Caffeine Effect On Various "receptors"

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study gives some indication as to what the chronic effects of caffeine ingestion are in terms of various "receptors" as defined by mainstream medicine. I attached a screenshot from the study, which summarizes the effects nicely. It's probably not a surprise that caffeine is an adenosine receptor antagonist as shown by the table, but some of the other effects are interesting as well. Caffeine is also a 5-HT1 / 5-HT2 antagonist, beta adrenergic agonist, nicotine antagonist, muscarine antagonist, GABA antagonist, and calcium channel blocker. I think, these properties of caffeine help explain some of its positive metabolic effects.
Caffeine was administered for 4 days and the human equivalent dose was about 7mg/kg. I am not sure if 4 days is long enough to be considered "chronic" but it is long enough to highlight some of the major beneficial pathways through which caffeine acts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3437321/

Attachments

• caffeine_receptors.png
    caffeine_receptors.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 527

Xemnoraq

Damn, it seems like most beneficial substances have some downfalls, the GABA antagonist/adrenergic agonist was new to me but expected. I always caffeines adrenergic effects were from low blood sugar alone? Maybe both? Gaba antagonist would explain maybe the alertness from caffeine (aside from adenosine antagonism)

This could also explain why maybe some people struggle with caffeine, i know you mentioned in a few podcasts haidut that you struggled with caffeine unless it was thyroid im thinking of. But maybe people with already low gaba and tendacy to have higher adrenaline find caffeine pushes their gaba too low and adrenaline too high,
I at times find caffeine to be far too stimulating and find it harder to build a tolerance where as i have some friends who could drink like 4-6 energy drinks a day with no issues at all and have no anxiety.

Sometimes i find even the smallest amount of caffeine though can be great,

Earlier today i was sick with a swollen throat and couldnt sleep, i had just a small sip of coffee not even alot and instantly my body relaxed and this wave of calm came over and i fell asleep easily,

Do you think that too much caffeine at once being (more than youre used to) the body treats it like its being poisoned or treats it like a toxin like marijuana and mounts a stress response? Some people have suggested caffeines benefits are not just from its good effects but also toughening up the system through a hormesis like effect, sort of like how Peat has said a very small amount of endotoxin, just the right amount toughens up the system.

Its interesting to note how former and current drug addicts can be immune to various doses of certain drugs almost like small amounts of poison builds the antidote within, not too sure.

But now that i know about its anti gaba effects and pro adrenergic effects i think ill definetely go lighter on the caffeine this is great thanks for sharing

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals