Caffeine Is A Strong Antiviral Agent

haidut

Forum Supporter
As such it may be helpful for a large number of conditions ranging from the common cold to HIV. In fact, it seems that many of the pharma antiviral drugs used for herpes, HIV, and so on are in fact caffeine-based.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8700184

"...Three purine nucleoside analogues, penciclovir (PCV), acyclovir (ACV) and ganciclovir (GCV), were assessed for in-vivo genotoxicity in the mouse bone marrow micronucleus assay, together with the xanthine (purine) analogue, caffeine (CAF). All these compounds exhibit anti-viral properties and the first three are marketed anti-viral drugs. Taking into account magnitude of response, slope of dose-response curve and no-effect doses, the order of potency was GCV > ACV > (CAF?) > PCV."

So, based on the above study, caffeine seems to be of similar origin and effectiveness to the blockbuster antiviral drugs, but the public is getting duped into paying for pharma drugs with much worse toxicity profile than caffeine?!

In support of caffeine's effectiveness as antiviral agent, here are some studies that claim it may be effective again herpes, common cold and HIV.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8740461

"...The efficacy of Cafon gel also corresponded to that of oral treatment with 5 mg/kg or more of acyclovir in our cutaneous infection system."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9443519

"...These results suggest that [caffeine] drugs which increase alertness can remove the malaise associated with the common cold, and that increased stimulation of the sensory afferent nerves may also be beneficial."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15840517

"...We also demonstrate that caffeine-related methylxanthines including the clinically used compound, theophylline, act at the same step of the HIV-1 life-cycle as caffeine and efficiently inhibit HIV-1 replication in primary human cells."

TubZy

Surprised no one actually replied to this, this is actually pretty remarkable despite how cheap caffeine pills are..

TubZy

..... or how cheap and accessible simple coffee is

True, coffee doesn't cut it for me, especially at high doses of 600mg+ of caffeine a day, I would have to be drinking coffee all day long...

schultz

True, coffee doesn't cut it for me, especially at high doses of 600mg+ of caffeine a day, I would have to be drinking coffee all day long...

That's only like 2 grande Starbucks coffees.

A grande blonde roast coffee has 360mg of caffeine

The Tall has 270mg.

A venti has 475mg of caffeine... wow!

I think it protects the genetic code by gathering around it. I did get into the literature a few times about CAMP and TOR but never came to anything useful.

Oh there's tons of those including about SIRT and mTOR, the viruses seem to be doing numbers with the way the code gets packed up. This is where caffeine likes to work also, but it got too complex for me and I didn't know if it would help things or makes things worse. Of course, by looking at end results we know it makes things better, but I had gotten lost in the deductive frenzy of all those papers.

EIRE24

You think caffeine pills could help with acne? If it's antiviral?

TubZy

Oh there's tons of those including about SIRT and mTOR, the viruses seem to be doing numbers with the way the code gets packed up. This is where caffeine likes to work also, but it got too complex for me and I didn't know if it would help things or makes things worse. Of course, by looking at end results we know it makes things better, but I had gotten lost in the deductive frenzy of all those papers.

Yeah, I tried looking it up further as well there are just so many beneficial pathways which it can act, hard to pinpoint

TubZy

That's only like 2 grande Starbucks coffees.

A grande blonde roast coffee has 360mg of caffeine

The Tall has 270mg.

A venti has 475mg of caffeine... wow!

That is expensive, I prefer the pills lol I get like 120 of them for under $10

Peatogenic

Is the idea that antivirals are for existant viruses, or can also be used to protect from New ones?