thyroid hormones.

So if your thyroid isn't in great shape taking a lot of caffeine will quickly use up your thyroid reserves leaving you even more hypothyroid.

There are a few post saying that caffeine with aspirin will act like thyroid. I won't doubt that this is possible, however, my experience show that caffeine and aspirin don't compare to thyroid.

In the end it would depend on the individual. How hypothyroid one is and how long one's body has being accustomed to hypothyroid. Ray Peat spoke of a women that was receiving estrogen shots for about 20 years. Only by increasing thyroid to 500 grains was she able to react to the thyroid.

Ray Peat has said that when he didn't use thyroid. He took about 40 cups of coffee to mimic the effects of thyroid. Whether or not this is workable will depend on other variables.

OP
D

docall18

tca300 said:
post 116440 Not my experience.. Thyroid makes me depressed and weird. It sounds like your describing what happens when you use up all your sugar stores. Caffeine probably knocks you out because its making your liver dump fat into your bloodstream, causing temporary insulin resistance.

When I take caffeine it causes a temperature increase but I also develop lethargy. I can be relaxed but lazy.

It kind of feels like taking a large dose of progesterone. You have no great drive like high gaba or low dopamine.

Thyroid fixes this somewhat but at very high doses.

I also take 1 or 2 grams of aspirin and taurine as well as vitamin é and thiamine. I take plenty of sugar too.

What would help if ffa release was the issue?

T

tca300

If your liver is heavy in fat, you might have to deal with it until it leans out, or use other paths to leaning it out that aren't quite so drastic.

answersfound

I like thyroid because I know exactly how much I need every time I take it. With caffeine, my dose requirements are always changing. Sometimes I can take just 100 mg in a sitting and other times I need up to 400 mg.

tara

docall18 said:
post 116438 So if your thyroid isn't in great shape taking a lot of caffeine will quickly use up your thyroid reserves leaving you even more hypothyroid.
This is my speculation for myself too.

Orion

tca300 said:
post 116456 If your liver is heavy in fat, you might have to deal with it until it leans out, or use other paths to leaning it out that aren't quite so drastic.

What are some other paths of leaning out the liver?

I have been trying to push caffeine intake higher, but getting negative reactions, which I assume are due to ffa release.

T

tca300

Haidut talk to about it in the forum. He makes a pretty decent list if you want to look it up.

DaveFoster

If you take thyroid without adequate calories you will trigger estrogen and adrenaline.

youngandold

Only thyroid works like thyroid.

Caffeine is OTC while thyroid is prescription-only for a reason:
caffeine is way weaker and harder to overdose than thyroid

Once you optimize your thyroid levels
you'll need very little or no caffeine.

DaveFoster

There are a few post saying that caffeine with aspirin will act like thyroid. I won't doubt that this is possible, however, my experience show that caffeine and aspirin don't compare to thyroid.

In the end it would depend on the individual. How hypothyroid one is and how long one's body has being accustomed to hypothyroid. Ray Peat spoke of a women that was receiving estrogen shots for about 20 years. Only by increasing thyroid to 500 grains was she able to react to the thyroid.

Ray Peat has said that when he didn't use thyroid. He took about 40 cups of coffee to mimic the effects of thyroid. Whether or not this is workable will depend on other variables.
Oh yeah? 500 grains huh? So 500 pills? Like, a cup full of thyroid pills? A pound of thyroid pills? How did she afford said pills? Did she mash these pills and eat them with butter?

Ahanu

In the end it would depend on the individual. How hypothyroid one is and how long one's body has being accustomed to hypothyroid.
I think so too. i started with a temperature at about 36 and now 2 years later i am over 37 . Without thyroid and regular supplements!! Just with food, coffee and some aspirin.

tara

caffeine is way weaker and harder to overdose than thyroid
Actually, people have overdosed on caffeine with tragic results too. Not to be taken too lightly.

DaveFoster

Actually, people have overdosed on caffeine with tragic results too. Not to be taken too lightly.
Tara's right, but it's important to remember that caffeine has a half-life of 6 hours, while T4 has a functional half life of two weeks. T3 and caffeine would be more comparable.

Simply thinking about building your health being akin to a building a house of LEGO's is a good mindset.

Every step you take needs to take you the right way, every block you place needs to contribute in some way to the final form.
If you're placing every block in the shape of a house, don't expect the last block to turn it into a skyscraper.

What I'm saying is that every supplement or lifestyle change you implement needs to have a clear benefit on its own. If it doesn't, then it's simply not the right thing to take at this point in time.

Case in point, what you say:

"I have found that my thyroid requirements have increased. The caffeine knocks me out unless I increase thyroid a lot."

Well, there are two answers to that, a right and a wrong one, can you tell which is which?

1) "Oh, when you use caffeine you also need to supplement A, D, E, and K, increase your progesterone, take more thyroid, eat 300+ g of carbs and increase your calories to 3000. Otherwise it won't work."
2) Don't take caffeine.

It's not the right block for your building. Keep it simple.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals