Aspirin Is Dopaminergic; Additive Effects With Caffeine

haidut

Forum Supporter
It is a well established fact that caffeine is dopaminergic in effect even though it does not bind directly to any dopamine "receptors". It looks like aspirin is also dopaminergic. As you can see from the study, using aspirin alone required doses equivalent do 5g - 6g in a human. However, in a combination with caffeine in a human dose of about 50mg - 75mg much lower doses of aspirin were effective and synergized with caffeine. An aspirin dose of as low as a human equivalent of 500mg combined with the low dose caffeine displayed additive dopaminergic effects for as long as 6 hours.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/41063

"...Both aspirin at a high dose (400 mg kg-1) and caffeine (5 mg kg-1) induced hyperactivity in the DA rat, but lower doses of aspirin were without effect. Caffeine-induced hyperactivity was brief (2 h) but that due to aspirin was evident from 1--6 h after dosing. Co-administration of the two drugs caused long-lasting hyperactivity, even with doses of aspirin which had no stimulant effects themselves. Absorptive and metabolic effects did not appear to play a major role in the interaction. The most likely effect is that of salicylate on catecholamine utilization in the central nervous system, which is compounded in the presence of a phosphodiesterase inhibitor."

Here is some info on the dopaminergic effects of caffeine by itself:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9364486
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25871974

Maxen93

In sweden one of the most popular OTC painkiller is called treo, which is 500 mg aspirin and 50 mg caffeine. Seems like a good choice for any swedes on the forum.

Peata

In the US, there's Anacin which is 500 mg. aspirin and 32 mg caffeine. Maybe a little low on the caffeine.

I just take aspirin and caffeine pills or coffee.

M

marikay

If I were to take 1 and 1/2 tablets of aspirin that have 325 mgs in each tablet, I'd get 487.5 mgs of aspirin. Would that be enough, along with the requisite amount of caffeine, to get this dopamine effect? Or would the missing 12.5 mgs of aspirin make a big difference?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
If I were to take 1 and 1/2 tablets of aspirin that have 325 mgs in each tablet, I'd get 487.5 mgs of aspirin. Would that be enough, along with the requisite amount of caffeine, to get this dopamine effect? Or would the missing 12.5 mgs of aspirin make a big difference?

It should be enough. The study was a rodent study so the doses are approximate and depend on weight. I should have mentioned just the human equivalent dose in mg/kg, which for the aspirin/caffeine combo was 7mg/kg aspirin and 0.7mg/kg for caffeine. So, depending on your weight it could be more than enough aspirin in those tablets.

DrJ

There is also a painkiller offered in the USA called BC Powder. The original version has 845mg aspirin and 65mg caffeine. It's also really cheap. I pour a packet in my baking soda 'shampoo' for extra metabolic boost...

Peata

There is also a painkiller offered in the USA called BC Powder. The original version has 845mg aspirin and 65mg caffeine. It's also really cheap. I pour a packet in my baking soda 'shampoo' for extra metabolic boost...
Forgot about BC Powders. I have some of that in cabinet. I also have a box of Stanback Headache Powders. It contains 845 mg aspirin and 65 mg caffeine.

Frankdee20

Aspirin can block GABA receptors and maybe this leads to higher DA activity... Doesn’t it also increase Tyrosine Hydroxylase ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Aspirin can block GABA receptors and maybe this leads to higher DA activity... Doesn’t it also increase Tyrosine Hydroxylase ?

I think it does increase TH as its functioning depends on OXPHOS and aspirin increases respiration. Aspirin also lowers serum serotonin, in almost any dose (even baby aspirin), which by itself should have an indirect pro-dopamine effect without affecting the GABA system.

Regina

In the US, there's Anacin which is 500 mg. aspirin and 32 mg caffeine. Maybe a little low on the caffeine.

I just take aspirin and caffeine pills or coffee.
with some gnarly exipients though.
Sweet cafe con lechea and a small scoop of aniprin (powdered horse aspirin) is easy enough.

Attachments

• anacin.jpg
    anacin.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 41

David90

It is a well established fact that caffeine is dopaminergic in effect even though it does not bind directly to any dopamine "receptors". It looks like aspirin is also dopaminergic. As you can see from the study, using aspirin alone required doses equivalent do 5g - 6g in a human. However, in a combination with caffeine in a human dose of about 50mg - 75mg much lower doses of aspirin were effective and synergized with caffeine. An aspirin dose of as low as a human equivalent of 500mg combined with the low dose caffeine displayed additive dopaminergic effects for as long as 6 hours.

Aspirin-caffeine interaction in the rat - PubMed

"...Both aspirin at a high dose (400 mg kg-1) and caffeine (5 mg kg-1) induced hyperactivity in the DA rat, but lower doses of aspirin were without effect. Caffeine-induced hyperactivity was brief (2 h) but that due to aspirin was evident from 1--6 h after dosing. Co-administration of the two drugs caused long-lasting hyperactivity, even with doses of aspirin which had no stimulant effects themselves. Absorptive and metabolic effects did not appear to play a major role in the interaction. The most likely effect is that of salicylate on catecholamine utilization in the central nervous system, which is compounded in the presence of a phosphodiesterase inhibitor."

Here is some info on the dopaminergic effects of caffeine by itself:
Caffeine mimics the effect of a dopamine D2/3 receptor agonist on the expression of immediate early genes in globus pallidus - PubMed
Caffeine increases striatal dopamine D2/D3 receptor availability in the human brain - PubMed
Interesting. I'm a bit scared of Aspirin and have not try'ed it out yet (i don't know why, though). But if it has such good Dopaminergic Effects, it might be worth a Try.

During my experiments with 3g aspirin a day with coffee I realized how the world seems different, more real and the brain was all time awake. Playing games seemed way easier than ever and it's probably because an increased brain energy state leads to a higher IQ. I will take aspirin and coffee for life.

Frankdee20

During my experiments with 3g aspirin a day with coffee I realized how the world seems different, more real and the brain was all time awake. Playing games seemed way easier than ever and it's probably because an increased brain energy state leads to a higher IQ. I will take aspirin and coffee for life.
Aspirin and coffee can definately do that, but man, that is a high dose.

Aspirin and coffee can definately do that, but man, that is a high dose.
True, sometimes I think about the negatives, like bleeding, but I never felt them.
Even with the negatives, it's such a game changer. I think it can increase brain metabolism permanently in the long run and all the studies convinced me that's a medicine from the gods.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals