Aspirin Is Dopaminergic; Additive Effects With Caffeine

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, Sep 3, 2015.

1. haidut

haidut Member

It is a well established fact that caffeine is dopaminergic in effect even though it does not bind directly to any dopamine "receptors". It looks like aspirin is also dopaminergic. As you can see from the study, using aspirin alone required doses equivalent do 5g - 6g in a human. However, in a combination with caffeine in a human dose of about 50mg - 75mg much lower doses of aspirin were effective and synergized with caffeine. An aspirin dose of as low as a human equivalent of 500mg combined with the low dose caffeine displayed additive dopaminergic effects for as long as 6 hours.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/41063

"...Both aspirin at a high dose (400 mg kg-1) and caffeine (5 mg kg-1) induced hyperactivity in the DA rat, but lower doses of aspirin were without effect. Caffeine-induced hyperactivity was brief (2 h) but that due to aspirin was evident from 1--6 h after dosing. Co-administration of the two drugs caused long-lasting hyperactivity, even with doses of aspirin which had no stimulant effects themselves. Absorptive and metabolic effects did not appear to play a major role in the interaction. The most likely effect is that of salicylate on catecholamine utilization in the central nervous system, which is compounded in the presence of a phosphodiesterase inhibitor."

Here is some info on the dopaminergic effects of caffeine by itself:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9364486
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25871974

2. Maxen93

Maxen93 Member

In sweden one of the most popular OTC painkiller is called treo, which is 500 mg aspirin and 50 mg caffeine. Seems like a good choice for any swedes on the forum.

3. Peata

Peata Member

In the US, there's Anacin which is 500 mg. aspirin and 32 mg caffeine. Maybe a little low on the caffeine.

I just take aspirin and caffeine pills or coffee.

4. marikay

marikay Member

If I were to take 1 and 1/2 tablets of aspirin that have 325 mgs in each tablet, I'd get 487.5 mgs of aspirin. Would that be enough, along with the requisite amount of caffeine, to get this dopamine effect? Or would the missing 12.5 mgs of aspirin make a big difference?

5. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

It should be enough. The study was a rodent study so the doses are approximate and depend on weight. I should have mentioned just the human equivalent dose in mg/kg, which for the aspirin/caffeine combo was 7mg/kg aspirin and 0.7mg/kg for caffeine. So, depending on your weight it could be more than enough aspirin in those tablets.

6. DrJ

DrJ Member

There is also a painkiller offered in the USA called BC Powder. The original version has 845mg aspirin and 65mg caffeine. It's also really cheap. I pour a packet in my baking soda 'shampoo' for extra metabolic boost...

7. Peata

Peata Member

Forgot about BC Powders. I have some of that in cabinet. I also have a box of Stanback Headache Powders. It contains 845 mg aspirin and 65 mg caffeine.