Theanine Restrains The Over-stimulating Effects Of Caffeine

haidut

Forum Supporter
After writing about how niacinamide helps reduce the "jitters" of caffeine, especially in high doses, I did some research on theanine and in the process I found quite a few studies claiming synergism between the two and that theanine also helps restrain the nervousness that caffeine may cause in higher doses. So, maybe not a bad addition to the niacinamide/aspirin/caffeine combo, especially given theanine's anti-serotonergic effects and caffeine's dopaminergic ones.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10737183

"...Next, the stimulatory effects of caffeine were inhibited by an i.v. administration of theanine at a level higher than 5 micromol/kg (0.781 mg/kg) b.w., and the results suggested that theanine has an antagonistic effect on caffeine's stimulatory action at an almost equivalent molar concentration."

Peata

Just my experience, but I was taking pure theanine in varying doses late last summer/early Fall. I was using it for anti-anxiety, but also to try to get myself into an alpha state (along with certain music) to complete a project. I would take it alone, but sometimes mix it into green tea. I remember early usage I would get an almost too relaxed feeling, a little bit of "drunk". After a while, I didn't get that anymore which was good, as it was a little too strong and not what I was looking for. I used up the whole container of powder eventually and never got more. But I think it helped me relax and focus on my project at the time.

pboy

its such a fine line with green tea, because I find more than a small amount will give me a sour stomach...nothing much after that, just an unpleasant feeling in the stomach. I like the caffeine and theanine, but the particular catechins in green tea seem particularly strong. If I just take it and drink a really strong cup, like even up to 2 tbsp. I do feel almost lightheaded, high...though not that empowered. I could see it being a great state to be in during the creation of art, but its not the same action stimulating feeling that other xanthinated herbs / seeds have. Perhaps it is the theanine balancing the caffeine. Its interesting that green tea actually has more caffeine by weight, almost twice as much, than coffee...but usually people use 1 tsp per cup rather than 2 tbsp. (6tsp) for coffee...and the polyphenols in tea keep you from ever being able to make a strong cup without it become offensive tasting quick. It seems all the xanthinated substances have counter balancing other alkaloids or polyphenols, and they all have a particular niche and amount that can be used comfortably, in what form. I rather enjoy them all, though I have to say due to the particular catechins in tea its probably the xanthine I consume the least, besides maybe guarana just because of its rarity. Yerba mate is more of a daily green caffeine punch that you can use in relatively high amounts without ever being pushed over the edge, though it doesn't have the relaxing theanine that tea does...it doesn't have to be roasted which gives it in my opinion a big advantage over coffee because theres no spoilage issues or acrylamide burnt tastes or gastric irritation. However coffee has more caffeine and pretty much no tannin, so if you want you can make it really strong without compromising taste

narouz

pboy said:
its such a fine line with green tea, because I find more than a small amount will give me a sour stomach...nothing much after that, just an unpleasant feeling in the stomach. I like the caffeine and theanine, but the particular catechins in green tea seem particularly strong. If I just take it and drink a really strong cup, like even up to 2 tbsp. I do feel almost lightheaded, high...though not that empowered. I could see it being a great state to be in during the creation of art, but its not the same action stimulating feeling that other xanthinated herbs / seeds have. Perhaps it is the theanine balancing the caffeine. Its interesting that green tea actually has more caffeine by weight, almost twice as much, than coffee...but usually people use 1 tsp per cup rather than 2 tbsp. (6tsp) for coffee...and the polyphenols in tea keep you from ever being able to make a strong cup without it become offensive tasting quick. It seems all the xanthinated substances have counter balancing other alkaloids or polyphenols, and they all have a particular niche and amount that can be used comfortably, in what form. I rather enjoy them all, though I have to say due to the particular catechins in tea its probably the xanthine I consume the least, besides maybe guarana just because of its rarity. Yerba mate is more of a daily green caffeine punch that you can use in relatively high amounts without ever being pushed over the edge, though it doesn't have the relaxing theanine that tea does...it doesn't have to be roasted which gives it in my opinion a big advantage over coffee because theres no spoilage issues or acrylamide burnt tastes or gastric irritation. However coffee has more caffeine and pretty much no tannin, so if you want you can make it really strong without compromising taste

Enjoyed these pensees on green tea and catechins and polyphenols, pboy!
Ya don't hear this everyday! :)

treelady

I take 200mg l-theanine every night before bed and if I can't sleep I may take another. It usually puts me right to sleep. My body loves it. I have read that it triggers the release of gamma-aminobutyric acid, or GABA in the brain. GABA activates the major calming neurotransmitters, promoting relaxation and reducing anxiety. You aren't supposed to go over 600mg. It is also an antagonist to glutamate receptors which is why I started taking it. They give glutamate blockers for seizures and this is a natural one.

As far as caffeine jitters, I have twice as much milk as coffee when I have it and I drink it slow so that takes care of my jitters.

Peata

haidut said:
post 44592 After writing about how niacinamide helps reduce the "jitters" of caffeine, especially in high doses, I did some research on theanine and in the process I found quite a few studies claiming synergism between the two and that theanine also helps restrain the nervousness that caffeine may cause in higher doses. So, maybe not a bad addition to the niacinamide/aspirin/caffeine combo, especially given theanine's anti-serotonergic effects and caffeine's dopaminergic ones.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10737183

"...Next, the stimulatory effects of caffeine were inhibited by an i.v. administration of theanine at a level higher than 5 micromol/kg (0.781 mg/kg) b.w., and the results suggested that theanine has an antagonistic effect on caffeine's stimulatory action at an almost equivalent molar concentration."

Having used caffeine and theanine together, yes the theanine does antagonize caffeine's stimulation. I get the benefits of the caffeine - alertness, without nervousness. I even have a supplement that has theanine: caffeine 2:1 in the capsules.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals