Alternative Explanation For "Tolerance" To Caffeine/coffee, And Other Explorations

uhnjoo

I'd like to suggest an alternative explanation for "tolerance" to caffeine/coffee other than improvement of the liver (or at least a partial explanation that works in conjunction with the liver improvement). It is informed by the idea that exercise likewise increases metabolism temporarily.

Exercising on a fasted, empty stomach causes up-regulation or adaptations improving ability to use stored (and probably acutely ingested) fat utilization for energy (along with increased glucose utilization ability). But this takes time. Similarly, the purported "~3 days adaptation"(from Haiduts thread) and even lasting changes can be seen as a lasting increased ability to use stored fat as energy, similarly to how exercise causes this adaptation.

Another further idea: This adaptation (resulting from increasing metabolism) gradually results in less stress hormones needed to be released as the body and cells becomes more efficient at releasing stored fat quickly, as well as all sorts of processes involved. Likewise, I'm sure increasing fitness involves improvements in the speed at which the body can mobilize resources, both glucose and fats.

Another adaptation may be an increased sensitivity to adrenalin and other hormones. I've read before about how fasting occasionally increases sensitivity to adrenaline, in a good way, similar to the concept of insulin sensitivity. Perhaps this allows the body to achieve the results it wants with less stress hormone released? i.e. by creating surges/spikes in adrenalin and cortisol, by stressful, metabolism stimulating events like exercise or caffeine ingestion, the body adapts and responds better in the future (such as with tighter feedback mechanisms, keeping stress hormones at useful rather than excessive levels, and reducing them more quickly). Smaller amounts cortisol/adrenalin will be needed to release needed amino acids for gluconeogenesis, resulting in less cortisol causing problems elsewhere.

This could all be instructive as to how preventative stress hormone spiking could actually be. Hormetic effects, from acute stressors, are anti-stress effects, and should be looked into more here.

Another consideration: The Fat Burning Zone
In light exercise, moderate to slow cardio, the body uses both fat and carbs, and as intensity increases, the ratio of carbs to fat used increases, but fat is still basically always used, and higher intensity results in higher total calories used over same time span, but one realization in the past few years that dispelled myth that fat burning zone burnt more total fat was that in both cases, moderate and high intensity, basically the same level of fat is burnt. The higher intensity also results in alot of post exercise calorie burning, which will certainly be a lot of fat burning if your only eating carbs and spiking/crashing blood sugar by not having fiber or fat with it.

The insight from the "Fat Burning Zone" is that fat is always being used for energy in all activities, on a continuum from light to vigorous, from sitting in a chair (burns more calories than laying down) to sprinting away from a raging grizzly bear, and I suspect anything that increases metabolism will instantly encourage the body to increase efficiency of both glucose and fat utilization (in more ways than cellular metabolism), and, will always do such. In this light, Caffeine, and any other metabolism booster, can be seen as a surrogates for exercise benefits, thus explaining its health protective and longevity benefits in those who use it daily, matching the humans and all animals natural "daily" highly physically active lifestyle.

Since caffeine strongly increases metabolism, like exercise does, having just carbs with your caffeine probably isn't going to prevent it from increasing fat utilization, and probably hasn't for most who have tried it here. To avoid releasing stored fat, one would do best to have fat with the caffeine. (But those using it to clear liver fat may do best to take caffeine before meals, so it reaches highest concentrations. Also on this note: It is well known in bodybuilding circles that taking metabolic boosters for fat burning "cuts" become much more effective if you take them while intermittent fasting. I suspect this could also apply to clearing liver fat)

So having just carbs and protein (both of which are insulemic, especially when removing fat and fibre) probably won't last for the 2-4-6-10 hours+ metabolism increase (which could depend on individual clearance rates of caffeine, thus making the metabolic increase a potential connection for caffeine intolerance and decreased clearance rates by the liver.)

Basically, the idea is regular caffeine use may give you (and maintains) the improved fuel utilization and hormetic broad anti-stress benefits of regular, probably prolonged, fed and fasted exercise without having to exercise.

Drareg

The liver has to deal with endotoxin also.
I don't think many people here believe coffee are any other substance completely inhibits fat being utilised by the body, this has been covered before, you need a massive amount of aspirin/niacinamide maybe to achieve this. Even partially alleviated fat metabolism however decreases anxiety and panic attacks by increasing CO2.
One of the only substances recommended regularly by Peat is vitamin E which saturates mobilised fats. I think saturated fatty acids like coconut oil help T3 enter the cell,if your fats stores are saturated that is,increasing CO2.
Mobilised PUFA for fat stores is an issue,saturated fat is not, long term even over metabolised saturated fat can be an issue.

Coffee/caffeine should be consumed with food,if your sensitive ,small amounts like a quarter of an espresso with a meal will help ,even putting it in a dessert. It could well be the excess liquid form coffee consumption causing issue at times, Americano is not consumed by Italians very much,to be fair their culture has a good instinct for coffee. Ray Peat has mentioned hot liquids sometimes being an issue in certain contexts.

Excercise acts as an uncoupler, uncoupling can increase metabolism, aspirin/caffeine etc uncouples ?
if excercise on an empty stomach will increase adaptation,it's possible it's through a ketogenic state?
Short term it helps,ketonic has given huge relief to many issues,epilepsy etc. Problem is long term,not good.

Over the age of 45 with PUFA stores could possibly cause a lot of harm as you look to get to that adaptive state,a lot of heart attacks in the morning time after sleep/fasting. Exercising at that age on an empty stomach could cause even more harm as you adapt.

I think the hormetic adaptive state you speak of is possibly primal, acute stressor to increase adaptive substance to allow you to get away from Lions,dinosaurs etc
It's not difficult to excercise to excess ,running,deadlifting, etc all have positives but in excess with increased adaptive substance you speak of will decrease intelligence. Infants can run and deadlift but can't unfold complex ideas.
It's possible that the first humans who rather than fight or run from a Lion had plenty of good food one day and seen natures patterns for nets and decide they could trap the lion with a larger net? Creation of the spear could have been discovered by watching a bird spear with its beak or just falling on a sharp stone.

Caffeine/coffee with food create more coherent metabolism ,producing more CO2 increasing genetic expression/creative intelligence. It seems to more about CO2 production.

I think the hormetic effects of acute stress you speak of are not necessarily anti stress, it could be construed as primal fight or flight particularly if they decrease CO2.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals